Clay masks have multiple benefits and we all love using them to get clear, smooth, and flawless skin. However, there are a few things that you must follow to get maximum benefits out of clay mask. In this post, I will be talking about the right way to use clay mask. Here are some clay masks that you can try for clear and smooth skin – L’Oreal Paris Pure-Clay Mask Exfoliate and Refining Treatment Mask, Homemade Kaolin Clay and Cinnamon Face Mask For Clear and Bright Skin, 3 Marvellous Clays You must Try for Rejuvenated Skin and Hair.
1. Cleanse the skin: There is no point in applying a mask on dirty skin or on top of oily layer. By doing that, you actually apply the mask on a layer of makeup and dead cells. Make sure to remove skin’s debris with a cleanser to get a clear canvas. You must not use a very drying, harsh cleanser as clay masks are drying enough on skin. Use something that would maintain the natural moisture level and pH level of the skin. Recommendation: Colorbar Hydra White Intense Whitening Cleanser, Moiz Sensitive Cleanser.
2. Open up the Pores: It is important to open up the pores before you apply any clay mask. You can easily do this by steaming the face gently. You can buy a steaming system that they use at parlours or make your own system with a big bowl of hot water and a towel. This helps the mask to get into the pores, deep cleanse it and give a long-lasting effect.
3. Apply an even layer: If you want same result all over the face, you must apply an even layer of the product. You do not need a lot of clay mask to get a good effect. Applying a thin layer that covers the whole face does wonders. You can either use a brush to blend it out or you can trust your fingers too.
4. Do not overcomplicate: Try to keep your masks simple and effective. You do not need to add a lot of products to your clay mask. You may experiment with the mixing medium (egg white, milk or plain water) and add essential oils in it if you want to, but the primary ingredient should always be the clay.
5. Skip the Eye Area: Irrespective of the skin type, the area around the eyes is tender and soft. Clay mask can dry out this area and lead to form wrinkles super fast. Avoid this area while you are applying the clay mask. You can also apply some cucumber paste around the eye area when you are clay-masking to keep it hydrated.
6. Do not let it go hard and flaky: Many people love to wait for the clay mask to dry out completely before washing it off. This procedure is completely wrong. When the mask is wet, the skin starts absorbing all minerals from it, which allows the mask to go dry. As it starts drying, the skin experiences a contraction and this helps to improve circulation in general. This is when you must wash off the mask. Keeping the mask for too long can be too drying for the skin and that is not a healthy thing for your skin at all.
7. Properly rinsing the mask off: You must rinse off the mask with lukewarm water. You can either do this with the palm of your hands or with a wash towel. Remove the mask in gentle circular motions. This gives a mild exfoliation to the skin too. Make sure that it gets completely removed.
8. Pat Dry: Do not rub off the water from the face after washing. Be gentle to the skin after suing the mask. Pat the water dry and give it a minute or two after that before you apply the moisturizer.
9. Apply Lightweight Moisturizer: Using a heavy moisturizer will undo all the goods that the clay mask did for your skin. Keep the post-masking skincare simple. Apply pure rosewater as a toner. Then you can use a very little amount of gel-based moisturizer to give your skin the hydration it needs. If you do not let the mask go too dry, you won’t feel the need of a heavy moisturizer either.
10. Use Once a Week: Do not over-use the clay mask as that wouldn’t be great for the skin. Try to go for it once a week. If you follow this regime regularly, you will definitely see awesome results.
L’Oreal Paris Pure-Clay Mask Exfoliate and Refining Treatment Mask
Homemade Kaolin Clay and Cinnamon Face Mask For Clear and Bright Skin
3 Marvellous Clays You must Try for Rejuvenated Skin and Hair
Innisfree Jeju Volcanic Color Clay Mask Calming