We don’t actually mind the extreme dryness and roughness around elbow area because no amount of moisturizer seems to work to soften the skin, and no amount of massaging lemon peel would work; in fact applying lemon peel can worsen the situation. In this post, we list down 10 Tips To Soften Dry Skin on the Elbows, read on:
1. Exfoliate with this Papaya Scrub: Exfoliating your elbows with the help of harsh loofahs and brushes might seem like an easy and quick fix; however, there are gentle and more effective ways to exfoliate skin, and one of them is using this papaya and oats scrub. Papaya has an enzymed called “papain,” which dissolves dead skin cells and also improves collagen turnover. Regular use of papaya also removes blemishes, dark spots and evens out skin tone, giving a glow to the face, naturally. The other ingredient in this scrub, oats, also acts as a gentle exfoliant. Oats is alsodeeply moisturizing your skin and helps fight against premature ageing. Here’s how you can make an effective homemade body scrub to smoothen rough elbows. But do remember to
massage this scrub on to wet skin, keep for 20 minutes, and wash away in gentle circular motion.
2. Milk Pack: Milk is a natural moisturizer, also rich in lactic acid. While lactic acid exfoliates and reveals a smoother texture, the moisturizing properties of milk keep your elbows protected. To make this milk pack, dip a cotton ball in raw milk, and massage on the rough skin of elbows. Keep for 20 minutes, rinse off with normal water.
3. Moisture with a Thick Lip Balm: Using the right kind of moisturizer is the key to keep your elbows protected, and your regular body lotion may not provide sufficient moisturization. For your elbows, use a thick lip balm instead that deeply condition dry and chapped skin.
4. Never Forget To Apply Sunscreen: Elbow is the last place where we would think of applying sunscreen. Keeping your elbows covered is a sure shot way to protect them from harsh rays of sun. Protect your elbows with a broad-spectrum sunscreen to prevent skin damage. Here’s the list of “10 best fragrance-free sunscreens” for all skin types.
5. Apart from moisturizing your elbows throughout the day, you need something heavy duty on your elbows to treat them from inside while you get your 8 hours of beauty sleep. For this, we suggest that you use Vaseline petroleum jelly on your elbows at night. Just apply a thick coat of jelly on your elbows before bedtime, forget about it and doze off.
6. Overnight Treatment with Coconut or Avocado Oil: Coconut oil and olive oil can help soften rough skin. Apply either coconut oil or olive oil before bedtime and allow these oils to penetrate deep into the skin and smooth out the dryness. Coconut oil also treats hyperpigmentation and moisturizes skin as well. You can also try this mask, mix 3 tbsp of coconut oil with the juice of half a lemon. Massage the elbow area for 2 to 3 minutes, keep for 15 minutes, and wash off with warm water.
7. Invest in a Good Retinol Product: Retinol is not just for your face, it also exfoliates the top layer of skin, stimulates cell turnover, and help replace old dead cells with new smoother ones. Here’s a list of “9 Retinol Creams For Beginners.”
9. Make a serum by mixing equal quantities of almond oil and aloe vera gel. Use this as serum and leave it overnight.
10. Baking Soda Scrub: As we all know, baking soda has exfoliating properties and when used as a scrub, it will soften the elbows and clear darkness as well. Take 1 tbsp of baking soda and add water bit by bit to make a paste. Apply on the elbow area, scrub in a circular motion for 2 to 3 minutes, and wipe off with normal water.
With these tips, you can effectively soften rough elbow skin and clear dark spots as well.