I’ve been using sunscreen forever now.. like since we started getting these lakme’ ones in 4th 5th standard.. I used to tan and get sun burnt easily so my mum used to slather it on me. Always!
I hated how It felt.. all white and shiny and heavy..
Today, we all know how important it is to shield ourselves from the harmful UVA UVB rays and all.. I really won’t get into that cause everyone has read Sanjeev’s article. 😀
READ THESE FOR WEIGHT LOSS: Diet Chart for Weight Loss | How to Lose Weight With PCOS | 10 Best Herbal Pills for Weight Loss | 10 Best Tricks for Lazy People to Lose Weight | Best Diet for PCOS to Lose Weight
I’m going to talk about the Lotus Herbals Safe Sun sunblocks that I own.
- 3-in-1 matte look daily sunblock (SPF 40)
- Intensive sunblock spray (SPF 50)
- Extreme sun block cream (SPF 60)
1. Lotus Herbals 3-in-1 matte look daily sunblock (SPF 40)
READ THESE FOR GLOWING SKIN: 9 Best Face Packs For Glowing Skin | 10 Tips by Shahnaz Husain for Glowing Skin | Home Remedies For Glowing Skin | 7 Besan Face Packs for Glowing Skin | Beauty Products For Glowing Skin
Priced at INR 275 for 120 g.
What the Lotus Herbals 3-in-1 matte look daily sunblock claims-
3-in-1 daily sunblock is a revolutionary sun protection formulation which combines broad-spectrum UVA (PA +++) & UVB(SPF 40) protection with skin lightening ingredients to give a uniform matte finish to the skin. Its fast absorption and non-greasy formula ensures a shine-free, light & clean feel.
BEST OF IMBB: How To Make Vitamin C Serum At Home | 7 Best Pigmentation Creams in India | 8 Natural Products to Add Volume to Thin, Fine Hair | 8 Ways to Tighten Sagging Breasts | How to Remove Pimple Marks from Face | Top 10 Shampoos for Dry and Rough Hair | 8 Best Drugstore Foundations That Do Not Oxidize
Herbal extracts of birch, mallow & hops.
Best of IMBB: Best Hair Serums for Dry Frizzy Hair | Homemade Hair Regrowth Oil to Prevent Hair Loss | How To Lose Fat From Face in 30 Days | Homemade Face Pack for Instantly Bright and Glowing Skin | 10 Products To Get Rid of Skin Pigmentation | 7 Ways To Make Black Lips Pink!
Water, talcum, kaolin light, glycerine, polyacrylamideC13-14 Isoparaffin laureth-7, oxybenzoene,octyl methoxy cinnamate, titanium dioxide, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, isopropyl myristare,cyclopentasiloxane, elcosene, copolymer, fumed silica, 2- phenoxyethanol, methyl paraben, propyl paraben, methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone, red iron oxide, yellow iron oxide, fragrance.
BEST OF FAIRNESS: 10 Best Skin Whitening Creams in India | 7 Homemade Face Packs for Instant Glow and Fairness | 6 Best Herbal Fairness Creams | 10 Best Fairness Packs in the Market | 7 Best Pigmentation Creams in India
Pros and cons of Lotus Herbals 3-in-1 matte look daily sunblock
- This comes in a tube.
- The consistency is gel like. It is an opaque formula; I feel it leaves the tint to even out the skin tone, in turn making it bright and even toned. (Non moisturizing)
- This is not a smooth gel/fluid.. I feel rough when I rub it in my face..
- It definitely is mattifying.. I was a little sceptical about using this during my very dry skin days, but this DID NOT LET ME DOWN. It dint dry me out. No stretchy feeling after this.
- This delivers what it claims- for all skin types, mattifying and sun protection.
- This doesn’t claim to be water/ sweat proof and it is not.
- For my very dry skin, I tend to overdo my moisturizing and this product completely makes it nice and even.
- I am on my second tube.
- I dint really care about the fairness claim (I like to get tanned and I tried to skip sunblock many a times but either my mum or my conscience would threaten me before I committed this crime! :P).
- But as soon as I wear it, my face does look brighter..
- So I like this.
- Honestly, everything about sun protection still goes over my head, but the UVA UVB- SPF 40 somehow comforts me. I feel like I am protected. 😀 😛
- I never read the ingredients list because this is the only very high chemical concentrated product that I always used consciously. So I was really scared to read it even today. But you gotta do what you gotta do!! J
- This spreads very easily, but the rough texture is what I dislike.
- I would have liked this product to be fragrance free. I don’t like its fragrance. Stays on for quite some time.
- I can’t wear this with white!!! All my white tops have gotten dirty after I apply this to my neck. I my clothes in the morning itself so I can’t say if the colour is transferrable after sometime. I think not.
- I have to use another sunscreen for other body parts. But I like this for my feet. No chip chip so I don’t slip. 😛 (I thought sunscreens were stickyyy)
- The opening in the tube is quite big and this product can get a little runny and spill out and create a mess (all inside the cap). Thankfully, the cap is a tight flip that won’t let the sunblock leek. [I face this problem with almost all my lotus tubes. I don’t store them cap down. I keep all these tubes in a jar crimp down and head up].
My older tube of this sunscreen (i dint use this for 4 days, and could never get myself to use it again) and the lotus sheamoist (before and after every use, I have to wipe it) look like this-
SOLUTIONS FOR ACNE: 5 Remedies to Treat Acne at Home | Top 10 Creams for Fading Acne Scars | 10 Home Remedies to Treat Scalp Acne | 8 Home Remedies to Reduce Acne Scars | 10 Tea Tree Oil Products for Acne-Prone and Sensitive Skin | Home Remedies to Treat Hormonal Acne
All in all I quite like this sunblock, only for my face. I’d give it 3 and ½ stars.
Lotus Herbals Extreme sun block cream (SPF 60)
Priced at INR 375 for 60g.
HAIR: 8 Natural Products to Add Volume to Thin, Fine Hair | 8 Ways to Regrow Hair on Bald Spots | 6 Hair Growth Secrets from Around the World | 7 Best Hair Oils For Faster Hair Growth | How to Make Rough Hair Silky | 30 Killer Hair Care Tips
What the lotus website says-
This extreme sun block cream contains high concentrations of intense sun screens and sun filters to reflect, scatter and absorb all the UVA & UVB rays. Protects skin completely against skin ageing, tanning, skin cancer and all sorts of UVA rays associated damages.
- Oregno- anti oxidant, anti irritant
- Chamomile- soothing and calming.
- Carrot- anti-tan.
octyl methoxy cinnamate, avonbenzone, benzophenone-3, micronized titanium dioxide, methylene bis-benzotriazolyl, tetramethyl butylphenol,
Photos and swatches-
Doesn’t spread! After trying harder.
Pros and cons of Lotus Herbals Extreme sun block cream (SPF 60)-
- SPF 60. UVA index 20. = happy me.
- Sweat/ water proof.
- Use of natural ingredients.
- Their claim of the product being *non-greasy* is something we can all laugh at!
- It is a good product, Lotus is doing a really good job and i always believed they delivered what they promised. Why lie about such small things? Puts me off!
- This is the typical old school sunscreen. Sticky, won’t spread and will leave a white cast on your face. Your dry skin will feel like it has been polished with wax.
- It was difficult spreading it on my hand. It was worse on my face. It is just going to stick in patches. Very very difficult to spread nicely and evenly.
- The white cast- okay I won’t talk about that.
- My face was shining! I never dreamt about it. You know how I said I over moisturise with almond oil? (Okay shoot me!) My face didn’t shine then! My face was white and shiny!
- It is very sticky!
- Thick white cream that won’t budge. You have to struggle to spread it on any part.
- After all this, it has to and will stay sweat/water proof.
- Lotus always claims that their products are for “all skin types” I feel the basic categorising should have been done.
I will try to make this sunscreen work for me.. Maybe around my eyes, ears and all. Actually, there is nothing to make this work. It is just a pain to use. But the extreme sun protection is responsible for it. So you can’t complain. I felt no burning sensation on my cheeks and hands and they dint even turn red, that, I generally do without any sunscreen. (it was the sunniest day in this month). I don’t know if this is how I should expect it to work..
I really like lotus as a brand. Their products are cruelty free. So even if something doesn’t work for me, I wouldn’t break up with this brand because there are plenty of other options this brand provides
Will I buy this again? If it helps my eye area (socket around the eyes and cheekbones). But then there are so many other options from the safe sun range, so maybe not.
I would give it 3 stars. The consistency should have been workable. We can deal with everything else.
I can’t say anything about recommending this product but I can easily recommend the SPF 50 spray from this range, to which I would give 4 and ½ stars. I’m on my 4th bottle! 😀 . Read review here-
I would like to add the complete ingredients list for the Intensive sunblock spray (SPF 50), UVA index – 16.
Water, octyl methoxy cinnamate,oxybenzone, glycerin, methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, octa hydroxyl stearate, propylene glycol, cyclopentaciloxane, sorbitan monooleate, cetostearyl alcohol, acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, triethanolamine, salvia officinalis (sage) extract, anthemis nobilisd (chamomile extract), thymus vulgaris (thyme) extract, 2- phenoxyethanol, methyl paraben, propyl paraben, disodium EDTA, fragrance.
Phew! I put all this on my face?!