WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
I have combination to oily skin so my aim is always to reduce the oiliness in my T-zone while focusing on not drying out my cheeks which are very prone to dry, flaky patches. However, with a lot of trial and error, I discovered a home made face pack that would meet these needs –
MULTANI MITTI FACE PACK
- Multani mitti which is a kind of soil that is very rich in minerals. It includes silica that helps absorb excess oil. It also helps remove dead skin cells and stimulates blood circulation to the face.
- Rose water which is a natural humectant which moisturizes the skin, while toning it gently.
How to make Multani Mitti FacePack:
- Take about 2 heaped tablespoons of multani mitti in a bowl. I buy mine in huge chunks and powder it at home.
- Mix it with enough rosewater or even just plain water to make a thick paste.
- Add 1 tablespoon of neem powder for acne or blemish prone skin (I don’t do this).
How to use:
- Apply a thick layer on the face and let it dry.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Splash the face with cold water or chilled rose water.
What I like about this pack:
- It is very easy to make.
- My skin is much more balanced – the oily areas aren’t as oily but the dry areas aren’t too dry either.
- I have fewer blackheads.
- My skin looks a lot more clear and healthy – a sort of ‘natural glow from within’ as my mom calls it!
What I dislike about this pack:
- Fuller’s earth is a bit tough to find – I pick it up from a small market in Pilani, Rajasthan in huge quantities every time I’m there. But I have no idea where I can get it in Delhi!
Other than that, I’m 100% satisfied with this homemade face pack and I use it once every week!
My rating – :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
A word of warning – this pack is most suitable for oily skin. It is not suitable for those with dry skin as it would be too dehydrating! You may want to try a mask which has a Kaolin clay base. Unlike multani mitti, this does not draw out oils from the skin, so it is suitable for those with dry skin as well. However, this too exfoliates the skin and increases blood circulation!
The Body Shop’s Warming Mineral Mask Review
One such mask is The Body Shop’s Warming Mineral Mask which is a self-heating deep cleansing clay mask. I bought this about a month back and used it twice a week, instead of my multani mitti pack for 3 weeks. Here’s my review on this mask –
The Body Shop WARMING Mineral MASK (Rs. 795 for 100 ml)
- Kaolin clay to deep cleanse the skin and draw out impurities.
- Seaweed extracts for conditioning and hydrating the skin.
- Zeolite that releases heat on contact with water, helping to draw out impurities.
How to use The Body Shop’s Warming Mineral Mask :
- Apply a generous layer to clean, wet skin. You will immediately feel a warming sensation on your skin. Avoid the eye and lip areas.
- Leave on for 5 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Use one to two times per week after cleansing.
What I like about The Body Shop’s Warming Mineral Mask:
- Its consistency – It’s more watery than many other masks that I’ve tried so it was easy to spread on my face.
- The packaging – Finally! A mask in a convenient tube instead of a tub. It’s very easy to control the amount of product I take out and use.
- Its smell – This mask has nice natural smell, just like my multani mitti mask.
- I also liked applying it on a wet face – it makes for easier application.
- It didn’t leave my skin feeling too tight.
What I dislike about The Body Shop’s Warming Mineral Mask:
*The “warming sensation”. I thought it would be a nice warmth, something like what I feel when I’m steaming my face. Unfortunately, the moment this mask came into contact with my wet skin, it became HOT. I got so freaked out the first time I tried it that I dropped the tube! However, the sensation only lasted for a few seconds.
- This mask doesn’t dry! It kept sort of dripping off my skin every time I used it. Plus, I could never evenly cover my skin because the mask would keep running down my face!
- It didn’t really “deep cleanse”. My face looked cleaner of course, but there were no visible results otherwise. My pores didn’t look smaller and my blackheads and whiteheads didn’t reduce.
Would I repurchase? Nope. I mainly bought it because the ‘warming’ thing sounded pretty cool. However, this didn’t work any wonders on my skin so I’m going back to the multani mitti pack for my skin.
My rating – :-* :-*