Is Toothpaste Good for Acne?
Acne is one of the worst enemies for your skin. When it comes to acne, we know you must have tried many remedies, right from applying Fuller’s Earth (multani mitti), to honey, almond oil, to egg mask and many more. But time and again, we all have heard that toothpaste is extremely good to get rid of acne. Well, we need to find out if there is any truth in that and is toothpaste good for acne.
Is Toothpaste Good for Acne?
Toothpaste is known to treat acne on the logic that toothpaste is drying in nature and thus it has a drying effect on your skin. Toothpaste has ingredients like – baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, menthol, essential oils, triclosan etc. These ingredients will help in reducing redness and inflammation on your skin and thus treat acne in the long run.
How to treat toothpaste for your acne?
Let’s have a look at the application part and how to apply toothpaste the correct way to get rid of acne and pimples:
- Wash your face – Any spot treatment is only applicable when your face is neat and clean. It should be dry as well. Thus, wash your face with your regular face wash after clearing makeup. Dry your face.
- Take a pea-sized amount of toothpaste on your finger – You need to take out a little paste from the tube. A little amount of paste will be enough to cover your pimple or acne.
- Apply the toothpaste on the pimple – Apply the toothpaste directly on the acne. Make sure that you don’t apply it to the surrounding area because toothpaste is drying in nature and applying toothpaste on the adjacent area can cause further dry and irritate you skin. Toothpaste is good only for spot treatment.
- Leave the toothpaste overnight or at least for a minimum of two hours – it is advisable to leave the toothpaste for a minimum of 2 hours, but in order to get the best results, it is advisable to leave the tooth paste overnight. In case you have extremely sensitive skin, then leave the toothpaste for only 15 minutes. This will also give you similar results.
- Wash Off – Wash off the toothpaste with normal water and rub the area slowly with a clean cloth. Make sure that you don’t rub it too hard else the acne might get worse.
- Repeat – You need to repeat toothpaste application at least 4-5 times a week to see best results.
What to avoid:
When you are applying toothpaste on your skin, you need to avoid the following things:
- Don’t use any whitening toothpaste – Whitening toothpaste contains chemicals and thus it is best to avoid such toothpastes. You can go with a “no whitening” simple formula one because any kind of extra chemicals can worsen the acne condition.
- Don’t use gels – Gel toothpastes have different formulations when compared to whitening toothpastes. It is best to avoid such toothpastes. They might not have drying properties and thus won’t cure your acne.
- It is advisable to use toothpaste with lower fluoride content as high fluoride content can cause skin allergies.
WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP AND DIY VIDEOS AND READ IMBB COMPLETELY AD FREE. DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!