There’s no Indian household where rose water is not commonly found. Our grannies and their previous generations have highly recommended the use of rose water in homemade beauty treatements. Rose water is used in a variety of ways in skin care treatments. The best part about rose water is that it is suitable for all skin types – be it normal, oily, acne-prone, combination or dry. Rose water is hugely popular in homemade face packs because it has antiseptic, anti-bacterial properties and can treat some of the basic skin problems if used in the right way. Rose water is gentle on the skin and effective in soothing, balancing, toning and moisturizing your skin so that you feel rejuvenated and refreshed. Once you start realizing the amazing benefits using rose water and the right way to use it, you would definitely make it a permanent ingredient in your skin care routine. But first, let’s find out all the benefits of rose water:
Benefits of Using Rose Water on Face:
- Works as a natural toner and astringent.
- Tightens facial pores.
- Helps to prevent pimples and acne.
- Reduces inflammation on the skin.
- Brightens skin tone.
- Works as a soft makeup remover too.
- Helps to heal skin.
- Adds a healthy glow to the skin.
- Makes skin radiant.
- Has anti-ageing benefits.
- Maintains the pH balance of skin.
- Soothes skin.
- Hydrates skin.
- Reduces excessive oil.
- Will work for all skin types.
- Antiseptic properties.
- Anti-bacterial properties.
- Good for sensitive skin as well.
- Soothes eczema.
- Helps balance oily skin.
- Helps in regenerating skin cells.
- Antioxidant properties.
15 Ways To Use Rose Water for Beautiful Skin:
1. Use Rose Water instead of plain water while you prepare your face packs: This would help to enhance the effectiveness of your homemade face packs and you would get added benefits. Rose water has natural cleansing as well as moisturizing properties. Here’s how you can make your own Homemade Face Pack for Instantly Bright and Glowing Skin.
2. Use it directly on your skin as a Cleanser: Since rose water has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, it helps to take out dirt, grime, and oil from clogged pores and reduce the occurrence of pimples and acne. Take rose water on a cotton ball and gently swipe it across your face to clean up the pores. Additionally, here’s how you can make a deep cleansing scrub with rose water and other effective ingredients.
3. Dab it on your Face and use it as a Toner: Include natural rose water in your daily CTM (cleanisng-toning-moisturizing) routine. You would notice significant shrinking of facial pores. Like mentioned earlier, use a cotton ball or pad, to gently dab rose water across the face after the cleansing process to tone and hydrate your skin.
4. Use Rose Water as Setting Spray: Transfer rose water into a spray bottle and spray it before and after makeup application to set your makeup.
5. Rose Water as Makeup Remover: Rose water acts as a natural cleanser and removes excess oil and dirt from the pores. You can use either rose water directly on a cotton pad to wipe makeup or mix it with sweet almond oil, aloe vera gel, to remove even waterproof makeup.
6. Rose Water to Reduce Puffiness of Eyes: Woke up with puffy eyes? Dip cotton pads in rose water (chilled by keeping in the fridge for one hour), and place it over your eyes for 20 minutes. You will see that the puffiness has down considerably. Doing this regularly will also help lighten dark circles.
7. As a Moisturizer: Rose water not only tones and tightens up skin, it can also act as a moisturizer to hydrate skin. Just spray on rose water whenever you feel that your skin is getting dry or itchy.
8. As a Body Lotion: You can make your own body lotion by mixing 2 tsp of rose water and 1 tsp of glycerin, and squeeze in a bit of lemon juice. Use this mixture right after the shower for soft and smooth skin.
9. After-Sun Treatment: During summers, it’s quite common to experience sun burns if you venture out without wearing proper sunscreen. If you feel your skin has become warm and inflamed after sun exposure, dip cotton pads in rose water and aloe vera gel and place the pads in the freezer for 20 minutes. Take the pads out and apply to the affected area and you will see inflammation come down quickly.
10. To Dilute Readymade Clay Masks: Store-bought clay masks can harden up pretty quickly and instead of adding just plain water to loose it up, add a few drops of rose water for added benefits.
11. Skin Revitalizer: Feel that your skin is feeling congested of late? Here’s how you can revitalize and brighten up your skin tone with this homemade massage gel with rose water.
12. Rose Water Ice Cubes to Prevent Acne and Pimples: Give your skin a treat and at the same time, prevent acne and pimples from showing up on your face with this completely natural and homemade ice cube therapy with added benefits of cucumber and mint leaves. Here’s a step-by-step method on how to make Rose Water Ice Cubes.
13. Soften and Lighten Underarm Skin: Mix two tablespoons of orange peel powder with 1 tsp of rose water and apply it on underarms. Do this regularly to soften and lighten underarms.
14. Can be used as an Aftershave to Soothe Razor Burns: Since rose water has antiseptic and soothing properties, it can work amazingly as an after-shave to soothe razor burns. You can either use rose water on its on or mix it with aloe vera to soothe down burns after shaving.
15. To Add Brightness to the Skin in Summers: Spray some rose water on the face to instantly freshen up your skin, to brighten, and add a natural glow to the skin.
Rose Water Skin Care Masks – Seven Easy Ideas
1. Rosewater-Glycerin cleanser: Add two spoons of glycerin and a few drops of rose essential oil to a cup of rose water. Use it as a cleanser for your face. It is very gentle on your skin and helps to lessen chances of getting fine lines.
2. Rosewater-Lemon juice skin tonic– Mix rose water and lemon juice in equal quantities. Wash your face, preferably with warm water since that would help to open up the pores. Apply the mixture on the affected area and wait for fifteen minutes. It is useful to reduce pimples and acnes. It is however recommended that you get a patch test done before application as you might suffer from irritations if it does not suit you.
3. Rosewater-Sandalwood pack- Add one spoon of sandalwood powder with one spoon of rosewater. Apply the paste on your face to get rid of acnes. This must be done once in a week.
4. Fenugreek Rosewater pack- Soak a few fenugreek seeds in water overnight and make a fine paste by crushing them in a blender. Add rose water. Apply it on your face. Keep it on for about twenty minutes and rinse in cold water. This pack is helpful in treating acnes.
5. Rosewater-Fuller’s Earth faces pack (for oily skin): If you have a tough time controlling excessive oil secretion, try this pack. Take some fuller’s earth (multani mitti) and add some rosewater to make a fine paste. Add a few drops of lemon juice. It cleanses pores effectively and prevents excessive oil secretion.
6. Rosewater-Almonds face pack (for dry skin): Make a paste of almonds and combine it with rose water. You may also add some honey. This face pack is excellent for dry skin.
7. Rosewater-Honey face pack (for sensitive skin): Mix rosewater, milk and honey. Add some oatmeal and make a paste. Apply it on your face and let it dry. Rinse with cold water.
How to Make Rose Water At Home?
Instead of relying on the ready-made rosewater available in fancy bottles in your favorite cosmetic stores, you can prepare rosewater at home for your beauty needs. For this, you would need:
- Fresh rose petals (free from pesticides) and a pot of water.
- Trim the petals and add adequate water.
- Let it boil for about 20 minutes.
- The liquid should be strained well.
- The rosewater should now be allowed to cool and then stored in the refrigerator. You can use this natural rose water for 3 to 4 days and make a fresh batch the next time around.