Even though bold and vivid lipstick colors like red and pink are a rage, neutral lipsticks have their own charm and look chic. Celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner have rocked neutral lipsticks for years now. Neutral lipsticks are great to pair with smokey eye makeup and more appropriate for office wear. The beauty of a n*de shade is that it can be paired with any look and colour, be it a party dress in red or a casual day outfit like jeans. Neutral lipsticks are a great way to look effortlessly gorgeous and stylish. From beige to mocha, mauve to sheer shades of pink and brown, they can rock any skin complexion and skin tone. But some women feel neutral and n*de lipsticks tends to wash out their skin tones, and that’s when these tips would come in handy:
Tips To Wear Neutral Lipsticks:
1. If you look washed out wearing a neutral lipstick, you are probably wearing a shade that’s too pale for your complexion. For a natural look, don’t go more than one shade lighter than your skin colour. As a general guide, pale skin tones should stick to soft pink and peach shades, dark skin tones are better suited to chocolate tones, and those with yellow undertones should opt for beige’s like caramel and latte.
2. It is very important to make sure that your lips are in the perfect condition before you put on a n*de lip colour. Exfoliate your lips with a lip scrub to prevent your lipstick from peeling and looking hideous. Remember to apply balm afterwards to keep lips moisturised.
3. If you have pigmented lips, try toning down your natural lip colour with concealer. Creating a bare canvas will help you get the true shade of n*de you want to wear. However, just make sure that you are creating a thin layer and not putting on too much product on your lips otherwise the final result will end up looking cakey.
4. Consider wearing a semi-matte lipstick or dab some gloss after applying n*de lipstick to create volume and prevent creasing. Avoid frosty and full on matte finishes in a nude lip shade.
5. Neutral lip complements a big, bold eye look very well. It helps to draw attention towards the rest of makeup. Direct even more attention on your eyes by creating emphasis on the brows.
6. Do not apply a dark lip liner if you want to create a soft romantic look.
7. Extremely light and pasty shades would look stark against dusky and Indian skin tones in general, they are for runaways and magazine shoots.
8. Caramel-based neutral lipsticks would look great on warm and golden skin tones.
9. Wear subtle makeup along with neutral lips, that means toning down the blush, wearing non-dramatic eyelashes, keeping the brows less prominent.
10. Don’t pick super drying matte formula because they can make you look mature. Wearing extremely frosty lipsticks can turn the lips grey.
Just remember, getting the right n*de shade for yourself is the key to sport this look without looking washed out.