Exfoliating your lips is important before you apply a matte lipstick, but most importantly, to get rid of dry flaky skin on the lips. In this post, we have listed out some easy ways on how to exfoliate your lips so that you can rock that pout every time you take a selfie. Actually, exfoliation of lips should be a part of your regular beauty regimen since this practice makes lips smooth and soft. When lips are exfoliated properly, all the unwanted dead cells are removed effectively and this in turn, helps your lips to retain moisture content.
How To Exfoliate Your Lips Properly?
Are you wondering how you should go about exfoliating your lips? Well, this can very simple since you can either invest in some good readymade lip exfoliants available in the market or make easy homemade recipes with which you can exfoliate your lips at home, but since you do not have too many options as far as readymade lip exfoliants are concerned, it is better that you go for simple DIY recipes of lip scrubs as they are pocket-friendly and do not involve too much of effort.
Best Lip Scrubs in the Market:
1. Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy Sugar Scrub.
2. Too Faced Peach Lip Scrub
3. NYX This is Everything Lip Scrub
4. Physicians Formula Organic Rose Oil Lip Polish
5. LA Girl Sweet Lip Scrub
6. Milani Keep It Sweet Sugar Scrub
7. Forest Essentials Cane Sugar Lip Scrub
8. Kiko Milano Lip Scrub
9. The Nature’s Co Lychee Lip Scrub
10. Tony Moly Kiss Kiss Lip Scrub
11. Essence My Beauty Lip Ritual Peel It
12. Jeffree Star Velour Lip Scrub Strawberry Gum
13. The Body Shop Lip Exfoliator
14. Innisfree Smooth Lip Scrub
15. MAC Lip Scrubtious Sweet Brown Sugar
How to Exfoliate Lips with Easy Homemade Recipes?
1. Honey-sugar lip scrub: Sugar being one of the best natural exfoliants and honey with all its moisturizing ability, can be mixed together to make a wonderful lip scrub. Mix a spoon of honey with two spoons of sugar. Apply it on your lip and stay for sometime. Wipe off with the help of a piece of wet cloth by very gentle circular motions.
2. Olive oil-sugar lip scrub: Combine sugar and olive oil in equal amounts and apply the concoction on your lips. Wait for a couple of minutes and then, wipe it off with wet cloth.
3. Baking soda-water lip exfoliant: Make a thick paste by combining baking soda with water. Apply it on your lips and leave it on for sometime. Wipe off the paste after sometime. Follow up with a nourishing lip balm.
4. Olive oil-coffee scrub: Mix a spoon of olive oil with one spoon of coffee. The components should be mixed well and then massaged slowly on the lips. Leave it on for about three or four minutes and rinse off. Apply a lip balm or a lip moisturizer.
5. Homemade Sugar Lip Scrub with Almond Oil For Soft Lips: Take organic honey in a mixing bowl and put it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. It’s always best to use organic products to get the most out of your DIY’s. Add sugar (white or brown) to the honey. Here, I have used 3/4th part granulated sugar and 1/4th part whole sugar grains for a better scrubbing experience. You can always tone down the exfoliating level of the scrub by changing the sugar consistency. Give it a nice stir with the spatula. Take a vitamin E capsule and puncture it with a sterilized safety pin and add it to the honey-sugar mixture. Lastly, mix 10 drops of pure sweet almond oil. I got this pure almond oil at a local medical shop. I carefully added it to the sugar scrub mixture and stirred it continuously. Next, begin filling your empty containers with the scrub mixture. And voila you’re done! There you have it! A lip scrub that’s easy to make at home.
6. Rose and Coconut Lip Scrub for Soft and Pink Lips: Take one cup of sugar and add 10-12 spoons of coconut oil to it. Transfer the mixture into a blender. Now, add half cup of coconut oil. Now add 10-12 petals of rose into the mixture. Blend all the ingredients well to get a smooth scrub. If needed, you can add few drops of your favourite essential oil. Use this scrub every day to get soft and plump lips.
7. Coconut and Coffee Lip Scrub Cubes: Mix a little sugar and coffee together in a bowl. Add some coconut oil into the mixture and blend well. The scrub is now ready. Put this mixture into a clean ice tray. Make sure you nicely fill up the cube hole. Now keep the tray in your freezer till the cubes freeze up completely. Remove the tray from refrigerator and slowly remove the coconut oil cubes from tray. Gently massage with a cube on your lips. Scrub for 10 minutes and wash your lips with water, or you may use your face wash too. You can store the cubes for future use.
How To Exfoliate Lips with a Toothbrush?
Are you absolutely unwilling to spend time and energy preparing homemade lip balms? In that case, the toothbrush and petroleum jelly can be your savior! Indeed, you heard it right! Take the tub of petroleum jelly you have at your home and apply a thick layer of the same on your lips. If you do not have petroleum jelly, any thick creamy moisturizer will do! Now, take a toothbrush (preferably a baby toothbrush) and start to brush your lips gently. This is one of the easiest ways of exfoliating your lips. Any excess petroleum jelly can be done away with by using damp cloth.
How To Exfoliate Lips: Tips and Warnings
1. Be gentle while exfoliating your lips. If you scrub too hard, your lips would get sore.
2. After exfoliating your lips, try not to skip the moisturizing part. Applying a rich lip balm after exfoliation would help you get the beautiful lips you dream of!
3. Do not exfoliate your lips vigorously. This might worsen dry lip condition.
4. It is always better to exfoliate your lips once a week, or at the most, twice every week, but not more.
5. Homemade lip scrubs work wonderfully well. They have no preservatives and hence, these scrubs are all natural and the shelf life is also very short.
6. Application of lip exfoliant with the help of a cotton swab is a good idea if you do not want to transfer the germs on your fingers into the tub or the scrub container.