Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Lipstick
Hi friends, today I’m going to review my one and only Yves Saint Laurent lipstick! I’ve had a love-hate relationship with this lipstick, but it was mostly love. First, I was hunting for a good nude shade that didn’t wash me out. Second, the moment I set my eyes on ysl counter I couldn’t help but marvel at the packaging of these lippies; It was love at first sight! And the rest is history!
Quickly jumping to the review:
Please note that the lipstick case may have it share of scratches. It has travelled with me a LOT and rubbed against a lot of other cosmetics in my vanity pouch. It still looks beautiful and scratches aren’t that visible, but the harsh flash has exaggerated it a wee bit more 😛
This is what the company says:
An object of desire, this award-winning lipstick is wrapped in a romantic, elegant gold case that exudes luxury. Each signature shade saturates lips in captivating color that’s intensely pigmented, and imparts an irresistible glossy shine. The long-lasting, comforting formula is highlighted with a unique Color-shine Complex that leaves lips visibly smoother, plumper and more radiant. Light, silky texture smoothes on a veil of satiny, sensual color that’s altogether alluring. Companion mirror on top of case ensures easy application any time. SPF 15.
It comes with a price tag of rs.1750 for 4gms
My Experience With Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Lipstick
The packaging, oh my god! I drool over it and give it some one minute of staring each time before applying! It’s so beautiful, romantic, luxurious and elaborate; it’s brilliant gold and then the intricate looking ysl overlay below which you can see the true shade of the lipcolour it holds inside! It has a very tiny mirror on top, but it can be usefull for hurried touch ups, and trust me doing touch ups with this lippie is quite a matter of pride! Also, the lid snaps shut very satisfactorily.
The formula, texture,colour, pigmentation, staying power etc:
What I loved About Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Lipstick
- It’s incredibly smooth, soft and silky; it’s literally sensual! It glides silk, seriously!! It’s pure luxury to apply this lippie..
- The formula, texture: it really buttery smooth and looks moisture rich on application. It just glides on lips!
- I would have been happy to show the entire length of the lipstick shaft, but that all thats left of it 😛 its about to get over 🙁
- Colour pigmentation: it’s extremely pigmented, and one swipe get the true colour out. The colour is very difficult to explain and whats more difficult; is to photograph it! It changes colour all the time! The colour is a very beigy pinkish and slightly peachish nude. The hint of peach is very little, all this small hints of pinky peachiness helps in not washing me out Although its mostly a nude shade it photographs bright pink and sometime brownish pink under white tubelights .. peach in yellow lights and beigy nude in sunlight!!
It was really difficult getting the right colour. I’m sorry, I won’t be putting swatch on the hand because it was photographing terribly wrong. So I decided against putting it up, but the lipstick picture and lip swatch will give you a fair idea hopefully.
This is what it looks like under white light- tube light.
What I Hated About Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Lipstick
Staying power: It has a very low staying power, and here comes the reason why I have a hate relationship with this lippie. It starts to fade within half an hour and it fades very weirdly! It starts losing its pinky peachy accents, leaving only a beige layer on lips. Due to which I end up looking extremely washed out. poor me after a lot of experiences and photographs later, I realised what this lippie was doing. And after about an hour even that beige wash is gone leaving bare lips in the open 😛
Also it leaves my lips extremely dry by the end of an hour. I know I know, I said that the lippie starts with intense moisture and buttery feel, but it leaves my lips parched! I unconsciously start peeling off the dry layer. 😛
Summing it up.
What I Love About This Lipstick
- beautiful intricate packaging that literally leaves others envious!
- the small band in the middle of the case that show the true colour inside. So it easy to locate incase u have many ysl’s 😛
- easy for touchup, due to the small mirror on top
- glides like silk!
- such a formula gives an illusion of fuller poutier lips
- amazing pigmentation
- although it’s very creamy, this lipstick doesn’t melt or break in the case at all like nyx or lakme lippies respectively.
- mildly scented. It’s not heady like some other perfumed lippies..! i just hate them!
- has spf 15
- is a ysl 😉
What I Don’t Love About This Lipstick
- it fades quickly and weirdly. First the pinky, peachy tones dispappear leaving just the beige behind which makes me look ghastly and washed out. Then even that beige starts to disappear leaving completely bare lips.
- within an hour and a half its gone and if you eat then god help you; it disappears without a trace.
- smudges and smears a bit if you are not careful in applying.
- it’s very drying in the next hour
- it’s a very subjective colour, it may either wash you out ; or it may serve as a my lips but better shade for fair, medium and dark skintones alike.. depending on your undertones. For me its a my lip but better.
- the pricetag 😛
It does have its share of cons. But I had a great experience with this lippie as it was a very wearable mlbb shade for me. And it’s my 1st 😛 (yeah literally 1st ) lippie in my life thats about to get over! I’ve applied it that much! And I will never ever throw away the case. 😛
Would I buy this again?
OH YEAH! but in some other colour.
Would I recommend it to others: umm i think yeah! try it once… if you don’t mind spending this one time on a beautiful ysl 😉
My rating: three stars out of five