How to use an Epilator : Experience and Tips
Some of you asked me how I use an epilator. These are the steps I follow and some tips that I keep in mind. Hope it helps.
- I exfoliate my skin the day before or the same day I have to epilate. Very important. I epilate on completely dry skin. Never in shower or right after the bath when my skin is still damp. If you like to take a warm shower, go ahead with it. It opens the pores and softens the hair a bit. Sometimes I use a body scrub and sometimes a regular loofah. Either work in my case now. But when I started epilation initially, I was not that regular with my exfoliation and I had a lot of ingrown hair. I used to end up with a stubble after epilation. During that phase, I used only coarse body scrub every other day. That helped me a lot in getting neater shave every time.
- If you are just starting with epilation, I suggest that you epilate either at night or a day before you want to flaunt your legs or arms. 😀 Initially you might get a lot of redness and it could be painful. Since my body is quite used to the process now, I epilate whenever I want – day, night, right before going out, watching TV.. 😛 whatever. The key thing is to hold the epilator right at 90 degrees. Epilate opposite to the direction of the hair and keep the epilator close to the skin. If required, go over the hair a couple of time. Also, stretch your skin with other hand especially when you are doing your thighs, knees and calves. Fold your arm upwards, you do the elbows. It gets a little difficult to do the back of arms and legs, use your other hand to feel the hair. This way you’d know where the hair are still left. For back of the arms, I suggest that you check yourself in the mirror. For legs, sit on a chair and keep your leg rested straight on another chair infront of you.
- If your skin gets very red or sensitive or if it is getting very painful for you, use an ice pack after epilation. That would numb the pain to a great extent. The ice pack needs to be frozen two hours before you use it. I don’t feel the need to use it anymore but initially an ice pack is very helpful. if your epilator does not come with an icepack, just throw some ice in a towel and use that. Make sure you dry your skin before epilating again.
- Once you are happy with your results, follow up with a moisturizer. Ta Da! happy legs.
Some tips from experience:
- Always epilate when your hair is short . It would be less painful and you’d have great results. If you have a full hair growth and you are planning to start epilation, I suggest that you either shave first and epilate when you get a few hair. or you shave. If you are hell bent on epilating only then move your epilator very fast on your skin . It would pain a lot but this fast epilation would reduce the
torturepain period.You can always go back and epilate whatever is left behind.
- If you are finding epilation very painful, keep switching between both arms and legs. Let’s say you are epilating your left leg and you are finding it very painful, switch to another leg and then come back to the left leg again.
- While doing underarms, I shave my under arms first and then epilate. This makes the process less painful and I get rid of the stubble.
- If your body gets sweaty during epilation, just throw some talcum powder and then epilate.
- Reiterating – never under estimate the power of exfoliation.
- If you end up with stubble initially, d’ont worry. Exfoliate regularly and epilate again. You’d get cleaner and closer shave as you get regular with the process.
- Avoid using an epilator during your periods. It pains more, imo.
- And don’t worry about the pain initially. I promise, you’d get use to it. To me, it’s less painful than waxing now.
Hope these tips help. Let me know if you have any more questions. I’d try to reply in comments. I use braun Silk Epil 5. You may read its review HERE
How To Use an Epilator
Braun 7280 Silk-Epil Xpressive Epilator Corded
Braun Silk Epil 3 Epilator
Waxing vs Epilators – What do you Prefer for Hair Removal?
10 Tips for Using An Epilator
Philips Satinelle Epilator Hp6400