Time for another article! This time I decided to write about the most frequently asked question – “What is better, Epilators or Waxing?” I am a very unplanned and indecisive teenager; all my plans are made at the last moment and things just spur up at the very last minute. This of course has its moments when I cannot wear my favourite outfit because it is sleeveless and I have not waxed my skin! If I’m still very much tempted to wear it then yup, I turn to shave (which is very bad because when I was in school I used razors all the time and then I had black underarms for a while – EEW!). I’m also not a great planner to look which events are coming up, decide what I’m going to wear, and head to the salon to get waxing done. Never! Who has time for all this?
READ THESE FOR WEIGHT LOSS: Diet Chart for Weight Loss | How to Lose Weight With PCOS | 10 Best Herbal Pills for Weight Loss | 10 Best Tricks for Lazy People to Lose Weight | Best Diet for PCOS to Lose Weight
So in college – I learnt how to do waxing from friends and got my own cold wax and waxing strips to do waxing at home. It did work for a while. Then I got irritated because the whole process was so messy. Thank God for Veet Wax Strips now. I guess now doing waxing at home must be quite easy, although I haven’t used them yet, but hmm must try them.
Anyways, after I became tired of waxing at home, I finally got a Philips epilator. It hurt a bit in the initial uses but now I’m a pro when it comes to using epilators. I have got two epilators which I can review for you gals if you want (just leave a comment if you want me to review them). But then I wax once in a while. During one of my trips to the salon, a female said that an epilator is not good. This epilator vs. waxing topic has been discussed so many times among my cousins as well as friends. Some say epilators are good and some say waxing is good. Some even say shaving is very good! God knows which one to choose? (girls have so many decisions to make hahahahahaha :))
READ THESE FOR GLOWING SKIN: 9 Best Face Packs For Glowing Skin | 10 Tips by Shahnaz Husain for Glowing Skin | Home Remedies For Glowing Skin | 7 Besan Face Packs for Glowing Skin | Beauty Products For Glowing Skin
So let’s review what’s good and what’s not:
Let’s start with waxing first. Waxing is the most popular hair removal technique till date. Waxing or hair removal is not something new. A silky, smooth and hairless body was a standard of beauty, youth and innocence for women in Egypt. The wife of divine Pharaoh set an example and then the trend was followed by every woman in Egypt. They used a sticky emulsion made up of honey and oil.
BEST OF IMBB: How To Make Vitamin C Serum At Home | 7 Best Pigmentation Creams in India | 8 Natural Products to Add Volume to Thin, Fine Hair | 8 Ways to Tighten Sagging Breasts | How to Remove Pimple Marks from Face | Top 10 Shampoos for Dry and Rough Hair | 8 Best Drugstore Foundations That Do Not Oxidize
Later on Greeks followed the trend. The best proof are Greek sculptures of women – so shiny and smooth. Romans also followed suit and girls began hair removal with the help of “tweezers”(it must have taken them forever to get their hair removed though) and also depilatory cream.
Waxing is an effective method of removing large amount of hair at one time. I am not describing the process because I expect everyone to know about it .
Best of IMBB: Best Hair Serums for Dry Frizzy Hair | Homemade Hair Regrowth Oil to Prevent Hair Loss | How To Lose Fat From Face in 30 Days | Homemade Face Pack for Instantly Bright and Glowing Skin | 10 Products To Get Rid of Skin Pigmentation | 7 Ways To Make Black Lips Pink!
Advantages of waxing:
- It’s a very effective method of hair removal (covers large areas in short time).
- Waxing can make hairless skin last up to 8 weeks.
Disadvantages of waxing:
- Although waxing is by far the best method of hair removal, it can irritate the skin, causing redness and bumps for those with sensitive skin.
- The process of waxing can be messy and sticky.
TIPS FOR WAXING:
- Never wax just after sun-bathing or tanning because tanning always harms epidermis. So when you put hot wax on it, pulling and ripping it off can peel layers of skin. This causes visible bruises.
- After waxing wait for a few hours before going for a hot tub bath, swimming in public pools etc. Otherwise you might put yourself at risk of getting skin infections. Slight damage to skin caused by waxing + improperly maintained water = breeding ground for bacteria.
- Do not wax if you have acne problem, skin allergies or sensitive skin.
After trying waxing at home, I got bored of the whole process. I am just too lazy to do all this sticky messy work at home, so I got myself a Philips epilator. I have two epilators now and have been using them for ages now. It was a bit painful at first but now I have got used to it. 🙂
BEST OF FAIRNESS: 10 Best Skin Whitening Creams in India | 7 Homemade Face Packs for Instant Glow and Fairness | 6 Best Herbal Fairness Creams | 10 Best Fairness Packs in the Market | 7 Best Pigmentation Creams in India
The term “epilation” refers to using an electric device, tweezers or waxing to remove the entire hair shaft at the root. Using an electric device called an epilator produces faster hair removal than tweezing and can be safer and cleaner than using hot wax and waxing strips.
Hair removal occurs when hairs are trapped in either a rotating head of small tweezers or a coiled spring or wire. More costly epilators are available with varying rotation speeds and strengths. An electric razor attachment may be included for sensitive areas that are not ideal for tweezing.
SOLUTIONS FOR ACNE: 5 Remedies to Treat Acne at Home | Top 10 Creams for Fading Acne Scars | 10 Home Remedies to Treat Scalp Acne | 8 Home Remedies to Reduce Acne Scars | 10 Tea Tree Oil Products for Acne-Prone and Sensitive Skin | Home Remedies to Treat Hormonal Acne
Advantages of epilators:
- It is very easy to operate these epilators. They are non-messy which works for me!!
- Epilators are real life saviors; when things spruce up at the very last moment, you can have smooth silky arms and legs in a matter of max 30 minutes. 🙂
- Over time, hair becomes less coarse when it grows back.
Disadvantages of epilators:
- Using an epilator can be painful the first few times.
- Some people may experience problems with missed or ingrown hair as well.
TIPS FOR USING EPILATORS:
- You should have a bath or shower first and then ensure your skin is completely dry before you begin epilating.
- Run the epilator in an upward motion, against the direction of hair growth. If needed, you can also change the epilation direction to ensure an even smoother finish.
- Epilation novices may find that their skin is slightly reddened after epilating. This is why it is best not to epilate the day you want to spend a big night out, but the evening before. To soothe your skin and create a really sleek, smooth look and feel, apply a body cream or lotion after epilating.
- Regular use of a massage sponge (e.g. after your shower) or a body peeling pack will help prevent in-growing of small hairs.
So what do you prefer? Waxing or epilators?
HAIR: 8 Natural Products to Add Volume to Thin, Fine Hair | 8 Ways to Regrow Hair on Bald Spots | 6 Hair Growth Secrets from Around the World | 7 Best Hair Oils For Faster Hair Growth | How to Make Rough Hair Silky | 30 Killer Hair Care Tips
Bikini Wax vs. Brazilian Wax
All About Chocolate Wax
How To Care For Skin After Waxing
10 Tricks You Must Know for Painless Waxing
All About Italian Rica Waxing
Things You Must Know Before Going For Brazilian Wax
How to Remove Scars After Waxing