I am Nivanya, a “run of the mill” 20 year old. Adore debating on any topic and Ian Somerhalder while I despise having to speak in Hindi and studying 😛 About 6 months back, I got bitten by the blog bug. IMBB was the first Indian makeup blog that I followed, and I was hooked from the word go! Here’s my first article and I hope that I can write many more. So, enough dilly-dallying and let’s get down to business!
My brother is doing his PhD from an American university and when he told me that he’s coming back to India after 3 years, there was no way in hell that I was going to miss out on ordering from my current obsession, ELF Cosmetics. I diligently researched the different cult favorites from the brand. The first product that immediately struck my fancy was the ELF Studio HD Blush. It has been compared with MUFE liquid blushes and is amazingly priced.
The shade I purchased was Encore. It is a sort of warm toned fuchsia pink, a very unique color.
$3 (but I got it through a coupon for $1.50. Yay!)
Naturally sculpts and highlights for a soft-focus effect that is great for everyday use. The Vitamin E enriched formula conditions and hydrates the skin for a healthy glow. Velvety soft, lightweight and highly pigmented color creates a long-lasting result for all day wear.
Isododecane, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cetearyl Methicone, Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Nylon-12, Barium Sulfate, Mica, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate (Ve), Propylparaben. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red No.27 Lake (CI 45410), Red No.7 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77007), Manganese Violet (CI 77742).
0.34 fl.oz (10 ml).
The blush comes in a plastic bottle with a pump dispenser. It sits pretty and is extremely functional. At $3 one can’t really expect a lot of jazz and drama 😛
My Take on ELF HD Blush – Encore:
Frankly, the color is even more gorgeous in person than it is in the photos I have taken. I am a ghastly photographer, sorry! :’(
It is a beautiful color for dusky skin tones like mine, but it can be sheered out further to suit porcelain beauties. Its consistency lives up to the claims of being “velvety.” It has a primer like quality that just glides on your skin like a dream. Due to my combination skin, a lot of products make me breakout like crazy, but I have been using this blush for nearly a fortnight and I can thankfully say that I have not gotten a single zit due to it.
The product is insanely pigmented, maybe a tad too much. (Don’t kill me Makeup Gods! I know that I should count my blessing, but still!) 😛
My tip to not look like a clown would be to take a small pinhead sized drop on the back of your hand and use a flat top kabuki (the only face brush I own) to blend it on your cheekbones (if you use this on the apples of your cheeks, it will look garish, you have my word) till you get the opaqueness you desire.
It lasts throughout the day, for about 6-7 hours. I haven’t tested it for longer but since there isn’t more than a marginal amount of fading by the end of the day (I sometimes rub my cheeks in frustration) it should certainly last much longer.
Blended and unblended swatches of E.L.F. Studio HD Blush in Encore.
Pros of ELF HD Blush – Encore:
- It’s price! It retails at $3 and is comparable to MUFE liquid blushes.
- It’s shade collection, between the 5 shades available, most people can find their dramatic and casual blush color.
- It’s pump dispenser that works like a charm. Not only is it hygienic, it also leads to minimal product wastage.
- It’s immensely versatile. You can use it as a lip tint or lip color too.
- It’s like the Amaron battery ad – Lasts long! Very very long! :p
- Can suit all skin tones, depending on the intensity.
- Doesn’t feel heavy or gritty on the face. Also, doesn’t lead to breakouts.
- ELF Cosmetics are not tested on animals.
- A little product goes a long way!
Cons of ELF HD Blush – Encore:
- It is insanely pigmented and can be garish if not blended out properly.
- It stains like no one’s business! I literally had to rub my hand raw, to wash out the swatches.
- Application requires time and patience. Hence, this is not a blush for the busy bees.
- It sets quickly, as a lip tint, so even application requires patience and a quick hand.
- Contains parabens.
- Not available in India and even in the US of A, it is only available online and in one ELF Studio store in NYC.
- Contains microshimmer, may be a pro for some.
Would I Repurchase ELF HD Blush – Encore?
Another color? Defintely! Because this blush is going to outlive me. :p
Would I Recommend ELF HD Blush – Encore to friends?
Wholeheartedly! This blush is worth the price.
ELF Studio Eye Primer and Liner Sealer
ELF Studio Cream Eyeshadow – Bronzed
E.l.F Studio Flawless Finish Foundation
ELF Studio Glossy Gloss Merry Cherry
Make Up For Ever HD Blush # 6 Quickie
Make Up For Ever HD Foundation
Inglot AMC Liquid Face Blush 82
Coloressence High Definition Powder
Inglot AMC Liquid Face Blush #83
Revlon Powder Blush – Tawny Peach
MaxFactor Flawless Perfection Blush – Classic Rose
Inglot Freedom System Blush #41
Sleek Blush in Rose Gold
Bourjois Blush #41 Bonne Mine/ Healthy Mix
ELF Studio Blush in Fuchsia Fusion