I was listening to a discussion between the Tridevis (Rati, Jomol and Neha) today where my biwi removed an image from a review because it wasn’t looking up to the mark. I have heard several such discussions in the past about whether or not to put up so and so article because of some mistake in it. Today, I decided to publish a short guidebook on what to take care of in your review so that it gets approved faster.
Also, have you heard about FB joke- ‘My status messages are NOT about you.’ Likewise, this post is not about you or any other person. This post is meant solely to help our writers avoid confusion and get their reviews published faster on IMBB. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride (I don’t know why I keep saying this). 😛
1. Product Reviews
- First thing you should do when you are trying to write a product review is to use the IMBB search option (top right) and check whether or not the product has been reviewed earlier. We do not accept reviews of product reviewed earlier. If you have something to add about that product, say it in the comments of that earlier review.
- Please go through our JOBS page very carefully. Please read everything there is.
- Please follow our acceptable format (unless you are able to write like Neha who has her unique way of doing reviews) of: how did you come across the product, claim, price, ingredient, your skin/ hair type, your experience with the product (Most Important), pros and cons of the product, your product rating, and would you recommend the product or buy it again.
- Many writers try to cover the word limit by doing too much of claim, price or ingredients, and a few lines are devoted to their experience with the product or pros and cons. Many a time the pros and cons given are flimsy ones. We throw many of these reviews out of the window. Please devote time to write your experience, pros and cons in depth. That’s what our readers are looking for. Remember that you are writing a review to help someone decide about that product. She can read the price, claim and ingredient on e-commerce sites also. What she needs is YOUR experience.
- Please do not copy experience, pros and cons from other reviews on different beauty blogs/ websites. We check most of the reviews we receive for plagiarism. If we ever see a writer doing that we drop that writer completely no matter how much she apologizes or explains. If you are tampering with sanctity of reviews at IMBB, you are not welcome here.
- Next, please edit your review for grammatical mistakes before sending it to us. Pay attention to correct Product name, commas, difference between it’s and its, etc. Write short sentences. Write only the first letter of the titles in capital letters. Keep rest of the review (including ingredient list) in small letters. Edit, edit and edit. There are some reviewers whose reviews we put up immediately because we know that those reviews would not need editing.
The second most important thing in the reviews are images. Most of the rejected reviews have problem with images. Please go through these guidelines carefully:
READ THESE FOR WEIGHT LOSS: Diet Chart for Weight Loss | How to Lose Weight With PCOS | 10 Best Herbal Pills for Weight Loss | 10 Best Tricks for Lazy People to Lose Weight | Best Diet for PCOS to Lose Weight
- Please take clear images. That means taking pictures with a camera (and not a cellphone, which is a device for talking to people), taking pictures during daytime, and taking pictures with a white background if possible to show the swatches correctly.Please use the “macro” or “closeup” mode of your camera to take clear pictures of shades that you wish to show.Also, no flash please! We would like one clear day light picture of the true color instead of a flash and no flash picture comparison.
- No blurred pictures. Oh, the pictures are blurred only a little? Yes mam, but no blurred pictures. You can still see the swatches? Yes mam, but still no blurred pictures. No blurred pictures, no blurrrrrred pictures, no blur…
- Please resize the images before sending it to us. If you are using windows, save the image, right-click on it, open with Windows Picture Manager, and resize in it (find out how). Keep the width of product images between 600 and 700. If you are including lip swatches or eye swatches, keep the width of the images between 300 and 400.
- Important instruction from the female IMBB Team- if you are doing lip swatches/ face swatches, please get your facial hair removed. If you are doing eye swatches, get your eyebrows done. If your nails are showing in swatches, wear nice nail paints. If you have scars or spots, please conceal them with concealer or foundation.
- Please do not steal images for products or swatches from other reviews on the internet. We would drop you like a hot potato. The whole product review should be your own.
- Try to click color of the swatches as close as possible to the actual product. The color of the swatches are very important. (I would like Rati, Nupur and Neha to add something here).
- If your review has many images, try to make a collage of it at picmonkey.com in order to reduce the number of images that we have to upload. Please also number the images in the order in which they have to be upload. Perhaps you can mention the image name (where it is to be inserted) in the review itself.
- Send the images separately as attachment in the email or as a zipped file instead of placing them in the word file.
Last but not the least, please remind us of an article that you sent but was not published ONLY after two days. Sending reminders again and again clogs our inbox and we lose the posts of other writers. Please be considerate.
2. Outfit Posts (OOTDs)
We have realized how personal outfit posts are. Since everyone is very sensitive about how they look, sometimes they get offended when we reject an outfit post. Please understand that it is not personal and we are not pointing any finger at you or casting any doubt. Sometimes we just feel that more could have been done with the outfit, or that an outfit is not as colorful as we would like it to be. That is all. Our refusal is NOT a personal comment on you. Please do send us another outfit post by all means.
Here are some questions that you can ask about the outfit post:
READ THESE FOR GLOWING SKIN: 9 Best Face Packs For Glowing Skin | 10 Tips by Shahnaz Husain for Glowing Skin | Home Remedies For Glowing Skin | 7 Besan Face Packs for Glowing Skin | Beauty Products For Glowing Skin
- Is there something special in the outfit? Sometimes, even if you are wearing good jeans and teeshirt, it’s still a jeans teeshirt outfit. Maybe you can couple it up with a good bag/ shoes, scarf etc. Make the outfit special.
- Have I put thought into my outfit or I just clicked a picture while I was with friends/ in a party? Be serious about your outfit posts.
- Is the background good? More than anybody else on IMBB, Rati and I know how difficult it is to go out and find a good background. Maybe you can find a corner in your house that you can use. Experiment.
- Do I look fresh and beautiful? Yes we know it’s all about the outfit but still people are going to see how your face, skin hair etc. is looking. Take a shower, do makeup, and then get dressed. 🙂
- Are the photos good and clear?
Once you start asking these questions, you are on the right track.
3. DO-it-yourself Posts
A do-it-yourself post should not be full only of instructions. You should do it yourself and take pictures and explain with the help of pictures. In short, if your post is about homemade mask, it should contain step-by-step pictures on how to make the mask. Readers should know that you have been there and done that.
Also, when you are sending in your reviews/articles/OOTD posts, please remember to write the review in a word document and attach the pics separately in a zip folder, it’s a bit convenient at our end 🙂
BEST OF IMBB: How To Make Vitamin C Serum At Home | 7 Best Pigmentation Creams in India | 8 Natural Products to Add Volume to Thin, Fine Hair | 8 Ways to Tighten Sagging Breasts | How to Remove Pimple Marks from Face | Top 10 Shampoos for Dry and Rough Hair | 8 Best Drugstore Foundations That Do Not Oxidize
That’s it I believe. Happy Scribblings! 🙂
Best of IMBB: Best Hair Serums for Dry Frizzy Hair | Homemade Hair Regrowth Oil to Prevent Hair Loss | How To Lose Fat From Face in 30 Days | Homemade Face Pack for Instantly Bright and Glowing Skin | 10 Products To Get Rid of Skin Pigmentation | 7 Ways To Make Black Lips Pink!