WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Maybelline Whitestay UV Base
I bought Maybelline Whitestay UV Base because… By now, I am quite good at making up excuses and coming up with a great answer to that question evry time! But I really needed a makeup primer to make my makeup fresh and shine-free all day long. Why? Because my Di is getting married this August and I’d do my own makeup and I’d have to manage that in this hot and humid weather of Kolkata!! (By the way, my sister’s make-up artist is none other than Aniruddha Chakladar! No need to add that I am absolutely ELATED! He is the best make-up artist of Kolkata and one of the best in India)
So I went to the store to look for ‘Maybelline Angel Fit Pore Zero Makeup base’ but as I feared it has not been launched in India as of yet. So after a lot of thinking I went ahead with the next best (and available) option- Maybelline Whitestay UV Base.
There was a moment when I was confused whether it would work as a primer at all (I am still a bit confused – What is the difference between a makeup base and a primer?) but a quick look at the ingredient list confirmed that this product has silicone (Cyclopentasiloxane) – one of the primary ingredients of a primer to give a velvety finish. And hence, I bought this product!
What is Maybelline Whitestay UV Base?
- The first step to perfect your makeup finish
- Instantly enhances skin’s natural luminosity and provides natural radiance all day.
- Mexoryl SX + XL From wiki : It is an organic compound which is added to many sunscreens to filter out UVA rays. Although there are a few different UV absorbers with the trade name Mexoryl, only two of them are widely used where approved. Mexoryl SX (water soluble) and Mexoryl XL ( oil soluble). Together they show a synergistic effect in protection. Sunscreens containing ecamsule are exclusive to L’Oréal and its brands.
—-Wow! It does sound impressive!!—-
- Superior UV protection – SPF 35 PA +++
—–SPF (Sun Protection Factor) measures UVB protection. Most of us are well aware of this term. UVB rays can cause sunburn and can lead to development of skin cancer. PA is a newer term (atleast to me). It’s a protection grade of UVA. UVA rays penetrate into the skin to cause premature ageing and dark pigmentation. There are three grades PA+, PA++,PA+++. PA+++ is the highest grade and is the most powerful UVA filter. —–
- Dermatologist tested
- Allergy tested
- Non-comedogenic /won’t clog pores
- Fragrance free
- Shake well to activate
- Shades Available :
- White –normal skin
- Purple – neutralizes yellow skin undertones ( I bought this one)
- Green- neutralizes redness
- Pink – for pink skintone (not sure about this one)
Price: Rs 300/-
- I ‘shook’ the bottle to activate some of the ingredients and it reminded me of early 90’s nail polish with a bead in the bottle(I was a toddler back then 😛 but I do remember! No wonder I’m on IMBB). This is my new rattle 😀
- The texture is watery and very light.
- It blends well and is easily absorbed into the skin leaving a luminous glow
- Powder mattified the ‘luminous glow’ to some extent and foundation (Revlon Colorstay) totally covered up the luminous finish.
- When used on eyelids as an eye primer, I could achieve decent colour payoff with less amount of eyeshadow.
- No effect on pores (such a disappointment!)
- No neutralizing effect on my ‘yellowish’ skintone.
- No evening out of skin tone either.
- When I was going to remove my makeup in the night I noticed that the eye makeup was still intact (with slight fading only). I had used a light layer of colourful eyeshadow.
- SPF 35 PA+++ == protection from both UVB and UVA rays
- Light, non-greasy texture
- Luminous glow without white cast
- Works decently as an eyeshadow base. I have not tried it for cream shadows though.
What I don’t love about Maybelline Whitestay UV Base:
- One of reasons to invest in a primer was to reduce the size of my pores. This product didn’t help me at all. There was absolutely no difference in the size of my pores.
- No noticeable skintone correction
- The ‘luminous glow’ gets totally hidden under a medium to full coverage foundation
- It is non-greasy but throughout the day I had to blot my forehead and nose quite a few times.
Rating: :star::star::star: + 0.5 (mostly for sun protection) I don’t regret buying this. Infact it is pretty decent but it is not what I am looking for.
Would I repurchase? Maybe as a sunscreen (but I will be looking for cheaper/better sunscreen lotions which provide both UVB and UVA protection) My search for a ‘primer’ is still on.
Have you used Maybelline Whitestay UV Base ?