Have you ever wished that your nose was a little more sharp, your chin was a little less pointy, or that you had curvy full luscious cupid bow lips and you could do nothing about it except let out a sigh when you saw people who had those features, but not anymore, India is coming of age and cosmetic surgeries have now become the order of the day. Hordes of young men/women and not-so-young men/women are lining outside cosmetic and plastic surgeons offering cosmetic surgical repair to get chiseled features. From implanting hair on our heads to making our Roman aquiline nose more appealing, these highly qualified mechanics can repair it all. Getting tailor-made features is not just limited to celebrities, rather, it has become accessible to middle class and upper middle class junta. If you think that there is anything discordant in your appearance, don’t fret, nothing is out-of-reach, all you need is a few thousand rupees and voilà, you can get yourself transformed just like Cinderella.
India is fast becoming a destination for cosmetic surgical treatment. The singular reason for such a steep rise in cosmetic surgery in India is because it has become more affordable, economical, and alluring.
FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:
Well, I am not exaggerating it over here. I have been salvaged by plastic surgery and I am glad now that I took that precise decision of going under the knife to get my very prominent bee-stung bulbous nose rectified, which needless to say was a cause of embarrassment for me. This is a decision of mine, which I not only do not regret, but I am quite happy with the outcome. I really thank my lucky stars (and my doctor) to have got what I was promised especially after seeing what a nightmare one can become if anything goes wrong.
I underwent a rhinoplasty (nose job) around 7 years ago and did a lot of research before zeroing on the cosmetic surgeon. Also, I made sure that the cosmetic surgeon was also a microvascular surgeon. I had a consultation session with him and he explained me how he would go about it and how my nose would look after the surgery. Finally, after the consultation, I was confident enough to take the plunge. I should say everything about my nose job went well. My rhinoplasty just required 40 minutes of surgery in the operation theater under general anesthesia and there were no complications. Just one day of stay in the hospital was advised, which was uneventful. The only hitch was that my nose was bandaged for around a week during which time I had to steer clear of my dog, who took a liking to my Pinocchio nose and that creature did not even miss a single opportunity to get a grab at my poor bandaged nose. All the initial swelling and inflammation did scare me, but over a short period of time, the scars faded and the result was very obvious. The swelling lasted for around 15 to 30 days and for that entire period I was put on an all-liquid (mashed fruit) diet. For me the double bonus was that in the bargain not only did I get a sharper nose, but also, I lost oodles of weight in the process. Luckily, I had the cake and ate it too!!!!
MOST POPULAR COSMETIC SURGERIES:
1. Breast augmentation or mammoplasty. Breast augmentation is designed to increase the size of small or underdeveloped breasts. Augmentation of the breast consists of insertion of a silicone bag (prosthesis) under the breast and chest muscle and then filling the bag with saline (salt water). This prosthesis expands the breast area to give a fuller breast (increased cup size), give a better contour, and give more cleavage.
See Before and After photos of Bollywood actresses who underwent plastic surgery
3. Cheek implants. Cheek implants are an excellent way to both improve and enhance the contours of the face. Cheek implants can improve a person’s facial appearance and allows the face to become more proportional. Cheek implants give the face a fuller look, especially if the face is looking sunken in. Younger women who have flat cheekbones opt for cheek implants to give them high cheekbones.
4. Lip surgery. How many times have we all wondered how all Miss India wannabes have the same (plastic) smiles. This is because of the lip augmentation surgery that they undergo. Lip augmentation is a coffee-time procedure in which implants are placed to give you fuller, sensuous, and pouty lips.
COSMETIC RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY:
Cosmetic surgery in the form of reconstructive surgery can treat people with cleft palate in order to give them a normal appearance and help them in leading a normal life. Cleft lip and palate is a condition when there is a cleft or a gap in the palate or lip.
Cosmetic surgery can transform an ugly duckling into an elegant swan, but then it’s all a gamble, it can also happen the other way round if something goes wrong, an elegant swan can turn into an ugly eagle too!!!!
COSMETIC SURGERY SUCCESS STORIES
Katrina’s lips, Preity Zinta’s dimple (controversial), Priyanka Chopra’s perfect cupid bow lips and nose, Sridevi’s straight nose, and Shilpa Shetty’s overall transformation are all thanks to cosmetic surgery. I have listed below a few success stories.
1. Shilpa Shetty’s transformation from a gawky earthling to a gorgeous diva.
2. Katrina’s perfect lips and sculpted body.
3. Priyanka Chopra’s metamorphosis, is that her moustache in the second pic?
4. Shruti Hassan’s got rid of her Aquiline nose.
5. Sridevi……I love her…cosmetic surgery did wonders for her.
6. Juhi Chawla….I find her cute…surgery or no surgery.
7. Botox Malini. Have you ever noticed how restricted her facial movements are when she talks. She is only able to make slight highly animated movements of her lips, that’s because Botox has made her facial muscles taut and numb, ouch!!!!
8. Last, but not the least, Aishwarya Rai. It is rumored that she had cheek implants and got her jawline and teeth repaired. Some even say she had a nose surgery.
This is an excerpt from an interview Aishwarya Rai gave to Filmfare about her having undergone cosmetic surgery.
Question: Okay, finally tell me, have you ever undergone cosmetic surgery to enhance your looks?
Answer: Never. I know there have been rumours that I’ve had my teeth and jawline corrected. But they’re only rumours. Others have opted for these things, I haven’t. I’d rather not start any controversy. Implants, liposuctions and plastic surgery are a matter of personal choice. I can’t comment on what others do. As for me, I’ve only got my enamel bleached. It’s as simple as getting your teeth cleaned by a dentist. See, I’ve never had a pearly white set of teeth. I suffered from a calcium deficiency, which made my teeth look a little stained. So I needed to get them cleaned. I felt my teeth were too big and wanted them corrected. I told the dentist that my face was lopsided and that I had a strange smile. He assured me that my teeth were just fine. According to him, my large teeth broke the symmetry of my mouth and gave my face an interesting dimension. So if my doctor is happy, who am I to complain?”
Coming UP! Plastic Surgery Disasters and Coffee time cosmetic procedures.