Lakme Eye Shadow Quartet Moondust- Review
Hello Dear all!!!! ‘Smokey eyes and nude lips’ look is gaining a cult status now. Soon it will become a classic like the Red Lips!!!
I wanted a black smokey eye palette very badly. I looked for it at Maybelline, Colorbar, etc. But couldn’t get the exact shades I wanted. I knew of Lakme’s Moondust but wasn’t too sure about it. But when I could find nothing else I got the Lakmé Moondust Eye shadow Quartet.
It was around Rs. 300/- when I bought this which was around six months back. I don’t have any idea about the current price. (Knowing Lakme it’s bound to be more!!!!)
How did I find it???
It was sheer disappointment!!!!
Ok… So that’s the Moondust palette. It has four colours. The all have different finishes.
- White- Matte, for highlighting. It actually looks and feels like chalk powder. It goes patchy on the eyes. The swatch you see above is 3-4 swipes. Absolutely n0 colour pay-off and is a nightmare to blend. It does not highlight the brow bone. It looks like you have been playing with a chalk stick. Awful!!!
- An indescribable colour- It is neither maroon nor brown; nor purple. Neither it is copper… It is a mixture of all of them. It is for the crease. The colour is more like a loose powder and falls all over the face while applying. It does not stay at one place. If you apply it at the crease and shut your eyes it transfers to the lid.
- Black- The black is actually coal dust. I could get more intense colour if I used a coal on my eyes!!! Very black but it goes all matte and contradicts with the other colours. I use it only to fill in my eyebrows.
- Silver- Shiny, shiny metallic silver. Again goes all over the face. It’s a lid colour. Out of the four it is better.
Here’s why I am not a fan of this palette-
- The colour pay-off is a joke.
- The white is chalk powder and black is coal powder. I absolutely hate the quality.
- The silver and the other PMP (Purplish-Maroonish-Plumish) colours are good but tend to mix with each other on the eyes.
- The colours do not stick well to the eyes. They mix with each other and after 15 min of application; there is no differentiating the colours.
- The colours come loose after you dip the brush in. There is way too much product on the brush. Even after you dust it off, there is too much colour on your lashes and cheeks.
- The colours start fading after just 15-20 min. By the end of an hour I just have some patches of dark colour on my eyes.
- The silver is good but too intense for my liking.
- I am using this palette only for filling my brows. So I am using just one colour. I can find no other use for it.
- I would not dignify the sponge tip applicator by talking about it…..
I am just giving a small DIY smokey eyes tutorial. I am using the same Moondust quartet. But pleeeeaassee use a different palette yourself. The smokey eyes is one of my favourite looks.
So here we go:
1. I start with lining my upper lash line. Yeah I do it first. It gives me a base to build on. I apply a thin line and slightly winged. I have used the Lakmé Eye artist. (One of the few Lakme products I simply adore…) 2. Then I draw a line with the darkest shade exactly on top of the liner. I use a flat eye shadow brush for this. Looks something like this…. 3. Then I start with the lid colour and cover ¾ th of the entire eye lid with the colour. Silver in this case. Always start from the inner corner. 4. Should look something like this. 5. Apply the crease colour; the PMP in this case.
6. Apply the highlight colour on the brow bone and blend all the colours together to eliminate any harsh lines.
7. Fill in your brows and we are done.
That’s it!!! Though the shadows are not looking that bad in the photos, they don’t stay this way for more than 15-20 min. I used this palette only because I was reviewing it. I prefer my Inglot Smokey Eye shadow palette much better.
After 15 minutes…… See the colors are already fading and the PMP is nowhere in sight!!!!!
P.S. I forgot to apply mascara later. Sorry about that….
I hope you all like my attempt at the smokey eyes..
Here’s my final rating on Moondust: :star: ….
Only because I use the black colour as eyebrow fill!!!!
Anyways, until next time…
Love and hugs