Skincare for Swimmers
Swimming is indeed a very beneficial way to beat the heat and keep your body toned and relaxed. But, with these benefits come some skin issues that you may face just after few sessions in the pool. Regular swimmers are very prone to skin problems due to the presence of chlorine and other chemicals in the pool.
Before you jump in the pool always make some preparations to protect your skin from the harmful effects of these chemicals. Mentioned below are few tips that will help you relax in the water, whether it’s chlorinated water, salt water or fresh water, without the fear of getting your skin slashed by any potential irritants.
Basic skin care for swimmers
• Be sure to apply sunscreen with both UVA and UVB protection before stepping in. Also make sure that the sunscreening product should be waterproof, sweat free, oil-free and offer all-day skin care protection. Keep in mind to apply sunblock every half an hour (especially if you are swimming in the sun) to protect your skin from sun damage. Try to take a shower immediately after you come out of the pool. It will help keep your skin clean and chlorine-free.
• Use a heavy duty moisturizer or body lotion few minutes before applying your sunblock. Opt for a mild moisturizer that’s fragrance and chemical-free.
• If you develop some skin rash after your swim, don’t scratch even if it is itchy. Just put some moisturizer over the skin to lessen itchiness. If it becomes persistent, then it would be good to see a doctor for proper medical attention.
• Carry a bottle of water and keep sipping on it. You can also drink non-alcoholic summer coolers to keep yourself hydrated and also flush out toxins from your system. Skin is more likely to feel rough and dry if you are dehydrated. Also, as dehydration breaks down the skin’s natural defences, it makes skin more likely to be damaged by chlorine. So, keeping your skin properly moisturised and hydrated will save you from the pain of chapped and flaky skin situation.
• Application of ripe banana fruit pack, curd and honey will naturally improve skin tone and retain a healthy glow.
• Mix together equal quantities of (¼ cup) coconut oil and almond oil in a small bowl. Whisk them well and store in a airtight container. Massage the oil into your skin until absorbed. Try applying the coconut and almond oil to your skin before each swim. The oils will help lubricate your skin and protect it from the drying effects of the water.
Hope these tips will help you enjoy your swim without worrying too much about your skin.
Biotique Morning Nectar Nourishing Lotion
Vaseline Total Moisture 24 Hr Nourishing Lotion
Usage of Glycerin for Hydration of Skin and Hair
Ways To Keep The Skin Hydrated
Kaya Skin Clinic Intense Hydration Body Lotion
Swim for Hot Body
Skin and Hair Care Routine while Swimming