WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
How are you doing today? Please accept my advance Raksha Bandhan wishes. I am determined to celebrate rakhi with Aadya this time unlike the last time when rakhi simply meant crying and missing my home. Moreover, she is growing up pretty fast and quite attentive nowadays and there is no other beautiful opportunity than this Raksha Bandhan festival for us to teach our kids the importance of siblings and the essence of pious selfless love that we share with our siblings. Anyway, before I start feeling nostalgic, let’s get on with the review. After my hit/miss experiences with various toners (which also burned holes in my pocket), I found solace in rose water and witch hazel. One of my friends introduced me to Dickinson’s witch hazel toner and since then, I have never looked at other options and I was so excited to share this pocket-friendly option with you considering its effect on all skin types including sensitive, dry, oily, acne prone. Let’s read on further to know more about Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner.
$5 to $8 for 16 Fl Oz (473 ml), also available in 8 fl oz bottle in limited stores and price may vary from store to store.
This clear witch hazel toner comes in a transparent plastic bottle packaging with safety flip top opening. It does have a really strong pungent smell which is beyond my tolerance for the first few minutes and I really don’t remember if I ever smelt such a pungent smell before, but anyway, it stays for a short time period, so no issues. Considering its size, I don’t feel it would be travel friendly, though it’s also available in a small 8 oz pack, which is easy to carry around.
My Experience with Dickinsons Original Witch Hazel:
I am really impressed with this toner considering it is so cheap yet naturally formulated and I feel it sets the bar for other brands in the market. It really helped my weird oily/acne-prone skin from getting worse. Currently, we are experiencing dry and scorching summers, which simply means that if I skip moisturizer, we end up getting dry flakes and if I use moisturizer, I end up with shiny and oily face within a few hours, pathetic! Thankfully, I have discovered skin care regimen which works like a charm on my skin, especially in summers and this Dickinson’s witch hazel toner is certainly one of them. I can definitely notice the difference of using natural toner on my skin as my skin feels smooth, soft yet clear without those nasty red burning spots or dry flakes.
I am also impressed to see that it is way mild and gentle on my skin whether I use it generously or sparsely on my skin. I use it every day after cleansing my skin and I observed a difference after 1-2 weeks of using it. My pores did appear smaller and free of black/white heads unlike earlier days though credit also goes to my other skin care stuff, but this toner certainly worked in conjunction with those products. It also evaporates quickly off my skin leaving it smooth and oil free though I cannot stand its pungent smell. It never caused any breakouts and I didn’t feel any dry/flaky skin since I started using it.
It can be easily used in conjunction with any other skin care stuff (natural/chemically derived ones). I also use it as my facial toner at times after coming back from scorching sun outside and it feels really soothing and refreshing, and I need not follow it up with any lotion. It works great post scrubbing/acid peels, tried and tested on me! I often use it after Dr. Dennis Gross’ Alpha Beta Peel Pads and it never reacted on my skin nor gave me red/bumpy skin like other toners. In fact, I feel it did help in changing the texture of my skin from weird oily/sensitive to just oily I feel.
I can’t imagine my day without a pop of zit here and there, but after a month religious usage of Dickinson’s witch hazel, I am certainly enjoying clear skin days, irrespective of my sleep/eating habits for the first time ever in summers! I am really determined to continue with it during winters for it is very mild and gentle and it won’t rip the moisture off my skin, which makes it ideal for my skin all year round. I wholeheartedly recommend it to every beauty, it is certainly a keeper for oily/sensitive/combination/acne-prone skin. I am seriously hooked to it, already purchased my second bottle.
Let’s sum up pros and cons:
Pros of Dickinsons Original Witch Hazel:
- Naturally formulated witch hazel toner with no parabens, chemicals, sulfates, alcohol, dyes, synthetic fragrance, mineral oil/essential oils.
- Effect of using natural pure witch hazel toner is well visible, it leaves the skin soft, smooth and clear.
- Does not rip moisture off my skin, in fact I feel it provides hydration to my skin.
- There are times when I use it alone on my face without following up with lotion or moisturizer and it gave me pretty good results.
- Never gave me dry/flaky skin, in fact cleared my skin in due course of time.
- Mildly exfoliates and I can see whitehead/blackhead free pores.
- Does blur pores and effectively shrinks them for a good time period from day one of use.
- Does not clog pores, clears them from within.
- Clears dirt, grime, traces of oil effectively without ripping off moisture from the skin.
- Works well in conjunction with other natural/chemically formulated skin products.
- I use it post scrubbing/cleansing/polishing and it never disappointed me.
- Can also be used as a facial tonic for refreshing and soothing effect.
- Absorbs pretty fast leaving behind no residue, just shine-free skin.
- Considering its wonderful qualities, I feel it’s a steal at such a pocket-friendly price and quantity.
Cons of Dickinsons Original Witch Hazel:
- Has a very strong pungent smell which is really nauseating and might be a turn off for sensitive noses, even though it stays only for a few seconds.
- Not a miracle toner and does not give results overnight, does take time to show results.
- Might not be effective on white/blackheads, it simply clears pores and prevents future breakouts, but it won’t do anything for existing white/blackheads.
- Available in 16 fl oz bottle, but I usually go for small travel-sized versions.
Honestly, I don’t regret buying this jumbo bottle except for the fear of losing it as my toddler keeps carrying it from one room to another 😛 This toner is definitely going to stay in my skin care regimen all year round.
For me, it’s 4.5/5!
Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner
Original Source Vanilla Milk and Raspberry Shower Cream
Jergens Original Scent Cherry Almond Moisturizer
Original Source Lemon and Tea Tree Shower Gel
bareMinerals Original Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15
Aroma Magic Witch Hazel Pack
VLCC Witch Hazel & Rose Water Gentle Face Wash
Boots Shine Control Day Moisturizer – Tea Tree and Witch Hazel
Venus and Mars Happy Pores Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel Toner
H2O Dual Action Pore Perfecting Brush
The Body Shop Seaweed Pore Perfector
Lakme Perfecting Liquid Foundation
Organic Surge Skin Perfecting Polish
Clarins Smooth Perfecting Touch
L’Oreal Paris Infallible Lasting Perfecting Foundation
Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer
Top 5 Skin Toner under Rs 200
Top 15 Homemade Face Toner Recipes
Nivea Visage Sparkling Glow Fairness Toner
Fabindia Tea Tree Skin Toner
The Body Shop Aloe Vera Calming Cleanser and Toner