Low Calorie Breakfast Recipes
“Eat Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a Pauper.” – I am sure most of you would have heard/read this old saying countless times. The basic idea behind the phrase is that the first meal of the day should be the biggest as it is what jump starts the day in terms of nutritional needs of the body. As the day goes by, one should reduce portion sizes as metabolism tends to slow down.
What most of us fail to understand or can not manage (thanks to our hectic work lives) is a healthy breakfast. We know its benefits, we know its productive and all the rest but who has the time! After struggling to find ways to ditch processed breakfast foods (read masala oats, corn flakes, bread), I have compiled a list of simple 10-minute recipes that help me put a fresh, piping hot spread on the table every morning for my family. Oh what joy it is to see them digging into it heartily! 🙂
Here goes two of my super quick, low calorie, healthy breakfast recipes – for kids and adults alike:
Corn Meal Upma Recipe:
The good old Upma gets a makeover with Cornmeal! Cornmeal means “makki ka atta.” This is a low calorie, healthy recipe that guarantees a good start to the day.
- 1 cup cornmeal.
- French beans.
- ½ or 1 small carrot (chopped finely).
- 1 cup Capsicum (chopped finely).
- 1 potato (chopped finely).
- 1 onion (chopped finely).
- ½ cup Green Peas.
- 2 tbsp oil.
- Lemon juice (of 1 lemon).
- Spices: Mustard seeds, Curry Leaves, Salt, Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric, Coriander Powder.
- Boil all vegetables (except onions) together and keep aside.
Tip: To add more color to this breakfast recipe, use capsicum of red, green and yellow color together.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and curry leaves. As they splutter add onions. Fry for 2 mins till they turn pink.
- Now, add boiled vegetables. Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add spices, mix and put the lid onto the pan so that the veggies steam for 2 minutes and spices blend well.
- Remove the lid and add cornmeal. Mix thoroughly. Add water to smoothen the consistency and avoid any lumps.
- Steam for another minute or two.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and sprinkle some lime juice. Serve hot.
Rava Utthapam Recipe in Microwave – Ready in 4 minutes!
A tasty, quick recipe without a drop of oil! Onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves add to the taste and flavour in this recipe.
- Rava/sooji 1 Cup.
- 1 medium sized Onion (chopped).
- 1 medium sized tomato (chopped).
- 1 green chilly (chopped or sliced).
- Salt to taste.
- Wash rava/sooji and keep aside.
- Chop onion, tomato, coriander leaves and green chillies.
- In a bowl, mix the veggies with sooji, add salt as per your taste and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, bring out your microwave tawa and spread this thick paste of rava on it. With this quantity of rava mixture, you can make 2 medium sized uttapams.
- Once the paste is spread evenly, cook in microwave on 100% power for about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve this yummy rava uttapam breakfast recipe with tomato ketchup or coconut chutney on the side. I once ate home made rava uttapam with mango chutney and it tasted good – a taste worth experimenting with.
About the Author:
Outfit of the Day : Pankaj & Nidhi High Low Shirt
Outfit of the Day: High Low Hemline Blouse with Coral Pants
How To Burn Calories Quickly
10 Healthy and Tasty Breakfast Ideas
Soap and Glory The breakfast Scrub Body Smoother
Top 5 Healthy Indian Breakfast Recipes
My Top Favorite Breakfast Ideas