WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
It seems like Maybelline Moisture Extreme Lipsticks have been around forever. I owned a pink shade (don’t remember the name now) of this lipstick about 5 years ago. It had shimmer in it and at that time I was not a fan of shimmer in lipsticks. So the lipstick got thrown out or given away. It was some months ago when I bought another of these lippies that I realized just how moisturizing they were! Even then, there were some flaws. Low staying power was a known one. Secondly, the lipstick travelled outside the lip line regularly, what with it being so creamy and moisturizing. This kept me from using it and the tube got hushed into a dark corner of my vanity.
I just recently chanced upon this forsaken tube and put it on. Whoa mama! What pigmentation, what shine! Just the perfect coral for day wear. The shade I put on was Buff, a coral-nude shade, good for summer. But I was aware of its shifting tendencies. Still, I gave it a go at one of my recent outings, with some foundation dabbed underneath it. When I returned home after 3 hours, the lipstick was intact, shine and everything. The lipstick did not let me down. This rediscovery led me to purchasing another of these lippies this weekend. I got Pure Plum, a colour that speaks for itself. It is a beautiful berry shade that is not too pink nor too purple, but just right, especially for wheatish skin tones.
The lipstick itself feels very smooth going on the lips. The finish is a creamy shine, but not too much shine either. The texture of the lipstick is thin, and it feels light on the lips. It is neither sticky nor slimy as one would expect from such a moisturizing lipstick. Probably some of these factors make it not-so-long-lasting as some of the others. I’d say that if you are gloss-only person but want to cheat on your glosses, this lipstick would be the one to have an affair with. They are my new love and I’ve even started liking the tiny red packaging they come in. These tubes are the shortest ones in my army of lipsticks, with Maybelline Color Sensational hunks looking down upon these little minions. But these tiny tubes pack a punch, and for just 220 Rupees a pop, they could give Color Sensationals a run for their money.
Maybelline Moisture Extreme: Buff (left) and Pure Plum swatches
The good about Maybelline Moisture Extreme lipsticks:
- They are super smooth and moisturizing. They look and feel luxurious.
- They go on as a thin layer on the lips and don’t feel heavy on the lips.
- The colour density is pretty good, so you get good pigmentation with even just one swipe. They are not sheer by any means.
- Even though they don’t boast of major staying power, they don’t just disappear from the lips without a trace. They leave a stain that does not look bad except for maybe the smudged appearance around the lip line.
- I have not seen them melt during summers, either in the tube or on the lips. But that may be because in Bangalore we don’t usually have extreme weather conditions.
- They seem to plump up the lips somewhat. Or perhaps it is the shiny finish that makes the lips look fuller. For small lipped people like me, this is a major plus.
- The price. They are one of the most inexpensive options available in the market for the quality you get. I’d pick one of these any day over some of the drying but more expensive ones from Lakme.
- I haven’t been able to detect any major smell, except for maybe a very faint lipstick smell (not a problem for me).
- The cap of the tube snaps tightly, so there is no danger of the cap loosening or getting lost.
- The quantity is small enough for you to run out of a tube. I feel very satisfied when I “run out” of beauty products. That makes me feel like I actually bought something good enough to use up.
The Not-so-good about Maybelline Moisture Extreme lipsticks:
- Most of the Moisture Extreme colors lean on the nude side (in India) and the variety of medium to bold shades is limited.
- The staying power of these lippies is not high. I’d say 2 hours, without any base product like foundation or concealer to hold the lipstick in place. Because of the buttery moisture content, the lipstick rubs off the lips easily.
- Due to its smooth and slightly slippery nature, the lipstick easily travels outside the lip line and hence looks smudged. But this problem is easily corrected by either dabbing a minuscule amount of concealer/foundation on the lips before application or by using a lip liner.
- Sometimes it feels like the lips have completely absorbed the moisture content of the lipstick and the colour looks wiped out from the lips. So even though they are extremely moisturizing, they would not go well directly on parched lips.
- Because they are super soft, chapped lips could end up getting denser colour in places.
- Definitely cannot be worn with a long-stay lip liner. Otherwise you will be left with bare lips and a “ring” around them in a couple hours!
- The tube cannot “stand” in a way that you can see the color from top. The cap of the lipstick is rounded. That means you have to keep the other end of the lipstick downwards, which hides the name and color from the view. Then how are you supposed to pick out the color you want from possibly many multiple Moisture Extreme tubes in your collection?
Overall, I’d say that if you are looking for a moisturizing formula and you don’t mind doing touch ups, then you need a tube of this. Out of their many neutral shades, you’re sure to find one that you can quickly swipe on with your eyes closed and get out the door. Or pick one of their bolder shades for added oomph.
Product rating: :-* :-* :-* + 0.5
Have you used Maybelline Moisture Extreme lipsticks? Do you have a favourite?
Also Read :
- Maybelline Watershine Pure Lipstick Photos, Swatches
- Lip Swatches, Photos of Revlon Colorburst Soft Rose and Maybelline Color Sensational Autumn Rush Lipsticks
- Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick- My Mahogany