Today’s post is all about taking care of acne-prone skin. As you may already know, exfoliating your skin on a regular basis is an essential part of any skincare routine. Exfoliation helps you routinely get rid of the dead skin cells and therefore revive and rejuvenate the skin. You will find that regular exfoliation increases the blood flow to your face and gives your skin a natural and radiant glow. However, for those of you who have acne-prone skin, exfoliation can be a little tricky. There’s the common belief that exfoliating increases or aggravates the acne (this isn’t true—it all depends on the how you’re exfoliating your skin). This post is about 8 ways to exfoliate acne prone skin. Here are a few things you need to keep in mind when it comes to exfoliating or scrubbing acne prone skin:
1. Stay away from rough or gritty scrubs: If you have acne-prone skin, it’s essential that you stay away from harsh and gritty physical exfoliators. If you see scrubs that have too many coloured beads in them, it’s best to avoid those kinds. While choosing a scrub, make sure that the exfoliator is gentle and made with natural ingredients. You could also whip a DIY face scrub at home using gentle and effective kitchen ingredients.
2. Use exfoliators that contain salicylic acid: When it comes to scrubbing or exfoliating acne prone skin, you want to look out for products that contain skin-clearing ingredients like salicylic acid. Cleansers and scrubs that contain salicylic acid go that extra mile to combat and heal the acne on your skin while keeping it clean.
Recommendation: Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub
3. Use facial brushes or exfoliating tools: Another great option for acne-prone skin is to use a very gentle cream or oil-based cleanser (whatever suits your skin the best) along with a facial cleansing brush or tool. You could also use face mitts. The idea is to scrub your face in a very gentle and controlled manner so as to avoid aggravating the acne.
Recommendation: Clarisonic Mia 2 Sonic Cleansing System
4. Go for chemical exfoliators: An excellent alternative to physical scrubs and exfoliators for acne-prone skin is a chemical peel or exfoliator. These products don’t disrupt the skin’s surface, but work at a deeper level to exfoliate the skin, rid it of any dead cells, and rejuvenate the skin.
5. Apply a deep cleansing face mask: Using a deep cleansing face mask (one that is made with multani mitti or charcoal) is an excellent way to scrub and exfoliate the skin, especially in the case of acne-prone skin. These face masks contain powerful ingredients that allow the skin to heal. While taking these face masks off, you can gently massage them and exfoliate the skin in the process. This allows the face mask to work even better on the skin.
Recommendation: Forest Essentials Multani Mitti Facial Ubtan
6. Follow up the scrubbing with toner and moisturizer: The most important thing to keep in mind when it comes to scrubbing acne-prone skin is what you do after. It’s essential to soothe, fresh and moisturize the skin once you have exfoliated it. This is a crucial step that prevents the acne from getting aggravated. Use a balancing toner, a refreshing face mist, a rejuvenating skin serum or oil, and a deeply restorative moisturizer right after you have scrubbed clean your skin.
Recommendation: Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer SPF 15
7. Glycolic-acid Based Product for Gentle Exfoliation:
Glycolic acid is an amazing ingredient for all skin types because it loosens up the bonds that hold dead skin cells together and clears up the gunk and oil from pores and as a result, you would have no clogged pores and no breakouts in the future.
Our Recommendation: Pixi Glow Tonic Exfoliating Toner
8. Oats and Turmeric Scrub:
Oats acts as a nice cleanser, that also treats acne and pimples. It helps to remove dryness and patchy skin that makes skin soft and smooth. Oats is great to provide moisturisation to all skin type and it makes skin healthy. It is also helps to brighten up the skin and makes it fresh and glowing. To make this mask, take 1 tbsp of yogurt and add 2-3 small spoons of Oats. Mix both the ingredients properly. Add 1 spoon of Honey to it and combine them nicely. Add ½ spoon of turmeric powder in the bowl and mix them smoothly into a nice paste. Apply this mask on the face and neck area for 20 minutes and rinse off with normal water. This mask has all good ingredients, that keep skin moisturized throughout the day. It simply makes skin smooth and supple. It effectively helps to reduce the dullness and makes the texture bright. It also helps to rejuvenated skin and every time I can feel my fresh soft skin. It is a nice face mask before any occasion when we need an extra glow on face and it provides that healthy glow nicely. Basically this mask works on all skin type, especially during this winter it is a great bless face mask for those unwanted dryness on skin. I hope you enjoy this super easy face mask.