WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Women formal wear
It is true that women have reached the top positions in many industries, but dressing up for such a position is still a struggle for many. How you dress up for work shows how seriously you take your work and that’s how others will perceive you. In this time of cut throat competition, your seniors are constantly judging you, not just your work but also your presentation skills.
Indira Nooyi, Michelle Obama, Shabana Azmi
Following are some tips to be kept in mind while dressing for work:
- Dress for the job you want, not the one that you have. If you are a trainee and you dream of climbing the corporate level, it is important you dress accordingly and show everyone your goals.
- Take a hint from your boss’s boss wardrobe, because that’s where you want to be.
- You are the face of your company, for your employees as well as for your clients. So keep the company’s brand image in mind while dressing up for work and avoid clothes that clash with your corporate culture.
- Anything that makes a sound should not be on your body. So no trinkets, no glass bangles, and yes, no noisy heels.
- If you want to be taken seriously at your workplace and don’t want to be the topic of water cooler conversation, NO skin show. That means no deep neck blouses and skirts should end just above your knee. Some places even expect their employees to wear full sleeves shirts, closed toe shoes and pantyhose, its best to take a hint from your seniors.
- All your separates should be clean fitted and neatly ironed. The fit is the most important part. In most cases, that means taking branded clothes to a tailor for alteration. Starch iron all your shirts and cotton sarees to keep them looking crisp and dry clean all clothes that don’t directly come in contact with your body, like sweaters and blazers.
- It is best to wear solid deep muted colours to work. Bright colours and prints could be used in scarves and ties only. So avoid bright orange shirt or shoes even if it’s the colour of the season and your mom thinks it looks great on you.
- Different dress codes mean different things in different offices. Business casual means different things in MTV and Microsoft. Casual Saturdays doesn’t mean that you can go to office in your linen pajamas. If you are wearing jeans for the casual days, they should not be skinny, faded, torn or embellished.
- Too much perfume is as irritating and noticeable as body odour.
- Hair style and colour, make up and accessories is personal style and shouldn’t be a problem, as long as it doesn’t distract you and the others from work.
- If your job requires you to attend meetings with clients, always keep a spare in your car or desk drawer. There is nothing worse than having to give a presentation in a shirt with coffee spilled over it.
- The best of clothes will fail to impress anyone if your nail paint is chipped and your lips are chapped. Make efforts to groom yourself in every aspect.
- While it is important to avoid looking too trendy, your attire doesn’t have to be boring. After all you are a woman and you don’t have to dress up like a man.
A great wardrobe begins with great basics. An ideal work wear wardrobe will include the following and more:
Formal pants straight fit
Grey and black pant suit
Closed toe pumps
Leather closed toe ballerinas
Kohlapuri chappals (strictly to be worn with cotton sarees and suits)
Office handbag (matched with your belt and shoes)
Fitted skirt that ends just above your knees
Metal strap silver watch
Fitted black dress
Women to look upto for work wear fashion:
Melinda Gates, co-founder and co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
As the co-chair of this foundation, Melinda travels around the world to villages in developing nations. She is always dressed in an understated yet elegant way with minimum accessories and makeup. Her wardrobe ensures that the attention is always on her work and her opinions.
Priyanka Gandhi, Indian politician
Although she says she has no plans of joining politics, she does visit Rae Barely often to campaign for her mother’s party. Being the daughter of the most powerful woman in India and the wife of one of the most powerful businessmen in India, Priyanka Gandhi understands the importance of good presentation. Her innate cuteness lets her carry a cotton saree and formal shirt with equal elan.
What kind of work wear do you prefer? Is there any particular style that you’d like to go for?
Also Read :
Office / Formal wears for Women in Contemporary Times
Military Fashion Trend Wear
Different Types Of Handbags – Which one would you pick?
Interview: What NOT to Wear for a Job Interview
Cardigans: How to Wear a Cardigan Sweater
Bags: Bag It This Winter
Black Dresses- In Fashion, Every Season
How to Wear Jewelry & Fashion Accessories
Top 10 Wardrobe Essentials