Since ages Aloe Vera has been an indispensable part of Indian skin care routine. I still remember how my dadi used to fresh Aloe Vera pulp on her face, hands, knees and feet. Aloe Vera has many benefits, if applied externally or taken internally. Here are some of the things it does –
Applied for :
- Healing small cuts, insect stings, grazes and wounds.
- Healing and repairing skin tissue after burns, including sunburn.
- Healing skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, acne, general itching.
- Cosmetic uses such as moisturising and improving the elasticity of the skin.
Ingested as a gel/juice for:
- Digestive conditions such as IBS, peptic ulcers, acid reflux, , candida etc.
- Musculo-skeletal conditions such as arthritis, rheumatism, etc.
- Immune-related conditions such as asthma, hay fever.
- Overall protection (as an antioxidant) against free radicals.
It is a pain for me to find an Aloe Vera plant and cut it and take out pulp so I use Aloe Vera gels available in the market. My tub was almost over and I wanted to buy a new one when I saw the Patanjali Aloe Vera Gel. Two things that attracted me to it were, it was in a tube and second it’s from Ramdev Baba’s initiative so I thought it must be more natural as compared to others. This is what it looks like –
Price – Rs.75 for 150ml
What it claims – Aloe Vera Gel for natural beauty, safety and useful for removal of pigmented spots.
Ingredients – Aloe Vera 90% W/V , Base Material – q.s , Permitted Colours – Tartazine Yellow and Brilliant blue , Vitamin E , Fragrance and Preservatives q.s
- It is a natural product (according to me the preservatives added are inevitable )
- It comes in a tube. More hygienic and easy to use .My previous gel in a tub had become clumpy; I think it will not happen in a tube.
- It works on acne, reduces inflammation and helps with slight burns also. (I know because I happened to spill boiling water on my hands, it turned red but this gel immediately cooled and prevented further damage. Although the burning was very little)
- Works on hair too.
- It has Vitamin E added.
- It is cheap.
- Works amazingly as a post waxing/threading toner, whenever I get my eyebrows threaded the area hurts for the whole day. It helps with that too.
- It has colours and fragrance. I don’t think it was needed, the colours could have been skipped to retain the naturalness and how bad can aloe Vera gel smell that they added fragrance .Unnecessary additions.
- Availability might be an issue; Ramdev Baba’s products are known to have irregular supply and most of the times things are out of stock.
- They should have mentioned what base material they have used.
My take on this – It is a nice green coloured gel having a faint pleasant smell. Again the tube is very user friendly and sturdy comes with a flip open cap. I apply it only my cheeks as of now. On application it gives a strong cooling sensation, within a few minutes it is totally absorbed but the area feels a little sticky. It is very moisturising, and helps with dry skin also. I totally love this because it subdued all inflammation on my face within two days; also I have been applying it on the acne scars. It has visibly reduced the already light scars, but hasn’t shown any difference on the dark spots. I guess its just a matter of time, maybe the darker spots need more time .My cheeks look smoother and even the texture of my skin has improved. I guess it has also worked on open pores.
On hair – I was making my regular hair pack and thought of adding a little of this gel also, for experimentation sake. I added about two teaspoons of it. My hair was more conditioned as compared to using the pack without the gel. So it gets a thumbs up in the hair department also.
Over all , this is one product that stays with me .I can totally predict that I will be loving it more in summers ,we all know how Indian summer is :P. Aloe Vera Gel works wonders on sunburns too .
Will I repurchase – YES!! And will recommend it also.
Rating – 4/5 (if they wouldn’t have added the colours and fragrance it would have been a 5)