WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
I have humongous makeup collection, so I was planning to get rid of makeup items, which I don’t use or are expired to simplify my makeup collection. This post is to share some tips and tricks I use to declutter my makeup collection.
First two steps that you need to do before even starting decluttering:
STEP 1: Get Organized:
You might think, why would I organize my collection before I declutter it, but honestly if your makeup is all over your place, you might not really understand, how much makeup you have or how many of the same colours you have, what products are old. Its best to get it at one place.
STEP 2: Divide Everything into Category:
Dividing everything into a category makes the process easier and less time consuming. For eg:
Separate your collection into lips, face and eyes. Then further categorize into lipsticks, liquid lipsticks, lip balm, glosses and lip liner. For face blushes, bronzer, highlighter and concealer. For eyes liner, mascara, eyeshadow and so on.
Now let’s get on how to declutter:
1. Get rid of old or expired product. Here is the product expiration period list, after which you should dispose of the product;
Eyeliner: 6 months to 1 year
Mascara: 3 – 6 months
Blush eyeshadow and other powder cosmetics: 1 -2 years
Foundation: 6 months to 2 years
Lipstick: 2 years
Within this time period, the makeup products should be deposed of, but I don’t necessarily follow all of them, because if I throw away my makeup that often, that we are spending a lot of money on, it’s like throwing your money. But, if something has clearly changed color, texture or smells bad, then you need to let it go.
2. Now get rid of the products you think won’t work for you, the shade/colour doesn’t suit you or you just don’t like or don’t want to use product any further. Sometimes, it hard to let go off a product you have spent a lot of money on, you keep on telling yourself you will find a way to use it or make it work, but actually you never did that, now it the time to get rid of it. You can pass on products which are in a good condition but doesn’t work for you, it might work for someone else, maybe your sister or friend.
3. Create a Maybe pile, sometimes I take a basket and put in makeup products that are Maybe, then I decide which ones are similar or will try some products again on my face and if I like it I will put it back in my collection again or else I will giveaway or if it is very old I will throw away.
4. Constantly rotate your makeup, select certain products to use in a week or month and decide if you didn’t like it, just get rid of that product, in this way you won’t keep on stacking up your makeup drawer.
5. Once you have done decluttering, throw away the expired products, don’t give it to someone else, since they are expired and may cause irritation to skin or any skin infection. If there are products that are brand new or used only a few times and you don’t like it or don’t want to use it, pass it on to a family member or a friend.
Those are all my decluttering tips; I hope these are helpful for you guys as well
How To Make A Simple Makeup Organizer – Do It Yourself
10 Amazing Ways To Store Your Makeup
Hairband Holder/Organizer – Do It Yourself
How To Make Makeup Storage Box with Unused Cartons: Do It Yourself
7 Ways to Streamline Your Makeup Routine
10 Unique Ways Of Applying Kohl
10 Types Of Makeup Brushes Every Girl Should Own
10 Beauty Tricks Every Gorgeous Supermodel Knows About
Best Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Best Tips to Spring Clean Your Makeup Collection