Cellulite and Women
Of late I have realized that men are the luckiest of all the species alive on earth, well, I know we all realized it in grade 8 or 9 😛 but now its like a proven and prominent fact. 😉
Here’s why I actually think men are lucky:
• Firstly, their surname remains with them all their lives.
• Next, they don’t bleed every month. :p
• They own the garage. :/
• They do not need to actually plan their wedding. “sara kaam ladkiwalo ka hota hai” 😛
• They can never get pregnant, no matter what they do. 😛
• They can happily wear a white shirt or t-shirt in the pool; they can skip the shirt too. 😛
• Chips and chocolate is just another snack for them. 😛
• Car mechanics can never fool them. 😛 They spit out the truth to them.
• They do not think before loosening the nut bolt, like which way to turn it. Ughhh
• They can wear new shoes happily without blisters and cut.
• And last but not the list no stretch marks and cellulite. What else do you need to be happy?
Well, today in this article I am going to talk about a real messy and common skin disorder with women. It possibly can’t be called a disorder or doesn’t really have a particular registration with the medical “incurable” diseases, but there’s no good word for it either. 😛
Cellulite or the cottage cheese skin condition is cosmetic problem. Cellulite is one thing every woman has at some or the other point of life. But many of us don’t really have a clear idea about cellulite. So here it is.
Cellulite basically occurs to women over 40 years of age or over weight and obese women at any age whereas men do not have cellulite at all, even if they are obese too. Puberty, menstruation, and pregnancy may also contribute to cellulite development.
It’s basically an alteration or modification of the skin around the pelvic region, the lighter counterparts, the abdomen and the lower limbs. Gynoid lipodystrophy, adiposis edematosa, nodular liposclerosis are some other reference to cellulite in medical terms.
Cellulite can appear as an orange peel, roughly dimpled or padded skin. It is a deposit of fat just below the skin surface. It usually happens when the fatty cells squeeze out and break out collagen fibers which further merge with the fat tissues giving bulging skin.
The actual causes of cellulite still remain a mystery for science. Around 95% women have cellulite. Cellulite is even evident on the slim trim slender women too.
Why in women?
• The main reason why cellulite is evident in women and not in men is that the collagen fibers in women are arranged in a honeycomb pattern, whereas they are arranged in a crisscross pattern horizontally in men which prevents dimpling and bulging of skin. 🙁
• Studies reveal that the growth of the adipose tissue into the skin layers also causes cellulite in women.
• Also the delicate feminine skin is a main reason for cellulite.
• Age also contributes in the development of cellulite, since the connective tissue in the feminine skin thickens with age whereas the skin gets further thinner.
• When women loose around 5 pounds of muscle weight it gets replaced with 15 pounds of fat every day and since fat is soft it doesn’t keep the skin tight making it bulging and dimpled.
Other causes for cellulite:
• Genetics also play an important role in development of cellulite. White women, more than the asian and dark skinned women are affected by cellulite.
• Hormones are the major contributors for cellulite, since women have more hormones in the body as compared to the men. Mainly the estrogen is involved in cellulite generation.
• Lifestyle also causes cellulite. Mostly the diet which includes carbs and fats causes cellulite.
• Excessive intake of salt also causes cellulite.
• And most of all a sedentary lifestyle, which I know all of us have, is the major reason for cellulite.
• Anxiety, stress and depression also cause cellulite.
Caffeine Addiction and Women
Chocolate Addiction in Women
5 Legs Exercises for Thighs, Hips and Calves
Blemishes– Causes & Skin Care
How To Look Good in Shorts
Leg : Skin Care for Great Legs
62 thoughts on “Cellulite and Women”
:jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho: such an awesome article zeeba…now are there any cures or ways to get rid of them????????..I hate these ugly marks…!! :(( :(( They particularly got developed when I gained and lost weight all of a sudden some years back!!!
thanks Cali…:) cures and preventions coming sooon. :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
😀 😀 😀 😀 !!! :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
cellulite :tremble: :tremble: :tremble: :tremble: i hate it :weep: :weep:
all of us do naina… 🙁 :weep: :weep: :weep:
superb article zeeba.
thanks Priyanka :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
Zeeba regarding, surname I had an option to change my surname at all. My parents were after my life that I should change so i added Sanjeev’s surname to my original name. But now I like it that way only. It’s nice to have his name added to my name. 🙂
rest of the things I agree :teeth: :teeth:
zeeba not publishing your comment for privacy purposes. Sorry. :((
ohh its ok… 🙂
but i ws right na? wid ur afta marriage wala surname?
Yup. :)) :toothygrin:
Nice article Zeeba.. I love all your articles it brings in so much of awareness … I dont get time often to comment.. A big thankyou :thanks: , I say it once.. keep writing :waytogo: :waytogo:
thanks Jaish..thanks for liking my work.. 🙂
a nig thanks.. :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
🙂 🙂 🙂
they can happily wear a white tshirt in the pool :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: 😐
then wat ya.. 🙁 :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green:
Rati I too have retained my surname its such a pain to change your passport and other official stuff :sidefrown: But I know its nice to use your husbands surname.. I use it online and on Facebook 🙂
:toothygrin: :toothygrin: :toothygrin: :toothygrin:
Yeah , I still have to get it changed on passport and all but it’s changed in government records. 😀
getting married…seems a tough thing.. 😛
great article…….i have lots of stetch marks from pregnancy but thankfully no cellulite…or maybe i don’t know that it exists
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: monika….
AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ZEEBA! WAITING FOR THE CURES!!!!!!!!
:jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho:
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: 🙂
nice work zeeba… double thumbs up!
Thanks Anks…glad u liked it. :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
zeeba i can give you tonnes of reason to be happy about being a woman 😀 but if i start saying it here , it would sound lk preaching 😛
but nevertheless nice article 🙂 even i have cellulite trouble bz of my sudden gain n loss of 10 kg weight 😛 lol so would wait for your solution wala article 🙂
le…even i knw hw good it is to be a women…… 😛 make up being one of them… :shutmouth: :shutmouth:
kya yaaaaaaaar….these are just few reasons why i guess guys are lucky…………. 😛
jus a fun way to begin an article… 😛
thankoooo Gabbar… 😛 :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
Zeebaaaaa :jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho: :jaiho:
lovely yaar- m so jealous of men!!! but id still like to be a woman in my next birth too.. heheheh
hehheheeh Bee :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
even i wanna b a women all the janams.. 😛 :hugleft: :hugleft:
nice 1 zeeba..
THANKS bHOOMIKA… :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
Zeeba……… :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: thank you lots for exposing the men-kind……………me proud of you :toothygrin: :toothygrin: :toothygrin: :toothygrin:
hehrhhhrehhehehheh….welcome Jomol… :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:
Nice article Zeeba and a very interesting starting….
I tried suuuuuuper hard not to post this part bcoz most of my life i’ve been called a feminist by my guy friends…..but i really cant resist. This does not mean to offend….just for fun……
• Firstly, their surname remains with them all their lives – So wud I n yes I m married :yelo:
• Next, they don’t bleed every month – mother nature gave it to us for a reason, guys r losers in this aspect :toothygrin:
• They own the garage – Not in our case, we both own it equally :jiggy2:
• They do not need to actually plan their wedding. “sara kaam ladkiwalo ka hota hai” – actually my hubby & his family had to do as much planning bcoz they were coming from different stae n did all their arrangements 🙂
• They can never get pregnant, no matter what they do – loser part 2, they wud never know wat it feels like to feel a life grow inside u :heart:
• They can happily wear a white shirt or t-shirt in the pool; they can skip the shirt too – we can wear white bikini, thr shirt or no shirt can never create the same effect our bikini wud :happydance:
• Chips and chocolate is just another snack for them – so is for us :yelo:
• Car mechanics can never fool them. They spit out the truth to them – take the no nonsense attitude, they wudn’t bother lying :whistle:
• They do not think before loosening the nut bolt, like which way to turn it. Ughhh – i know that tooo!!
• They can wear new shoes happily without blisters and cut – i’ve loads of guys getting shoebites :tongue:
• And last but not the list no stretch marks and cellulite – as if they even know wat that is, they wud never get to know if they get it :lol2:
***Cellulite basically occurs to women over 40 years of age or over weight and obese women at any age***
no, that is not true. cellulite affects fat as well as thin women. case in point would be mischa barton. she is thin and yet has loads of cellulite. check this pic : http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_02/mischa1BARCROFT_676x1000.jpg
cellulite can affect anyone irrespective of their weight.
oh and i didn’t change my surname after marriage either. i just don’t see the point in doing so.
hahahaha..dats cool u still have ur surnae…i mean normally ppl do dat.. aishwarya rai bachchan types…malaika arora kha…normal examples are tons..
and cellulite can happen to anyone, irrsp of the fat of the person being fat or thin. hence i mentioned “basically”.
cellulite is nt seen in most of the thin females……..very rare cases. 🙂
and the female in the pic is nt thin…. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: she has a bigger lower body…or hips…. cellulite….. :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: ‘
her torso is undoubtedly toned..bt ooops wid the lower body.
yeah, many women do change their surnames which i find weird. i was clear since i was a teenager that i wasn’t ever gonna change my surname and i didn’t.
and that’s mischa barton!!! she is NOT fat!! this is how she looks aage se..
if that is fat, then where does that put the rest of us!! 😥
and you are right in saying that obese women are more prone to having cellulite but i have read up a lot on this and studies basically say this:
Cellulite occurs in 50-90% of women, regardless of clothing size or how skinny they are. So if you have it, you’re in the majority.
Taken from :
So no, even a super skinny woman can be affected by cellulite and only people of a certain weight and age aren’t affected by it.
baba Batul u r reading too much between the lines….i sed her upper body is toned..her hips are not…
and i am sayng na..ki basically the obese and aged ones are affected by cellulite…..
ok……. basically means mostly..i didnt say the thin cannot be cellulite prone…. ok…\ 😐 😐 😐 😐 😐 😐
her thighs are absolutely toned…bt the hips…….needs darn urgent toning…. :pig: :pig:
oh and so yes, she is thin but her body is not toned…so being fat and not being toned are different things…can we agree on that? O:)
okay okay let’s make peace :yahoo: :yahoo: << that is me being peaceful 😐
Batul, read my comment below 🙂
This is what wikipedia tells me about cellulite-
Cellulite is a topographic skin change claimed to occur in most postpubertal females. It presents as a modification of skin topography evident by skin dimpling and nodularity that occurs mainly in women on the pelvic region, lower limbs, and abdomen, and is caused by the herniation of subcutaneous fat within fibrous connective tissue, leading to a padded or orange peel–like appearance.
And this is what I read about subcutaneous fat-
Subcutaneous fat is found just beneath the skin as opposed to visceral fat which is found in the peritoneal cavity. Subcutaneous fat can be measured using body fat calipers giving a rough estimate of total body adiposity. This fat aids in the process of homeostasis, by forming a layer of insulation to slow heat loss.
This subcutaneous fat is not related to many of the classic obesity-related pathologies, such as heart disease, cancer, and stroke, and there is even some evidence that it might be protective. The typically female (or gynecoid) pattern of body fat distribution around the hips, thighs, and buttocks, is subcutaneous fat, and therefore poses less of a health risk compared to visceral fat.
So what I roughly understand is this- the presence of subcutaneous fat is a must for cellulite. Therefore, a woman might be thin in other areas of the body but if she is suffering from cellulite she must be having fat distribution around hips, thighs and buttocks. But how much fat would you term as ‘obesity’ is subjective.
yeah sanjeev, this just reaffirms what i was saying all along…the article says…
Cellulite is a topographic skin change claimed to occur in****most postpubertal females***
Batul, I think you missed my point about presence of fat for cellulite. It is a must. Please read my comment again.
Also, please read this.
Cellulite isn’t the result of excess fat.
It’s normal and healthy for women to store fat around the buttock and thigh area – cellulite isn’t the result of fat itself, but the skin fibres in the area splitting and the fat poking through (think of an old matress with the stuffing poking out) creating an orange peel effect. Men tend to have differently structured skin fibres which contain the fat better (plus they tend to store fat in a more evenly distributed way) which is why men don’t get cellulite. Your tendency towards cellulite is determened virtually completely according to your genes, and how strong or weak those containing skin fibres are. Skin fibres weaken with age as well, which explains why cellulite increases as we age.
It has nothing at all to do with the amount of calories you consume, and isn’t indicative of obesity (in fact, it’s not unknown for anorexics to have cellulite), or poor health in general.
So cellulite, whilst related to fat, isn’t really affected by how much fat you have. Unfortunately this means that if you have it, there’s precious little you can do about it.
i am not contesting the fact that cellulite is actually fat which is stored in the body..what im contesting is the assumption that this will occur only if you are obese which is untrue as most girls, after they hit puberty, do have cellulite and being obese is not one of the qualifiers for it.
i can post up opinions of so many health experts on this. you can google “thin women cellulite” and it willthrow up many results.
Some 90 percent of women have cellulite. Even thin and physically fit stars like Pamela Anderson, Jennifer Lopez, Britney Spears and Nicole Kidman have it.
“It actually can affect you whether you’re thin or you’re heavy,” said Jacqui Stafford, the style director at Shape magazine.
Ahh… agreed completely. 🙂
I was thinking that by ‘skinny’ you meant absence of fat. But I agree that one does not have to be ‘obese’ to have fat. But being a Math teacher I would still believe that more the fat (tending towards obesity) the more the probability of cellulite.
my husband did his masters in math too and talks in what i call “math-language” so i am used to agreeing to probabilities hehe 🙂
actually men can have cellulite and stretch marks 🙂 :toothygrin: but this is not common for them. stretch marks usually appear on their e.g. backs if they grew too fast in a short time. the other thing is of course, who looks ‘better’ with cellulite or stretch marks. certainly, they do. :struggle: