E.L.F. Studio Under Eye Concealer & Highlighter Duo in Glow/Medium Review
I am always on the lookout for good under eye concealers for my dark circles and came across E.L.F.’s under eye concealer and highlighter duo from its studio line.
E.L.F. describes this as a product that doesn’t just cover the dark circles and eye bags but also alleviates the skin around the eyes. According to E.L.F., this concealer/highlighter duo has Vitamins A&E along with chamomile, caffeine and green tea that help moisturize the skin, camouflage the under eye bags, minimize the appearance of dark circles and wrinkles and tightens the skin for a rejuvenated look. The highlighter side can also be used as an eyeshadow base.
I got this concealer/highlighter duo a while back and decided to use it for at least a few times before giving my take on it. This product comes in 3 shades: Fair/Glow, Light/Glow and Medium/Glow. I got mine in the darkest shade of the 3 – Medium/Glow. The “Glow” part is the highlighter and remains the same in all the 3 shades; only the shades of the concealer change.
Pros of the concealer:
• The concealer has a liquid consistency and is non-drying, which makes it really easy to blend. I like that no matter how much I layer the product, it still doesn’t look cakey at all.
• This product can work well for someone who doesn’t have prominent undereye circles and just needs something to brighten the undereye area. Since it’s quite creamy, it doesn’t settle into the fine lines and looks quite natural.
• Good for times when you don’t feel like applying a full coverage concealer and need just a little something to brighten the undereyes.
Pros of the highlighter:
• The highlighter does an okay job of brightening up the eye area. It might not be the best highlighter around but it does gives a nice iridescent glow to my browbone, tear ducts, cheekbones, bridge of the nose and cupid’s bow.
• A dot of the highlighter is enough to give an understated glow. A little product goes a long way so no need to apply too much as it could look patchy.
• The shimmer in the highlighter is not OTT and not particularly noticeable.
Pros of the product:
• The packaging is quite nice and looks much more expensive than it actually is. I actually like the packaging of almost all E.L.F. studio line products, so much better than the usual line. It also is great to keep in the purse without the fear of the product leaking inside.
• Both sides come with doe foot applicators and make the application so much easier. Just dabbing 3 dots under the eyes and then blending with the fingers does the trick. NO brushes needed!
• For a product that comes with both concealer and highlighter, I think the $3 price is quite fair.
Cons of the concealer
• The concealer is light to slightly medium coverage and is not effective on its own to cover my dark circles ☹. It can be used as a layering product or can be used in combination with other concealers but if you are looking for something to cover up even those horrible circles or blemishes, this will not work for you.
• The shade selection is really limited. The concealer only comes in 3 shades – 2 of which (Fair and Light) should not even be considered for Indian skin tones. Even the third shade that I have (Medium) isn’t completely right for my NC 35 skintone and is not a perfect match for olive skintones or yellow undertones.
• Even after setting the concealer with a pressed powder, it won’t stay on for more than a couple of hours and every 2-3 hours, you will need to reapply it and set with a powder.
Cons of the highlighter
• A large amount of highlighter can look very patchy and will not blend into the skin easily. It has a runnier consistency compared to the concealer so one has to be extra careful to not use too much.
• Even though I like the highlighter side better than the concealer, it might not appeal to someone looking for a more pronounced highlighter. This blends completely into the skin and just gives a pearly glow, nothing more than that.
• Not for someone who is looking for a matte highlighter.
• E.L.F. claims that the highlighter can work as an eyeshadow base. This aspect of doesn’t work for me. It neither makes the shadows pop nor does it help in not creasing.
Cons of the product
• Even though the packaging is polished, it is very difficult to get the entire product out with the doe foot applicator. Not sure how I will get out all the product. I will probably not end up using the concealer side as it doesn’t cover my dark circles at all but will use up the highlighter side. Either I will have to cut up the tube or use a brush to get into the corners and get the product out.
Rating: :-* :-* + 0.5 out of 5
I will not be repurchasing it as the concealer is totally ineffective on its own to cover my under eye circles. The highlighter is okay but nothing to write home about.
Also Read :
E.L.F Cosmetics Hits & Misses Part 2
E.L.f Concealer, Oriflame Concealers Review, Swatches
E.L.F. Eyebrow Stencil Kit Review
ELF Plumping Lip Glaze Plum Pout Review, Swatch, Photos
Oriflame Concealer: Part 1 Review, Swatches