We all know the importance of cleansing, toning and moisturizing in our daily beauty routine. But exfoliation, in my opinion, is the most important.
The average human generates a new layer of skin every two to four weeks. Exfoliation removes the outer layer or the dead skin cells to reveal the newer skin beneath. This shedding of the outer layer (exfoliation) helps to unclogs pores, keeps skin clean, and reduce acne breakouts.
Types of Exfoliation:
• Mechanical Exfoliation: As the name indicates mechanical exfoliation involves physical scrubbing of skin with an abrasive. Exfoliants include:
1. Crushed apricot kernel or almond shells
2. Sugar or salt crystals
6. Micro-bead facial scrubs
• Chemical Exfoliation: True to its name chemical exfoliation involves the use of mild acids to exfoliate skin. It is advised to get chemical exfoliation done from a professional. Exfoliating products generally contain:
1. Salicylic acid
2. Glycolic acid
3. Fruit enzymes
4. Citric acid
5. Alpha-hydroxy acids
6. Beta-hydroxy acids
How to Exfoliate:
• Wet the area of skin you want to exfoliate. Never use exfoliaters on dry skin.
• Apply an exfoliating cleanser to your skin.
• Use a scrubbing sponge, exfoliating gloves or a body loofah.
• Scrub the exfoliating cleanser, in circular motions, over your skin using your sponge or loofah.
• Be gentle over sensitive parts of the body.
• Rinse skin thoroughly.
• Apply a good moisturizer after toning your skin.
Some do’s and don’ts:
• Always apply moisturizer after exfoliating. Our skin becomes dry after exfoliation, and it may wrinkle if proper care is not taken.
• Don’t go overboard with exfoliation, especially in summers. You’re making it easier for your skin to be damaged by the sun.
• Never use body scrubs on the face. They’re too rough. Also, use a body scrub once or twice a week only.
• Body brushing is a gentle way to exfoliate your skin daily.
Few home made scrubs:
• Mix together one powdered almond with ½ teaspoon honey and ½ teaspoon lemon juice. Apply it on your face. Scrub your skin using circular motions. Wash your face as usual.
• Mash 2 strawberries and mix them with ½ teaspoon of brown sugar. Gently scrub your face with it to have a soft and glowing skin.
• Add ½ tbsp of sea salt to 1 tbsp of olive oil. Scrub your face with it. Wash it off with cold water.
• Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one tablespoon of your favorite face lotion or cleanser. Scrub your face with it. Wash it off with cold water.
• Take 2 tbsp each of rice flour, honey and milk. Add a few drops of patchouli oil in it. Mix them properly. Use this mixture to gently scrub your body.
• Mix together 2 tbsp of gram flour and moong dal. Add milk and rose water for binding. Use this mixture as a body scrub.
Which is you favourite exfoliation product?
The Body Shop Bath Gloves Review
Pears Face Wash with Exfoliating Beads Review
Himalaya Gentle Daily Exfoliating Face Wash Review
The Body Shop Passion Fruit Body Scrub Review
Chambor Beauty Sponges Review
Biotique Body Polisher Review
Bio Glow Scrub Review
AromaMagic Mineral Glow Scrub Review