Today, I will be reviewing a serum from NARS, which I have been using with its accompanying toner, since the last 6 weeks. NARS, revamped its entire line of skincare in 2012, and came up with this brilliant looking collection, consisting of 10 skincare products. It has the Gentle Cream Cleanser, Purifying Foam Cleanser, Multi Action Hydrating Toner, Double Refining Exfoliator, Optimal Brightening Concentrate, Aqua Gel Luminous Mask, Total Replenishing Eye Cream, Luminous Moisture Cream, Aqua Gel Luminous Oil Free Moisturizer, and Restorative Night Treatment.
As you can deduce from the names, this collection has something for both dry and oily skin types. All of these are grouped under the brand NARS SKIN, have a similar pure white packaging, and are based on the NARS’ exclusive Light Reflecting Complex. Optimal Brightening Concentrate is the serum from the NARS SKIN range.
• An intensive brightening serum that provides optimal light reflection and enhanced luminosity.
• Suffering from hyper-pigmentation? Dull skin? In need of energizing cell activity? Infused with NARS exclusive Light Reflecting Complex ™, wild thyme, and plankton extract, this advanced radiance boosting concentrate brightens the complexion and reduces the appearance of dark spots for a brighter, healthier-looking, more-even appearance.
• Optimal Brightening Concentrate revives skin on contact and over the long term. It fades dark spots and discoloration over time for a more radiant complexion. With an even, toned, and bright complexion, makeup glows, and lasts longer, allowing for better foundation finish and improved overall makeup look. Ideal for all skin types, this product is dermatologist-tested; non-comedogenic; and free of synthetic fragrance, parabens, and alcohol.
• Encapsulated noni fruit extract revitalizes the skin, helping it perform at optimal level. Fortified with yeast polysaccharides, proven to aid with discoloration, Optimal Brightening Concentrate awakens the skin and illuminates the complexion. Multi-Action Vitamin C brightens and clarifies as it reduces the production of tyrosine, helping prevent the appearance of hyper-pigmentation. The appearance of dark spots fade from view as a bright, luminous, clear, and even appearance emerges.
• Wild thyme extract is known for its antioxidant protection properties. To achieve luminous skin, it is vital to protect the skin against harsh free-radical damage. Free radicals are highly reactive chemicals produced by UVA and UVB rays, pollution, sun, and smoking that have the ability to damage the structure of all living cells, leading to premature aging. Topical antioxidants help the skin to protect itself against these harmful chemicals. Plankton extract is known for its cell metabolism benefits. To achieve luminous skin, it is also vital to boost cell energy, so skin cells are always performing at their optimal level.
Price: 74USD for 30ml product.
My Experience With NARS Skin Optimal Brightening Concentrate:
Look at the price of this product first. I do agree that a high end brand comes at a price, and should be treated accordingly; but 74 USD is a bit too crazy high. I still do not mind it, especially if the results are going to be exceptional.
Packaging: It comes in a pure white (almost marble-stone like) box packaging on which all the details are mentioned. Inside, the box houses a frosted glass like plastic, square bottle with a white cap. The entire packaging looks extremely chic and clean. The cap has to be pulled open; it has a black twist nozzle, for a pump like packaging.
Fragrance: This product is free of any synthetic fragrance; but not of any fragrance at all. It has a beautiful citrusy fragrance, which smells very fresh and natural. It is an absolute delight, especially in these warm summer months.
Consistency: This product has a stable form of Vitamin C, which is good; and the packaging ensures that the ingredients do not get degraded. It has a smooth creamy consistency, which immediately sinks into the skin and does not leave any cast. It has small glittery particles in it, which I could personally do without. The glitter is very minute, does not make its presence felt during application, but can definitely be seen on the skin, post application. Presence of Vitamin C makes the use of a good sunscreen absolutely essential, especially if you wish to see the dark spots, sun spots or age related spots fading.
Results: After using this serum for 6 weeks, I am happy with it, though not highly impressed considering its price. My skin has become softer, smoother and clearer over the past 6 weeks. It has reduced the dryness in my skin and made my skin very healthy and plumped up. It does not make my skin oily or sticky, hence is equally good for all skin types. It provides a nice smooth surface on the skin, maybe due to presence of silicones in it. So, it can also be used as a makeup base for evening party purposes.
1-2 pumps are adequate for face and neck area; so this bottle is going to last me quite some time, with twice, sometimes thrice a day application. The results are not astounding, but they are good. But I could have seriously done without those glitter particles, even if they are not very obvious.
Pros Of NARS Skin Optimal Brightening Concentrate:
• Chic, sturdy packaging.
• Natural, citrusy fragrance.
• 1-2 pumps are enough for face and neck area.
• Makes skin softy, smooth and clear.
• Has definitely faded the age related spots I had.
• Can be used as a makeup base too.
• Contains stable form of Vitamin C.
• Free from synthetic fragrances, alcohol, parabens and oils.
• Suitable for all skin types.
• Will last a long time, with 1-2 pumps, twice a day application.
Cons Of NARS Skin Optimal Brightening Concentrate:
• Very expensive.
• Contains minute glitter particles, which do not harm the skin, but I could have done without it.
• Contains Silicones.
IMBB Rating: 4.2/5
Will I Repurchase NARS Skin Optimal Brightening Concentrate?
Ummm, no I guess. It is good, but not fantastic in any special way. For the price, I guess there are many more available.
NARS Skin Multi-Action Hydrating Toner Review
NARS Orgasm Illuminator
NARS Liquid Illuminator in Copacabana
NARS Sheer Matte Foundation
NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation
NARS Taj Mahal Blush
L’Occitane Immortelle Brightening Moisture Cream Review
Kiehl’s Clearly Corrective White Skin Brightening Exfoliator Review
Chambor White Brightening Moisturizing Cream Review
Aromamagic Brightening Beauty Pack
Olay White Radiance Intensive Brightening Serum
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate Review
Kiehl’s Powerful Strength Line Reducing Concentrate Review
Oriflame Even Out Dark Spot Fading Concentrate & Cream
Aroma Magic Skin Lightening Concentrate Solution
L’oreal Youth Code Rejuvenating Anti-Wrinkle Concentrate
Clinique Turnaround Concentrate Visible Skin Renewer
L’occitane Almond Apple Velvet Concentrate