This post is all about the one skincare ritual that most of us consider very basic—moisturizing the face. All of us know that our facial skin is very delicate and that it needs to be replenished and restored regularly with use of a moisturizer, serum, facial oil, cream, etc. However, not many of us are familiar with the correct ways in which one should use moisturizer to hydrate the facial skin. We also tend to make some very common mistakes when it comes to moisturizing the face, without even realizing it. Therefore, I have compiled a list of things that we should also familiarize ourselves with, when it comes to moisturizing the face. Let’s take a look at some of things that we need to know about moisturizing the face correctly and effectively.
1. Pick a moisturizer based on your skin concern: Remember that all skin types need moisturizer. When it comes to moisturizing your face, always look for something that specifically addresses your skin concern (depending on where it lies on the very dry to very oily spectrum).
2. Always patch test a new moisturizer: It’s best to begin with a sample size if you’re trying out a new moisturizer. Your skin will respond to different products differently, so make sure to do a patch test before investing in a full sized product.
3. Know the difference between a lotion and a cream: Moisturizing lotions are water-based and moisturizing creams are oil-based. Take your pick depending on your preferences and skin concerns.
4. Never moisturize without first cleansing: To prevent acne and other skin concerns, always remember to cleanse before your moisturize. This will prevent the dirt and bacteria from getting trapped into your pores along with the moisturizer.
5. Moisturizers with SPF don’t offer sufficient sun protection: Even if your moisturizer or day cream contains SPF, it does not mean that it offers broad-spectrum UV protection. You will need to layer a sunscreen on top of the moisturizer for adequate protection against sun damage.
6. Your skin needs hydration round the year: Your skin can be just as prone to dryness in the summer as in the winter. Don’t confuse the warm temperatures with the lack of dryness. Your skin needs moisturizer every single day, all year round.
7. Apply your moisturizer on damp skin: It’s best to apply moisturizer to your skin right after cleansing it, while it is still damp. This helps seal in the moisture and keeps your skin soft and supple.
8. Choose a non-comedogenic moisturizer for acne-prone skin: If you have acne-prone skin, one of the most important things for you to do is to look out for the ‘non-comedogenic’ label on your moisturizer. This will ensure that the moisturizer does not clog your pores and lets it breathe.
9. Oily skin also always needs moisturizer: Don’t be under the impression that oily skin can skip moisturizer. In fact, oily skin needs moisturizer just as much as dry skin. This will replenish the skin and prevent it from secreting excess oils to overcompensate for the moisture lost in cleansing.
10. Go for a fragrance-free moisturizer for sensitive skin: It’s fairly common for moisturizers to be infused with fragrance. However, if you have sensitive skin that easily reacts to skincare products, then it’s best to opt for a fragrance-free moisturizer.
11. Always apply your moisturizer in lifting, circular motions: To keep your skin youthful and firm, make sure never to drag your facial skin downwards while applying moisturizer. Lifting, upward and circular motions are ideal.
Best Moisturizer For Dry Skin
Tips for Toning and Moisturizing
Lotus Herbals Cocomoist Cocoa Butter Moisturizing Lotion
Sebamed Moisturizing Cream
7 Amazing Ways To Use Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream in Your Beauty Regimen