ULTA Lip gloss review
There are lip balm girls, there are lipstick girls, there are lip gloss girls and then there is me! I love all lip products and collect balms, lipsticks and glosses a lot more than eye makeup. The reason is simple. Eye makeup is a lot tougher to do and takes lots of time and practice to perfect. With lip products, you can hardly go wrong! With a little practice you can colour lips perfectly in a darkened room or rushing into a meeting without breaking your step. I am reminded of this friend of my mothers who used to go on evening walks with her. One day, they stopped at a pani puri stall and feasted on them. (Oh, how I miss the Mumbai pani puri!!! Delhi gol gappa’s are good, but I still miss the ragda filled pani puri of Mumbai) Anyway, coming back to the incident. As expected, her lipstick vanished after eating it. After they resumed the walk, she asked mum if her lipstick was still there. Mum said no. She pulled out her lipstick from her purse and applied it. On the road, walking, without a mirror. When she was done, she turned to mum and asked her if it was ok. Mum was a bit surprised. The application was perfect. Not a spot out of place. I doubt anyone can so that with eye shadow or eye liner. If anyone can, do let me know. I want to bow down to her.
So, I recently began to expand my lip collection. Will talk about that some other time. But, I also looked at my existing arsenal and found these little gems.
Ladies, meet the ULTA lip glosses in Ribbon Red and Mischief.
Mischief is a brown with red undertones and multi coloured shimmer particles.
Ribbon Red, as the name says is red with gold shimmer. It is not a true red however. It veers toward maroon.
Swatches without flash. Ribbon Red (L) and Mischief (R)
Swatches with flash. Ribbon Red (L) and Mischief (R)
The Good –
1. The glosses are very well pigmented and can be used on their own. I have never worn them over a lipstick so I have no idea how they behave with them. But looking at the pigmentation, the lip colour would hardly show.
2. The shimmer is very fine and does not fall off. Nor does it transfer to Kuhu’s cheeks when I kiss her. Hey hang on; did you take that to mean the product does not transfer? It does, just like a normal lipstick, but the shimmer does not stick on to her like many other products.
3. The gloss is very sticky. If you look at the open tub, you will realize that the consistency is very think, almost balm like. It is not creamy like a balm though. It feels like a sticky molten lipstick. And that ladies, is the reason for its longevity. If I do not eat or drink anything, this gloss lasts me for almost 5 hours. It fades, sure. But the colour and shine are there.
4. The transparent packaging makes it very easy to locate the shades in my vanity. The packaging is sturdy and can be carried in your bag easily without the fear of breaking or opening.
The Bad –
1. Eating or drinking while you have this on creates a white layer on the lip. I have noticed this with a lot of balms and lipsticks and still do not know how to combat it. I have to wipe and reapply. When I wipe, a clear tint is left behind on the lips. This disappears only with a makeup remover.
2. The gloss does not come off with water or face wash. This is a con in my book because I prefer to wash my makeup off instead of wiping it with a remover.
3. Hygiene. The standard issue with any product in a tub.
4. ULTA is not available in India. I have used quite a few products from their gift set (a 157 piece delight!) and found the quality to be quite good. I wish they would launch in India.
The Ugly –
1. You just cannot apply this without a brush. I have tried my finger (sanitized, of course) and found it too sticky to be used that way. A lot of product sticks to the fingers and needs to be wiped with a makeup remover. With a Q-tip, I get very little colour payoff. Although the brush offers a good even application, it is a pain to carry everywhere and do touch ups.
2. No ingredient list on the case. This was part of a gift set so all it says on the packaging is the name of the product, the shade and where it was manufactured. Not even the expiry date!
Overall, I found this a decent gloss. Not something I reach for very often though. It is good for times I need instant glam. Mischief looks super nice on me but ribbon red does not. Maroon reds look horrible on me so I cheat with it. I use it as a cream blush . The shimmer is not over the top and the one time I wore it for the evening out, I had a nice blush of colour throughout.
Oriflame Lip Gloss Berries
L’oreal Glam Shine Reflex Lip Gloss
L’oreal Glam Shine Lip Gloss Moon Crystal
Estee Lauder Michael Kors Lip Gloss
Colorbar Star Metal Lip Gloss
Lakme Lip Gloss
ColorBar Star Shine Lip Gloss Pink Kiss
Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Gloss