For someone with severe dry lips like mine, lip balm is an absolute necessity… I need to exfoliate and hydrate my lips at least twice a day else they start to look and feel like sandpaper! And this happens even in the humid Mumbai weather. So you can imagine what the dry summers and harsh winters of Delhi do to my lips… they are perennially chapped!!! So lip balms are my constant companions. I stuck to the Vaseline tube for years…. It worked all right in the college days but by the time I started working, I was bored of it. Then, dad got me a dermalogica stick. That was definitely a better product and lasted me forever. Again, I stuck to this one for a while. The problem with this was the formation of a sticky white residue over my lips. That meant having to wipe, wash and re-apply after a couple of hours.
A random visit to the market led me to a cosmetic shop. I was actually looking for scrubs when the irritating SA tried to sell me all sorts of skin care products from Jovees. Now Jovees is not a very popular brand but I had tried out a hair pack from them about a year back and was quite happy with it. So, I listened to the SA. At the end of it, I picked up an anti tan face pack. Then, my eyes fell on a solitary tub of Jovees lip balm at the counter. The pretty pink colour of Jovees kind of called out to me coz both Vaseline and Dermalogica were colourless balms. Here, check out the lovely shade.
This was a lavender flavored one and I was intrigued. Most beauty blogs mentioned strawberry, cherry or mint, maybe chocolate flavored Jovees balms… I had never come across a lavender flavored one. I asked the SA if this was tinted. She told me it was lightly tinted and would impart a soft pink colour. It was cheap too! I bought it for Rs 65 (this was in May and am not sure of the current price. Being cooped up at home with a baby hampers field research! I checked online though and Jovees lip balm is available for Rs 80) and the tub contains 5gms of product. The tub is pretty tiny and easy to carry even in your pockets.
I have thrown away the packaging and there is absolutely nothing written on the tub except for Jovees on the cap. However, I found this info online.
JOVEES Lip Balm offers complete Lip Care with a specially developed formula that contains pure almond and olive extracts along with natural Vitamin A, B, C And E. This unique formula soothes and conditions the delicate lip area, restores moisture and brings shine and happiness. An excellent recipe for dull, dry and chapped lips.
Ingredients: Wheat Germ, Almond , Olive, Jojoba, Lavender.
I have used this since then and made a tiny dent in the tub. It is not too greasy and there was no white residue (happy happy me) and it served me well in the summer. However, it still has to be tested in the winters. Here are the Good, the Bad and the Ugly for this lip balm -
• Light weight and non greasy. Gets absorbed quite well and leaves my lip hydrated and smooth
• Loses the balmy shine very soon leaving the lip looking quite natural
• It has no taste
• There is no plumping action. My lower lip is quite plump already and lip balms will plumping action will make it look bee stung!
• Lasts me about 2-3 hours with mild eating and drinking. I don’t expect too much from my balms because the dryness starts to catch up after a while
• Easy to carry around and the snug cap will ensure there is no spillage or contamination
• Not expensive at all
• There is no colour payoff at all!!! It was sold to me as a tinted balm but it does not add any pink colour to my skin. Although, this is more of the SA’s fault than the product’s.
• Hygiene is a big issue with tub based packaging. I always end up with balm underneath my long fingernails… eww kinda feeling
• There is no info on the actual tub. Ingredients, date of manufacture and expiry or even the flavor. Do they really expect us to preserve the paper packaging??? Unlike the website where you see a box, mine was packaged in a transparent plastic casing stuck to think paper
• Does not soothe the chapped area on lips unlike vaseline
• For a lavender lip balm, it smells like Nilgiri ka tel (Eucalyptus Oil) added to a herbal concoction. I don’t mind Nilgiri ka smell because it reminds me of Mehndi but I don’t want to smell that in my lip balm! Especially not one that claims to be a floral one.
Will I repurchase? Nope, I don’t think so. Even though it delivers on hydration, it fails miserably on colour (Check out the pic of just applied balm) and fragrance – two very important things. Let’s face it, If I were looking only for hydration, I’d have slathered ghee or malai on my lips… right?
I was tempted to try the lemon flavoured balm in hopes of it being better, but not anymore. Discovering Nivea fruitshine drove lemon out of my mind!!! Craving the pomegranate one now. Another unheard lip balm flavor!
If you've used this product, rate it in the box above and write the review below!
Indian women are talking about:
- jovees lip balm
- jovees lip balm lavender review