7 Ways To Highlight The Best Features Of Dark Skin
I think not enough importance is given to the fact that there are literally so many different shades of skin in this world, each uniquely lovely in its own way – so when you read makeup tips in most glossies, they seem focused mostly on the non-Indian, fair skinned variety. This makes it difficult for us to relate to, hence why most of us end up coming here!!
1. Yellow tones: When it comes to foundation, there are different undertones – there are green tones, purple tones and yellow tones depending on skin depth and colour. Yellow-toned foundations always look best on dark skin. Instead of making you look unnaturally pale or some shades lighter, yellow toned foundations blend into your skin, ensuring that your skin looks clear and glowing and that no difference is seen between the foundation and your skin.
2. Get the glam up: Shimmery and metallic eyeshadows look mesmerizing on dark skinned women. They can brighten up the face and colours like navy blue, purple and gold can really take the glam factor up by a few notches!
3. Lip colours: Burgundy is a beautiful colour to use on your lips. In general, pinks and darkish pinks look lovely, no matter what the occasion. It can really brighten up your face and can be carried off very well.
4. Black or Brown Eyes: Accentuate your most expressive feature: your eyes! Dark black kohl or eyeliner or dark brown eyeliner looks absolutely gorgeous with this type of skin and can really make you look more graceful and expressive. Try different styles like winged eyeliner, or a cat-eye and make those eyes smoulder.
5. Cheekbone Shine: The best way to highlight cheekbones would be to use a blush with some shimmer in it. If you would rather use bronzer, swipe a small amount onto your cheekbones (not the apples of your cheeks, that seldom helps with contouring properly) and be set to shine. This would accentuate the best parts of your face and add a little extra to your look.
6. No Light Colours: Stay away from very light colours like baby pink, white, lilac and others and focus on brighter, warmer tones when it comes to choosing makeup colours. This is because very light makeup can cause your skin to look chalky and unnaturally pale, which is definitely not something anyone would want.
7. Earthy Beauty: When it comes to lip colours, elegant maroons and browns look stunning. Choose from shades that remind you of fall, of metallic and of sheer luxury – think dark browns, coffee shades, reds, metallics, raisin reds, and so on. Make sure to choose a lip liner in a colour close to the shade you are going for and you are all set!
I hope these tips help you build your own set of tips and tricks to make yourself stand out and wear the most beautiful colours for your skin tone when it comes to lips, nails and skin!
Image Source: 1
7 Ways to style a Red Jeans
7 Ways To Save and Splurge On The Right Beauty Buys
7 Ways to Rock Matte Lips This Winter
7 Ways To Use Vitamin E Capsules
7 Different Ways to Drape Lehenga Dupatta
7 Ways To Wear Ruffle Scarf
How to Highlight Your Face – Photo Tutorial
Kryolan Kajal in Highlight
Basic Blush and Highlight Application Tips
Best Hairstyles For College Going Girls
Best Eyelash Curlers Available in India
Best Body Scrubs Available in India
Kareena Kapoor’s Best Hairstyles
Makeup for Dark Skin
Lip Colors Which Do NOT Suit Dark Skin
LUSH Dark Angels Skin Cleanser
Dark Chocolate Honey Face Pack For Oily Skin – DIY
16 thoughts on “7 Ways To Highlight The Best Features Of Dark Skin”
Exactly what I needed!! *woot*
I would also like to add that if dark skin girls use under eye concealer, it can make a huge dramatic difference.
awesome post nandini *puchhi* … n i always go for a dark lip shade and it instantly brighten my face as you have mentioned… *happy dance* *happy dance*
*happydance* *happydance* Love the tip!
and as always, great post! *pompom* *pompom*
Thanks Aditi! Btw great going with your blog 🙂 am also in the process of starting one soon!
lovely post *clap*
Brilliant post nandini.. *clap* So lucky they are to use any shade of pinks reds and almost every gorgoeus color.. *haan ji* I am mailing this link to all my sisters am sure they gonna love it!! *thankyou*
This is like the best article ever! I am like a person who is so secure abt my skin tone! And this article only gives me more tips to enhance my skin tone 🙂 this is the reason why IMBB people dont go anywhere. You guys just knw everything :* kudos! *preen* *thankyou*
Thanks Rashmi!!! Am so glad you found it useful *puchhi* *puchhi*
What an article *thankyou* Nandini.. I have oily skin so cant use shimmery highlighters *cry* coz they make me look more oily, any tips you can share?? *specs* would love to use them *happy dance*
Most welcome Nazeema 🙂 🙂 I think some loose powder and a good primer for your face would help take care of any excess oil. Use blotting wipes too, they’re good for instant touchup. I have an oily T-zone so I always carry some with me 🙂 and a base would keep your shimmer in place – or you can use a product that already has shimmers in it. Hope this helps!
Oh also, I heard that water-based products are much better for oily skin 🙂
Nandini.. Very well written and very useful. I really liked all the points! Loved it 🙂
Love the tips Nandini!
And yes, wine, plum and burgundy lip colors look really good, especially now that fall is coming!
And MAC Ruby Woo is my favourite red!
Thanks Triya 🙂 I still haven’t tried any MAC products *waiting* *waiting* *waiting* I think it’s high time I did, I’ve only heard praises for Ruby woo! I wish they’d also get Rihanna’s new MAC collection here, would be so awesome!
Loved the tips!