Summer is the season I look forward to the most despite the sweltering heat, sweat, and sun. Almost all celebratory events in my life are spaced over these summer months, but this is also the time when I have to unwilling opt for a sunscreen.
I am not gung-ho about using sunscreens because of the following reasons:
- I always breakout when I use a sunscreen.
- Since I have oily skin, almost all sunscreens leave my face greasy and dull. I have also used the medicated ones like Sunban-50 and that too left my face sticky.
- Sunscreens always require re-application and they have a time-frame in which they will work and somewhere at the back of my mind, there is a countdown going on.
Usually, throughout the year, I make do with creams, lotions, moisturizers, and foundations that contain sun protection factor and I do not feel any pressing need to apply an exclusive sunscreen for protection against harmful rays of sun. But during the months of March, April, May, and June, relying and sticking to SPF-containing lotions and creams won’t suffice. As far as sunscreens are concerned, they have a catch-22 situation in my life. Since the pros of using a sunscreen outweighs the cons, I opt for sunscreens with a pessimistic attitude. It is with this same pessimistic attitude that I bought the Biotique Red Sandal Wood Lotion with SPF-50. I bought this lotion keeping in mind the SPF-50 factor and nothing else.
READ THESE FOR WEIGHT LOSS: Diet Chart for Weight Loss | How to Lose Weight With PCOS | 10 Best Herbal Pills for Weight Loss | 10 Best Tricks for Lazy People to Lose Weight | Best Diet for PCOS to Lose Weight
What does Biotique Red Sandal Wood Lotion claim
Ancient sages have used sandal wood to protect and heal the skin. It is an excellent combination of sandalwood along with saffron, wheatgerm, honey, and bark of the arjun tree. It protects skin from the harmful effects of the sun. Can use as base makeup also.
READ THESE FOR GLOWING SKIN: 9 Best Face Packs For Glowing Skin | 10 Tips by Shahnaz Husain for Glowing Skin | Home Remedies For Glowing Skin | 7 Besan Face Packs for Glowing Skin | Beauty Products For Glowing Skin
Santalum album oil (chandal tail) 0.25%, Withania somnifetra (ashwagandha) extract 2%, mesua ferrea extract 1% (nagkesr kwath), Triticum vulgare (Ankurit Gehun Satva) 3%, Honey (Madhu) 1%, Pterocarpus Santalinus Extract (Raktchandan Kwath) 1%, Symplocos Racemosa extract (Lodhra Chhal Kwath) 1%, Terminalia Arjuna (Arjun Chhal Kwath) extract 2%, lotion base QS. This is not a cosmetic production. It has therapeutic properties.
HOW TO USE Biotique Red Sandal Wood Lotion:
Use every morning after moisturizing. Apply appropriate amount on the face and neck.
BEST OF IMBB: How To Make Vitamin C Serum At Home | 7 Best Pigmentation Creams in India | 8 Natural Products to Add Volume to Thin, Fine Hair | 8 Ways to Tighten Sagging Breasts | How to Remove Pimple Marks from Face | Top 10 Shampoos for Dry and Rough Hair | 8 Best Drugstore Foundations That Do Not Oxidize
PRICE: Rs. 200 for 120 ml. If bought from a CSD canteen, it costs around Rs. 142.
- Biotique Red Sandal Wood Lotion is of milk-cream consistency with a very slight yellowish tinge to it. The smell is very typical of Ayurvedic medicines, but not very strong or acrid; the fragrance is very pleasant and lingering. The label says to moisturize and then apply the lotion, but I skipped the moisturizing part and directly applied the lotion and dabbed on some compact over it, and I felt and looked quite fresh.
- After spending a few hours outdoors (not directly under the sun), I did not feel any heaviness associated usually with sunscreens. Biotique Red Sandal Wood Lotion felt quite light on my face and even after coming home, my face did not have the worn-out look. I was happy, but then I was waiting for the zits to appear. To my surprise, I never broke out, but rather my skin felt quite supple and developed a healthy glow within one week of using this sunscreen.
- Well girls, there is something else that would make you jealous of me, I got this bottle of sunscreen for around Rs. 142…or was it Rs. 149, from the CSD canteen, whereas the retail price is Rs. 200 (that’s the benefit of being a defence man’s daughter 🙂
- If you ask me what I do not like about this one, the label is very unassuming, it only describes itself as a “sun protective lotion with natural minerals,” but it did nourish my skin.
- I am absolutely in love with this sunscreen and I would continue using it throughout the year. Actually, it’s a steal coz you can wear it as a base for makeup and it keeps the face moisturized. It is also quite lightweight and imparts a healthy glow to the skin.
SOME FACTS ABOUT SUN PROTECTION:
Best of IMBB: Best Hair Serums for Dry Frizzy Hair | Homemade Hair Regrowth Oil to Prevent Hair Loss | How To Lose Fat From Face in 30 Days | Homemade Face Pack for Instantly Bright and Glowing Skin | 10 Products To Get Rid of Skin Pigmentation | 7 Ways To Make Black Lips Pink!
- Remember that the sun is at its fiercest from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Try to avoid the sun during those hours.
- SPF on sun blocks indicates the extension of minutes a person can stay in the sun without burning. For example, an average person can stay in the sun for 15 minutes without burning. So SPF 15 indicates that a person can stay in the sun 15 X 15 = 225 minutes without burning. This measurement varies with individuals. If you can only stay in the sun for 10 minutes without burning, then a SPF15 sun block will only allow you to stay in the sun for 15 X 10 = 150 minutes without showing symptoms of sun burn and skin irritation.
- SPF measurements also tell us about the percentage of UVB rays that we are shielded from. This percentage equals (SPF – 1)/(SPF). For example, for a SPF 15, the percentage of UVB rays that we are shielded from would be 14/15 = 93.33%. For a SPF to reach its maximum protection, each individual must make sure to apply about 2 milligrams of sun block per 1 cm^2 (centimeter squared) area of skin. Thus, the higher the SPF, the greater the coverage and protection. One important thing to note, however, is that although higher SPF offers higher and longer protection for our skin against harmful UVB rays, they also contain more chemicals which may be more stressful for our skin to handle. This in turn, may cause skin irritation and acne. (courtesy: www.hubpages.com).
- Everyday use of sun lotions on your face and back of the hands will limit the chances of developing dry leathery skin, wrinkles, mottling and other signs of premature aging and skin cancer.
- Wear sunglasses with UV protection.
- Use a “broad spectrum” sunscreen with a sun protection factor of at least 15 to protect against harmful UVA and UVB rays.
- Harmful UV rays from the sun can cause skin cancer. Tinting your car can block 99% of these damaging rays.
- You should continue to apply sunscreen throughout the year, even on a cloudy day since the rays are abound even on such days.
- Most importantly, sunscreens should be applied 20 to 30 minutes before stepping out in the sun because they need time to get completely absorbed.
Thank you, Jomol- Rati. 🙂
BEST OF FAIRNESS: 10 Best Skin Whitening Creams in India | 7 Homemade Face Packs for Instant Glow and Fairness | 6 Best Herbal Fairness Creams | 10 Best Fairness Packs in the Market | 7 Best Pigmentation Creams in India
PS: You may rate the articles now. Just click on the stars below every post and there you go. 🙂
SOLUTIONS FOR ACNE: 5 Remedies to Treat Acne at Home | Top 10 Creams for Fading Acne Scars | 10 Home Remedies to Treat Scalp Acne | 8 Home Remedies to Reduce Acne Scars | 10 Tea Tree Oil Products for Acne-Prone and Sensitive Skin | Home Remedies to Treat Hormonal Acne