Current Price: Rs 695. It was priced at Rs 995 earlier according to the website.
Quantity: 30 ml (I.0 UD FL OZ)
Suitable for: Blemished skin
From TBS India website: This lightweight soothing gel crème sinks into the skin to help improve the appearance of blemish-damaged skin and equalize oiliness and replenish moisture while you sleep.
Instructions for use: Smooth over face and neck before bedtime. Regular nightly use helps minimize the appearance of post-blemish marks and discoloration. Infused with tamanu oil.
Ingredient list: Community Trade organic tea tree oil from Kenya – an ingredient renowned for its anti-bacterial benefits, an infusion perfect to help blemished skin. The complete ingredient list is given on the packaging. You need to peel off the cover where indicated for the list of ingredients.
A little information about Tea tree oil
Latin Name: Melaleuca alternifolia
Other Names: Melaleuca oil, Australian tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is an essential oil obtained by steam distillation of the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, a plant native to Australia. Historically, the leaves were used as a substitute for tea, which is how tea tree oil got its name. The part used medicinally is the oil from the leaves.
Tea tree oil contains constituents called terpenoids, which have been found to have antiseptic and antifungal activity. The compound terpinen-4-ol is the most abundant and is thought to be responsible for most of tea tree oil’s antimicrobial activity.
Tea tree oil is used to treat the following:
• Skin conditions : acne, eczema, psoriasis , boils
• Hair conditions: Dandruff, Head lice
• Athlete’s foot
• Periodontal disease
• As an antiseptic
• Head Lice
• Yeast infection
• Cold and flu
Tea tree oil is most commonly found as a pure essential oil. It is also an ingredient in creams, ointments, lotions, soaps, and shampoos.
Tea tree oil should not be confused with Chinese tea oil, cajeput oil, kanuka oil, manuka oil, ti tree oil, and niauouli oil.
• Pregnant or nursing women should avoid tea tree oil.
• Undiluted tea tree oil may cause skin irritation, redness, blistering, and itching.
• Occasionally, people may have allergic reactions to tea tree oil, ranging from mild contact dermatitis to severe blisters and rashes.
• Tea tree oil should not be taken internally, even in small quantities. It can cause impaired immune function, diarrhea, and potentially fatal central nervous system depression (excessive drowsiness, sleepiness, confusion, and coma).
My experience with the product: I picked this up along with the day cream (already reviewed on IMBB) from the same range and the products in conjunction helped control the oiliness of my skin and in getting rid of some stubborn pimples. The product is exactly as described by the website and thus lives up to its claims.
The lightweight lotion is housed in a green colored pump bottle with a tight cover that is travel friendly and convenient to use. The consistency is that of a light lotion that sinks into the skin in a few seconds without any greasiness and leaves the skin feeling soft, supple and hydrated. The lotion itself is cream colored and has a tea tree oil smell (Sorry, I finished the bottle and don’t have swatches of the product). It causes mild stinging sensation like all tea tree products.
It doesn’t help in clearing marks completely nor does it prevent the occurrence of pimples entirely but it controls it to quite an extent.
PROs of The Body Shop Tea Tree Blemish Fade Night Lotion
1. It is moisturizing and gives just the right hydration to the skin- neither too light, nor too heavy.
2. It makes skin soft and smooth. When I wake up in the morning, my skin feels supple and brighter.
3. Works on pimples and acne. In my first application itself, I woke up in the morning to find the smaller pimples dried out. But it takes time on bigger stubborn pimples. I cannot say how it will work for people with a lot of acne. I have 1-2 stubborn pimples and some tiny ones and its working.
4. Controls oiliness. My face is no longer as oily as it used to be when in the morning.
5. My pores seem a little smaller. It could also be due to the day cream or combined effect of both day cream and night lotion
6. Packaging: comes in a pump bottle, so hygienic and convenient to use. The cover is quite tight and travel friendly unlike Lotus products covers that keep falling off.
7. One pump is enough for the entire face and neck. A little goes a long way. I used it for 2.5 months every night and after that only when I had a breakout.
8. Helps in lightening marks but doesn’t get rid of them completely.
9. Sinks in fast without the greasiness of a night cream
10. Fragrance: smells like tea tree oil. Those not familiar with the smell, it is something similar to eucalyptus smell. I like the smell though some people may not. But most acne clearing tea tree oil containing products have this smell.
11. Does not contain parabens.
12. TBS does not test on animals.
CONs of The Body Shop Tea Tree Blemish Fade Night Lotion
1. It is expensive. But since only 1 pump of product is required, it will last 2.5-3 months.
2. Does not clear heavy acne or blemishes completely.
3. Those who don’t like tea tree oil smell might not like it.
4. Causes mild stinging due to presence of tea tree oil. Might not suit some people.
Final Verdict: It is light night lotion packaged in a convenient travel friendly pump bottle. The lotion is lightweight and sinks into the skin quickly giving soft, supple skin in the morning. It works well on smaller pimples but takes longer for stubborn pimples. Doesn’t clear out acne completely but improves overall texture of the skin. It might not work on people with very severe acne but for mild acne and blemishes and oily skin, this is a good product. Due to presence of tea tree oil, the fragrance and mild stinging might not suit some people.
A little goes a long way and I’ve already finished my bottle and thinking of repurchasing even though it is expensive. Combined with the day cream, it helped me in controlling the oiliness and breakouts on my skin and in lightening acne marks.
Rating: 4/5 (for cons listed above)
The Body Shop Banana Shampoo
The Body Shop – Vitamin E Moisture Lotion SPF 15
The Fab India TEA TREE Face Wash
The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing
Oriflame Tea Tree Purifying Wash and Tone Gel
The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Face Wash
The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Lotion