REVIEW : INSTYLER – The rotating Iron.
Hey girlies having a great week??? Me too. summers are sneaking up here and So just hoping that the infamous & unwanted acne doesnt show up. hehehe
Don’t you like the feeling when after a haircut the stylist uses his round brush and a blow dryer to set your hair to the perfect style? I love the warm feeling and the shine after a nice blow dry.
The product That I am going to review today is a mechanised version of the above mentioned tools. A hot brush and a metal roller in one device. Sounds perfect isnt it? Sounded great to me when I saw this commercial:
Great promo right? The company has made such nice promotional claims that a person feels that the flat-irons will be extinct now.
So psyched as we are me and my hubby went to TARGET to get a few things and he happened to see this on the shelf. And he decided to surprise me by getting then while all the time cleverly keeping me away from the shopping-cart.
- Uses a rotating heat cylinder with a brush and uses less heat than a regular flat iron.
- It can straighten, curl, add volume, lift and shine.
- Will not burn your hair.
- Rapid heat upgrade allows you to heat up your Instyler in 3 minutes or less.
- Flat irons while polishing and curling your hair in seconds.
- It can also be used to both dry and style damp hair at the same time.
- There’s 3 different heat settings for different hair textures.
The next day we were going to visit a boat show so I wanted to try the instyler and look all polished 😉 So I properly deep contioned my hair and applied My CHI heat protectant which the stylist had suggested when I cut my hair (review coming soon). The instruction leaflet said the hair should be almost dry so I air dried my hair and we saw the very well shot promotional DVD and voila- time to straighten 😀
I properly sectioned my hair with my poor hubby helping me out with the back ones- nasty me didnt let him play his video games.. heeeee heee heee *evil chuckle*. And we started… the first few sections went very well and we were really impressed. It straightened hair in a natural way and removed a great deal of frizz and we also tweaked it a bit so that my hair took a little outward turn at the ends… everything was going smooth until it touched my ear…
As you see the barrel is open and obviously heats up real quick. as soon as it touched my ear i came to know that Its not at all safe. My ear is still red and it burned the entire day. I also made a mental note as to not leave it on my bed when hot (as I always do with my blow dryer.)
Well, It did a very good job with my frizz -I wish I could show you the before and after pics but we were in a rush so didnt click 🙁
After we finished with the hair- which was in about 15-20 minutes and I looked at the Instyler: The lower bristles were damaged due to the heat. Actually when we opened the product the hubby had expressed his doubts that since the plastic brush bristles are coming in contact with the heated roller they might get distorted but we had expected that to happen after a few months not in the 1st 15-20 minutes.
looks scary isnt it. We got skeptical after that and now I am searching for some good quality flat-irons. We are sooo returning this back. My hair was back to their unruly nature unlike the flat iron which at least left my hait soft, silky and managable till the next wash. Im so dissatisfied :((
Let me sum up the pros and cons:
Pros of Instyler rotating iron
- It does work for volume at the roots.
- The one thing I am impressed with is the detail and quality videos that Instyler put out. They’ve got a whole series of tips and techniques specifically for different hair types.
Cons of Instyler Rotating iron
- It is very expensive for $100 and if buying through the TV ad, it is more expensive.
- It’s very noisy and annoying as the barrel rotates.
- The tip of the barrel is very hot and it’s easy to burn yourself on it.
- It doesn’t really make your hair shiny.
- You need to upgrade to the hotter iron otherwise it wonít be hot enough to style your hair.
- It’s bulky and takes you longer to style your hair than what the infomercial shows.
- The fact is if you don’t use heat protecting spray while using a hair dryer, curling iron or flat iron, you’re going to damage your hair. Several good hair stylists have told me time and time again that ceramic irons are best for your hair. In one of the Instyler videos on their site they are advising you not to use any hair product. Don’t do it!
- There are tiny grooves between the tip and the barrel that catch strands of hair and breaks it while the barrel turns.
- It’s much easier and healthier for your hair to use a flat iron. Flat irons easily create a curl with a flick of your wrist.
You also get shiny, frizz free hair with heat protecting spray when using a flat iron. Why do we need the Instyler??
It takes patience and time to learn how to use it. You have to use the proper combination of the right hair product and know- how for your hair type to get the results that you see in the infomercial.
Will I repurchase it??? NO WAY!!! I am going to return this one ASAP.
Will I advise anyone to purchase it?? HELL NO. Get a good quality ceramic iron instead. And treat yourself with the rest of the moolah…lol
Have you used Instyler rotating iron? Please rate in the box below
Also Read :
Hair Style – 8 Fantastic Reasons to Get A Short Hair Cut
Daily Beauty Tips : Hair Styling
Easy Hair Styles for the Summer Season
Hair Style : Bangs vs Fringes
Black and Decker Hair Styler Review
Toni & Guy Moisture Injection Shampoo Review
Toni&Guy Heat Defence Spray, Hydra Texture Heat Protector Review
Farouk CHI 1 Inch Ceramic Flat Hairstyling Iron
Berina Hair Heat Protector Review