Lotus Herbals Safe Sun Kids Sun block Cream SPF 25
Everyone’s familiar with the Baz Luhrmann song, “Everybody’s free to wear sunscreen”. Well, everybody also includes kids, but sunscreen for children is a relatively underdeveloped market in India. However, Lotus Herbals has developed a sunscreen specially formulated for young and delicate skin, which is being reviewed here – Lotus Herbals Sun block for kids SPF 25 (Indian Summer Formula).
Name of the Product: Lotus Herbals Sun Safe Kids Sun Block Cream SPF 25
Cost: Rs. 110 for 60g
Shelf Life: 3 years
Age of Use: 6 months onwards
Product Claim: The product claims the following:
• Only sun block in India specially formulated for kids
• Tested by dermatologists and pediatricians
• Provides complete UVA and UVB protection for tan and sun burn prevention
• Can be used by all skin types – dry, normal, oil-prone, combination
• Formulated for Indian Summers
• Sweat and Water Proof
• Hypoallergenic and Sensitive Skin Formula
• Non greasy
• SPF 25
Review: The pack is the standard orange color seen on all the Lotus Sun Safe range products. It has a cute little picture of a kid wearing sunglasses and carrying an umbrella on it. The lid is a snap-back type, which is not very tight, though I have not experienced any leakage so far.
The directions are to apply liberally on the child’s face/neck/body and to reapply when necessary.
This was tried on my son who is under 3 years of age and is prone to dry skin.
The cream is light and was absorbed almost immediately, which is a plus, since kids would be very uncomfortable wearing heavy creams.
It gave a moisturizing quality to his skin which lasted for the whole day. Also, it has a very mild fragrance, which is just right for a child’s delicate senses. This mild scent lingers through the day and keeps your child’s skin quite fresh.
Since only a little quantity is required to apply on a child, a small pack goes a long way.
As of now, this seems to be the only Indian sun block available for kids, and hence is much more reasonably priced as compared to the imported versions. Also, since this is formulated for Indian summers, it withstands the humidity to a large extent and justifies the claim that it is sweat and water proof.
Ingredients: Water, Isopropyl Myristate, Light Liquid Paraffin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutylene, Aluminium Starch Octanylsuccinate, Glycerin, PEG 30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Titanium Dioxide, Cyclopentasiloxane, Magnesium Sulphate, 2-Phenoxyethanol, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Fragrance
The product claims to contain chamomile flower extracts for soothing and nourishment, and zinc coated micro-fine titanium dioxide.
Pros of Lotus Herbals Safe Sun Kids Sun block Cream SPF 25:
1. Only sunscreen available for kids that is expressly formulated for Indian conditions.
2. Provides both UVA and UVB protection.
3. Is true to the claim of being sweat and water proof.
4. Has a mild lingering fragrance that is not an assault on the senses.
5. Can be used for kids aged 6 months onwards.
6. Is instantly absorbed into the skin, leaves no greasiness.
7. Has a lasting moisturizing effect on the skin.
8. Reasonably priced and a small pack goes a long way.
9. Long shelf life.
Cons ofLotus Herbals Safe Sun Kids Sun block Cream SPF 25:
1. Though it hasn’t shown any leakage so far, the lid doesn’t seem to snap back tightly, so has to be packed with caution for travel.
2. Contains parabens.
Verdict: The main problem with this product appears to be the inclusion of the controversial class of chemicals, parabens, in its ingredients. Otherwise, it is perfect for kids during summers, offering adequate sun protection (UVA and UVB) as well as being non greasy, moisturizing and sweat proof. All in all, I would continue to buy this product for my child till a better one is released in the Indian market.
Lotus Herbals Safe Sun SunScreen Gel SPF 20
Fabindia Fruit Burst Lotion for Kids in Bubble Gum
Lush Honey I Washed the Kids & Demon in the Dark Soap
Lotus Herbals Whiteglow Skin Whitening & Brightening Gel Creme
Lotus Herbals Whiteglow Skin Care Range Preview, Price, Photos
Bobbi Brown Extra SPF 25 Tinted Moisturizing Balm
Vichy Capital Soleil Sunscreen SPF 25
Biotique Lip Balm and Lotus Safe Sun Anti Tan Gel