Lush Haircare Review: NEW! Shampoo Bar and American Cream Conditioner
Hello IMMB ladies! This is my first review here, and I thought I’d start with my favorite brand, Lush. I’ll be reviewing a couple of Lush haircare products that I have been using for around a month.
I have a sensitive scalp, which reacts to silicones in shampoos, conditioners, serums etc., which causes itchiness and flakes leading to hairfall. So, I was on the lookout for silicone-free hair products which would control my hairfall.
NEW! Shampoo Bar:
NEW! is a solid shampoo puck meant for hormonal hair loss. It is reddish-pink in color with one or two cinammon sticks in it. It smells strongly of cinammon and I can also catch notes of peppermint. You can get around 40-50 washes with a single shampoo bar, which is why I consider shampoo bars the most economical Lush products.
Lush says “This isn’t our newest shampoo bar, we call it New because it’s full of stimulating essential oils to encourage healthy hair growth. We put in refreshing peppermint and cinnamon infusions for a healthy scalp and stimulating rosemary and nettle absolutes for shine. If you’re losing your mane because of hormones or age, you could go out and buy a new toupee, but first try New shampoo and see if it doesn’t do the trick. Use it with The Hair Doctor for a major scalp stimulating experience.”
Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Glycerine, Nettle Infusion (Urtica dioica), Peppermint Infusion (Mentha piperita), Nettle Absolute (Urtica dioica) Rosemary Absolute (Rosmarinus officinalis), Rosemary Absolute, Bay Oil (Laurus nobilis), Clove Bud Oil (Eugenia caryophyllus), Cinnamon Leaf Oil (Cinnamomum cassia), Cinnamal, Eugenol, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Linalool, D&C Red 30, Cinnamon Sticks (Cinnamomum cassia) Sadly, this shampoo is not SLS-free. Since it is solid, it is free of preservatives (No parabens!).
Usage: Swipe the bar across your hair 2-3 times, work into a lather and rinse. As you can see from the picture, the bar has hardly changed in size (it was the size of the tin) and I have used it around 10-12 times so far. I am sure I can get at least 30 more washes out of this.
Storage tips: I would encourage you to get hold of the shampoo bar tin (Rs 75) if you buy a shampoo bar. The tin can be reused and it makes storage very easy. Make sure you never store this in an ordinary soap dish, as it will melt away. Let it dry between uses and don’t let drops of water fall on it and make it wet after you have washed your hair.
What I do is, immediately after I have swiped my hair with this, I put the bar back in the tin and close it. After the shower is turned off and there is no danger of water drops falling in it, I open the tin and let one side of the bar dry. After 5 minutes, I flip it over and let the other side dry, after which I close the tin. It may seem like a lot of work but it really helps make the shampoo bar last.
My experience: One word – unbelievable. My hair and scalp have not felt this good in years. The itchiness is gone, my hairfall is considerably reduced and I can feel new hair starting to grow as well.
Pros of Lush New! Soap Bar:
- I love the cinammon smell, it is very relaxing somehow
- Lathers easily and glides through the hair, does not feel harsh or soap-like
- Easy to carry around, particularly if you have a tin
- Does not dry my hair out, although I do need conditioner after this (but I need conditioner with any shampoo I use)
- Seems to be promoting new hair growth and has definitely decreased my hair fall
- Affordable if you actually like it and use the whole thing
- Environmentally friendly – no packaging
- No preservatives, no silicones
- Can be used by both men and women, the fragrance isn’t “girly” 🙂
- The cinammon smell fades as you use the shampoo. It used to fill my whole bathroom with the smell but now it is more subtle. Not really a con unless you like strong smells like I do. The cinnamon stick is annoying as it catches in my hair. It seems to have no function, except for the smell. You can remove it, use the other side of the bar to shampoo or just remove the stick and keep it in the tin.
- Buying one shampoo bar is a waste if it doesn’t suit your hair. Lush in India does not give too many samples so there is no way of knowing unless you try it out. I would suggest buying a bar and splitting among 3-4 friends, each piece will still last you long enough to tell if the shampoo makes a difference to your hair or not.
- Contains SLS
- May be a bit drying for people with dry hair
Will I repurchase? Yes, yes, yes 😀 My rating: 4.5/5
American Cream Conditioner:
Price: Rs 450 for 100 gms, Rs 910 for 250 gms, Rs 1540 for 500 gms.
American Cream is a thick creamy conditioner with a strong vanilla fragrance and a hint of strawberry fragrance. It would totally overpower any smell from your shampoo, but it is a very yummy smell. Mine is off-white in color although it can be slightly yellowish as well. It has a shelf life of around 14 months.
Lush says about American Cream Conditioner “Mark Constantine created this conditioner based on inspiration from 1950’s American milk bars where girls in poodle skirts and knee socks went to meet their boyfriends and drink frothy milkshakes. We begin with honey water for softening locks, then add delicious fresh strawberries full of vitamins to nourish, and make your hair very shiny. American Cream is a deliciously fruity conditioner to make your hair shiny and soft, and give off the delightful fragrance of vanilla, strawberries and oranges”
Ingredients: Honey Water (Mel Aqua), Vanilla Pod Infusion (Vanilla planifolia), Propylene Glycol, Fresh Oranges (Citrus dulcis), Cetearyl Alcohol and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Fresh Strawberries (Fragaria vesca), Perfume, Lanolin, Cetrimonium Bromide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla planifolia), Clary Sage Oil (Salvia sclarea), Lavender Oil (Lavandula hybrida), Benzoin Resinoid (Styrax benzoin), Linalool, Coumarin. This one contais SLS too 🙁 Pros:
- Conditions well, but nothing extraordinary or different from other conditioners
- I use very little (around the size of a 50 paise coin) for shoulder length hair, around half the amount I would use for other conditioners
- Lovely smell if you like vanilla
- Does not weigh my hair down or feel like product buildup on my hair or scalp and makes my hair soft and shiny
- I use this on my hair, but I don’t need to worry that my scalp will break out if it touches it.
- Overpowering smell – my pillowcase, sheets smell of it
- Contains SLS
As you can see from the picture, very little of it is over even though I have used it around 10 times, so I am sure it will last long, at least 20-30 more uses (this is a 100 gm bottle). Overall, I am happy with this conditioner, but I am not as in love with it as I am with NEW! I will be giving the Lush solid conditioner – Jungle a shot next 🙂
Will I repurchase it? Probably, but I want to try the other Lush conditioners first 🙂
My rating: :-* :-*:-* + 0.5
Sorry for the bad lighting in the photos, it is a gloomy day here in Hyderabad 🙁
WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP AND DIY VIDEOS AND READ IMBB COMPLETELY AD FREE. DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!