Today, I am going to review one of the amazing foundations I have ever used – Tarte Amazonian Clay Airbrush Foundation in the shade “Medium Neutral.” This is my first time reviewing a foundation; I will try to cover as much details as possible. Let’s jump in to see what it actually does as it claims to do lots and lots of good things.
What it is:
A talc-free, 12-hour medium-coverage, weightless powder foundation.
What it does:
Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation delivers flawless, natural-looking coverage that lasts, while the skintuitive™ formula invigorates skin tone and texture for a youthful complexion. Powered by Amazonian clay enriched with the earth’s natural, light-reflecting gemstones, this talc-free, moisture-rich powder buffs on smoothly for waterproof, 12-hour coverage that won’t settle into fine lines and wrinkles. Available in an array of shades to perfectly complement a wide range of skin tones and undertones, this innovative foundation also employs a custom mesh delivery system for a fool-proof, mess-free application every time. It is formulated without parabens, phthalates.
- To apply Amazonian Clay Airbrush Foundation, gently push the Airbuki Bamboo Powder Foundation Brush into the mesh sifter—no shaking necessary.
- Tap away the excess and then buff the moisture-rich powder onto skin in circular motions until desired coverage is achieved.
- Amazonian Clay: Nature’s most perfect ingredient for better, longer, truer wear.
- Tourmaline: A natural gemstone known to energize skin for a brighter, more radiant complexion.
- Pearl Powder: Provides anti-inflammatory, invigorating, and anti-bacterial properties.
- Camellia Leaf Extract: Provides antioxidant benefits to fight free radicals and aid in skin repair.
- Mineral Pigments: Soothe and soften skin.
All shades (except rich sand): Quartz, Ruby Powder, Tourmaline, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Smithsonite Extract, Sea Salt/Maris Sal/Sel Marin, Hydrolyzed Pearl, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, BHT, Kaolin. May Contain(+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510).
Available at Sephora (online/in-stores), Tarte Cosmetics online.
Shades:Available in 11 shades with the description of the skin tone. I picked up Medium Neutral ( NW30 or NC40 in MAC)
- Fair Honey (fair skin with peach undertones).
- Fair-light neutral (fair to light skin with yellow and pink undertones)
- Fair-light honey (fair-light skin with peach undertones)
- Light beige (light skin with pink undertones)
- Light-medium neutral (light to medium skin with yellow and pink undertones)
- Light-medium beige (light to medium skin with pink undertones).
- Medium-beige (medium skin with pink undertones).
- Medium neutral (medium skin with yellow and pink undertones).
- Medium – tan sand (medium to tan skin with yellow undertones).
- Tan sand (tan skin with yellow undertones).
- Rich sand (deeper skin with yellow undertones).
My Experience with Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation:
I never tried a mineral power or a foundation before. I had my eyes on Bare minerals foundation as it had amazing reviews on Sephora website but for some reason I never got a chance to lay my hands on it. A couple of months ago, I used Tarte Maracuja oil and fell in love with it. I never owned any Tarte products before, so I did my mini research on this brand and found out that many people loved the Tarte Amazonian Airbrush Foundation. When I read the product description on the website, I was wowed by it and also the name says “airbrush” foundation which further tempted me and immediately placed an order. As you have already read, this product claims to do a lot of good things. I must say it definitely does most of it.
As all other mineral foundations, this also comes in a jar with a twist up lid and a shifter to dispense the product. I really like the packaging of this product. It comes in a cute jar with a bamboo twist up lid that has the brand name written on it with cute design. Once you twist the lid, it has a mesh shifter to dispense the product which makes it non-messy (unlike holes as other products have) and the cap has a stopper that sits right above the shifter when you close it that helps to keep the product tight and secure so it doesn’t fly when you open the lid. The bottom of the container has the shade name and description of the shade.
There’s one down side to the packaging. As this is a loose powder foundation, we tend to tap off the excess on the lid or swirl it on the lid and apply it over the face, but this is not possible with it as it has a stopper right in the center of the lid. So, the excess has to be tapped off on the actual container and not on the cap which makes it a little inconvenient at the beginning.
Tarte suggests using “Airbuki bamboo foundation brush” ($26) to apply it on the face, but before splurging extra bucks just for a kabuki, I wanted to test it out with my own foundation brush and buy “Airbuki” if it doesn’t perform as good. I used the product with Real Tehniques Buffing Brush and ELF Powder Brush and both of them did an awesome job in buffing the foundation. So, technically you can use any flat top brushes that are suitable for mineral foundations.
I gently pressed the RT buffing brush over the mesh shifter, tapped off the excess and buff it on to the skin using circular motions from the center of the face.
As the product claims, it gives a very natural coverage after applying, doesn’t feel powdery or cakey, just blends so seamlessly on the skin making it appear “your skin but better.” You cannot feel the product when you touch your skin. This gives a medium coverage and completely covers hyperpigmentation and redness but doesn’t do a great job in covering blemishes. It also helps to blur the open pores giving it an airbrushed look. This foundation can be layered multiple times and still doesn’t feel cakey or overdone. Last but not the least; it did not cause any breakouts on my skin!!
This product is more suitable for people who do not have major issues with their skin and who are looking for a lightweight -medium coverage foundation.
Finish: I absolutely love the finish. It gives an airbrushed luminous glow to face (right combination of matte and glowing skin). It works like a charm on all skin types – dry, combination and oily. It doesn’t accentuate any dry patches nor does it seem to make your skin feel oily. It is a unique and magical product designed for every skin type. For oily skin girls, there is no need to set this foundation with powder.
Longevity: I am definitely impressed with it’s staying power. It stayed on for good 8 hours without looking oily and did not fade off unevenly as most of the powder/liquid foundations do.
Smell: I couldn’t smell anything weird.
Pros of Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation:
- Cute and non-messy packaging.
- No harmful ingredients.
- Quick and easy to use, unlike liquid foundation.
- Available in various shades.
- Awesome coverage and longevity.
- Feels very light on the skin and makes your skin feel “your skin but better.”
- Gives a luminous glow to the skin.
- Doesn’t feel heavy or cakey even if you layer it multiple times.
- Suitable for all skin types and weather conditions.
- Covers hyperpigmentation and redness flawlessly.
- It photographs well without giving a white cast on the face.
- Gives an airbrushed finish to the skin by blurring the open pores, does not settle in fine lines.
- Doesn’t cause any breakouts.
Cons of Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation:
- May not work as great for people with lot of acne or skin issues as it doesn’t give full coverage.
- Not easily available in India.
Overall, I have a very positive opinion on this foundation. I love how it performs on my skin and I will definitely repurchase it when I run out of it, this one is my most favorite foundation.
Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Flush
Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush – Frisky
Tarte Lights Camera Lashes 4-in-1 Mascara
Tarte Amazonian Clay Eye & Cheek Palette
Tarte Natural Lip Stain with LipSurgence in Moody
Tarte The Starlet Limited Edition Makeup Vanity
Tarte Hope LipSurgence Natural Matte Lip Tint
Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Exposed
Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay Blush in Blissful
The Body Shop Amazonian Wild Lily Fragrance Mist
30 Best Clay Masks Available in India For Oily Skin
Freeman Clay Mask with Avocado and Oatmeal
Superdrug Cucumber Cooling Clay Mask
Khadi Mauri Clay Based Face Mask
Revlon ColorStay 12-Hour Eyeshadow Quad Blushed Wines
Bare Escentuals Full Coverage Kabuki Brush
Milani Lip Flash Full Coverage Shimmer Gloss Pencil – Photo Flash
Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup
Revlon Photoready Airbrush Mousse Makeup Foundation
Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Airbrush Finish Foundation
Sephora Perfection Mist Airbrush Foundation