In this world full of pollution and stress, many women suffer from a problematic scalp and numerous hair problems. Hair loss, dandruff, scalp acne, itchy scalp, damaged hair strands and thinning hair are some of the most common problems that women suffer from now-a-days. I am no exception too. I used to have beautiful thick hair but that is now a thing of past. For the past three years or so, I have been suffering from thousands of hair problems and there is hardly anything which I haven’t tried out. I have seen the dermatologist and failed terribly, went to the homeopathy doctor whose medicine has taken months to show even the slightest improvement and all the while, I have tried a variety of homemade treatments. Today, I would like to share a DIY onion hair treatment, which is quite effective on problematic scalp and hair.
Who Would Benefit From this DIY Onion Hair Treatment?
This DIY onion hair treatment is suitable for oily scalp and normal hair. Done religiously, it helps to combat hair fall, dandruff, itchy scalp, scalp acne and treat dry hair, which had been subjected to regular dose of anti-dandruff shampoos for a long period of time.
Onions are loaded with the stimulating properties of sulphur which aid hair re-growth and strop hair loss. It has anti-bacterial properties that help to do away with dandruff and scalp acne.
DIY Onion Hair Treatment – Ingredients:
For this DIY onion hair treatment, you would need the following ingredients, which are easily available:
- Onions – the smaller variety and not the larger ones that we often use while cooking. If you are confused, ask the vegetable man to give you “onions that help in hair loss” and chances are, he knows which variety to give. These onions are widely used to treat alopecia as a home remedy.
- Aroma Magic Stimulate Blended hair oil which contains a blend of different essential oils; alternately, you may use one or more of the following essential oils – Tea Tree Essential oil, Yang Lang essential oil, Rosemary essential oil, Cedar wood essential oil.
- Pure olive oil (I use Bertolli Classico Olive oil).
- Pure Coconut oil (I use any good quality local brand which I get).
- Lemon and water for conditioning hair rinse.
1. Take a few onions, anything from 5 to 8 pieces should be sufficient.
2. Peel the onions and put them in a blender.
3. The onions should be pureed and then put on a washed cheesecloth or cotton cloth.
4. Squeeze out the onion juice in a bowl. You will get 3 or 4 spoons of onion juice.
5. Now, it is time to put some essential oils. I use the Aroma Magic Stimulate Blended hair oil meant for hair loss. This hair oil didn’t work any wonders for me on its own, when used as directed along with water. That is why, I prefer using it along with onion juice. When it gets used up, I would use tea tree essential oil or the others that I have already mentioned.
6. Add about 10 drops of the oil to the onion juice. Mix well. Use a piece of cotton wool to dab it on the scalp. Ensure the whole of the scalp is covered with the mixture. [At the same time, take care to leave some onion juice-essential oil mixture (about a spoon) in the bowl.] After that, use the tips of the fingers to massage the scalp gently but thoroughly with the mixture. This helps in absorption and stimulation.
7. Take a spoon of olive oil and a spoon of coconut oil. I have shoulder-length hair and this is sufficient for me.
8. Mix these oils thoroughly with the leftover onion juice-essential oil blend in the bowl.
9. The mixture would look like a whitish liquid.
10. Apply the mixture on the hair strands, avoiding the scalp.
11. Wait for at least 2 hours.
12. Wash with a shampoo of your choice. It is best if you can use a chemical-free and SLS-free shampoo. You could even use homemade shampoos. I use an all-natural powder shampoo, which is available in Kolkata.
13. Use lemon rinse to condition your hair. For this, you need to add the juice of half-a-lemon to a mug of water. This also helps to remove the strong smell of onion to some extent and makes scalp fresh.
DIY Onion Hair Treatment – Pointers:
- It is best to use fresh onion juice every time.
- This treatment can be done every day. But since this practice calls for regular shampooing, I prefer it on alternate days.
- Even if you do not have the above-said problems, the hair treatment can be still resorted to as a part of your regular hair care regimen and you can keep your hair and scalp healthy with this easy and effective treatment.
- The treatment takes at least a month’s time to show results. Hence, be patient and religious in following it.
- The small variety of onions is available abundantly in winters. The price is low during the times. In other seasons, availability may be an issue and the price is pretty high.
- If you have dry scalp, you can still go for the treatment. Just make sure that you cover your scalp with honey or a honey-olive oil mix after you have finished massaging your scalp with the onion-juice essential oil mixture.
- If essential oils or Magic Stimulate Blended hair oil is not readily available, you may like to use onion juice directly on scalp. It is very effective that way too.
- The smell of onions is very strong and may not be completely removed immediately after washing.
- Scalp feels nourished, free from itches and hair feels soft after this treatment.
Hairstyle: Hairstyles for Long Hair
Skin and Hair Care Tips for Monsoons
Hair Color: More on Hair Coloring
Sunsilk Hair Fall Solution Shampoo and Conditioner
9 Hair Care Tips for Long Hair for Indian Women
Rose Water for Hair Care
8 Quick Hair Care Tips
Hibiscus for Hair Care
Hair Care 4: Tips for Dry Hair
Hair Care: The Body Shop New Eco-Conscious Rainforest Hair Care
My Skin Care and Hair Care Routine
Hair Care Tips for Strong Healthy Hair
Hair Care : Do It Yourself Hair Protein Pack
Hair Care 3: Tips for Healthy Hair
5 Awesome DIY Hair Care Tips
Hair Care 2: Shampoo and Conditioner
Winter Skin and Hair Care Tips
Hair Care Tips for Color-Treated Hair
Split Hair Ends: Home Remedies and Treatment
6 Steps to a Happy Head