Whether or not one should wear makeup during an acne breakout might just be the biggest conundrums plaguing the beauty world. While some of us may think that makeup helps hide the bumpy, red acne lesions, the rest of us are worried that wearing layers of foundation and concealer can actually cause the zits to get worse. So, the most important thing to do when trying to decide whether or not wear makeup in the case of acne is to find effective and lightweight products that do not aggravate the breakout and still do a good job at covering it up. Most foundation and concealers don’t go on smoothly over acne and pimples, and in turn make them look worse! So, the key is to find the right products and follow the best way to apply them. Here are some tips for you in case you have acne-prone skin and still love to wear makeup.
1. Don’t skimp on the right skincare: When wearing makeup for acne, the right base is very important. Make sure to start with clean skin. Don’t skip the toner and moisturizer. Go for a super hydrating (but oil free) moisturizer to combat any dry patches or flakiness caused by the acne.
Recommendation: Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturiser SPF 15
2. Use an Oil-Free Primer before Applying Makeup: If you have acne-prone skin, it’s a great idea to include a good primer before applying makeup because it will act as a barrier between the skin and rest of the makeup. A primer also acts as a canvas and helps with smooth application of base makeup and in prolonging the staying power of makeup. Nowadays, there are loads of makeup primers that come with acne-fighting ingredients such as willowbark, salicylic acid, tea tree oil, hyaluronic acid, etc. Our suggestions: Dr. Brandt Pore No More Refiner Primer, Coverfx Mattifying Primer with Anti-Acne Treatment.
3. Go for a very lightweight and oil-free foundation: The next step is to find the right foundation. Getting the perfect colour match is key. Anything too light or too dark will only accentuate the acne. Choose a lightweight and oil-free formula.
Recommendation: Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation
4. Apply in thin layers and with a light hand: You may be tempted to apply thick layers of foundation to conceal the acne, but that’s where most people go wrong. The key to a natural and concealed look is to apply the foundation in very thin layers with a light hand. Make use of a Beauty Blender for a more natural finish. Don’t attempt to conceal too much with your foundation. Your foundation should only even out your skin tone. Recommendation: Beauty Blender Sponge
5. Make use of a colour corrector: If there’s too much redness and inflammation on your skin, then let a colour corrector come to your rescue. Apply a green colour corrector to the parts where you need to combat the redness. Recommendation: Urban Decay Naked Skin Colour Correcting Fluid
6. Choose a full coverage concealer with SPF: Over the colour correct, apply a full coverage concealer. Like I had mentioned earlier, don’t apply thick product all over your face. Focus on spot concealing for a more natural look. Make sure that the concealer you pick offers sun protection. You don’t want to aggravate your acne by exposing it to sun damage.
7. Distract from the area of breakout: Suppose you have a lot of breakouts on your cheeks, then it’s important to keep in mind that you should distract from that area. Skip products like blush, bronzer and highlighter that are actually designed to draw attention to the cheeks. If your cheeks have acne, then focus on dramatizing your eyes (try a winged liner or smoky eye, maybe) or any other feature of your face.
Recommendation: Kat Von D Tattoo Liner
8. Go for a bold, bright or dark lip: Unless you have acne right around your mouth, going for a bold, bright or dark lip is a great makeup tip for those suffering from breakouts. It takes away the attention from your skin and makes your lips do all the talking. However, when wearing bold lip colours, make sure that you’ve concealed your skin properly. Recommendation: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella
9. Use a Makeup Setting Spray: A good makeup setting spray will help prevent the shine and grease from showing up on the face. Our suggestion: NYX Makeup Matte Finish Makeup Setting Spray.
10. Try the Jamsu Method: This is a popular Korean makeup technique that keeps oily skin matte and oil-free all day long. Here are more details on how you can try this method.
NARS lip pencil in Cruella
A Makeup Guide for Acne Prone Skin
9 Game-Changing Makeup Tips for Acne-Prone Skin
Clinique Acne Solutions Powder Makeup
Baking Powder Spot Treatment for Acne: Do-it-Yourself