WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
NYX Box of Smokey Look Collection (S114) Review
Hi everyone! Hope you guys are doing well!
I am back after a forced hiatus -first my camera was busted and then I fractured my hand. I still cant type much so this post will be a result of quite some days , a few lines a day:). Anyways, here I am with another review, this time on NYX’s Box of Smokey Look Collection.
Description: This makeup kit is a collector’s box with NYX’s 4 signature smokey look kits: Classic Smokey, Purple Smokey, Bronze Smokey and Natural Smokey, all in one. Also contains 3 blushes, bronzers, highlighter, concealers, lip colors, glitter creams and a black eyeliner.
Price: anywhere from $17.99 to $22.
Available: anywhere NYX cosmetics are sold (cherryculture, nonpareilboutique, porkdaisy, beautyjoint etc.)
Packaging: The dimensions of this box are as follows: Compact: 6.75″W x 4″H x 1.50″D; Extended: 10.75″W x 8″H x 1.50″D
What I love:
• There’s so much of product to choose from in this kit. For every kind of smokey eye look (as mentioned above, there are 4 kinds: classic, purple, bronze and natural), there are 12 colors to mix and match from. Apart from the eyeshadows, there are so many other items: 3 blushes, 2 bronzers, 1 highlighter, 12 cream glitter eyeshadows, 16 lip colors, 4 concealers, 1 black eye liner, a sponge applicator and a lip brush.
(The 4 kits (from L to R) – Classic Smokey, Purple Smokey, Bronze Smokey & Natural Smokey)
• This is a really good deal for about $18 dollars. I was actually browsing through NYX’s individual smokey look kits when I came across this. Each individual smokey eye kit costs about $13, so this is a great deal for $20. Not only are we getting all the 4 individual smokey eye sets in this one kit but also so many other products as mentioned above. Great value for money!
• As with all NYX products, the quality is amazing. The eyeshadows are pigmented, easy to work with and stay on for a long time. These might not be as great as NYX’s individual eye shadows but even then, the quality is really nice. Not much to complain about!
(Swatches of a few eyeshadows – just one swipe)
• Not only the eyeshadows, but even the face products are pigmented and offer a great variety of colors. There is both a matte bronzer and a shimmery one. The blushes are really pretty too and range from a sheer one to quite a pigmented one.
(The middle part has 2 bronzers, a highlighter and 3 blushes)
(Swatches of blushes)
• There are 16 lip colors, so you are bound to find at least two that you absolutely love! The colors are gorgeous and once again provide a wide variety for every skin tone and in every shade. These go on really smooth and provide a glossy effect to the lips.
(Swatches of some lip colors)
• The concealers/correctors are creamy and there are 4 shades in the kit. There is a green, lavender, salmon and a yellowish shade to tackle all the problem areas on the face.
• The glitter cream shadows are a fun and spunky addition to this palette. These are fun to use and will be perfect for a late night party. I prefer to use these as eyeliners than eyeshadows to add some sparkle to a neutral eye look.
(Swatches of some of the glitter cream eyeshadows)
• I really like the shiny, black packaging. It is quite thick compared to a coastal scents palette. Also comes with a decent size mirror and is quite sturdy.
(Size comparison with the coastal scents palette)
• Great for travelling. Just take this palette and no need to pack multiple items.
• Even for a beginner, it’s really easy to create different smokey eyes with this kit. It takes out guesswork of which shadows to use and which colors will compliment each other. There are multiple shades to choose from in each smokey look so you can go as neutral to as dramatic as you’d like.
What I don’t like:
• The pencil eyeliner is nothing great. I have to pull and tug my eyes quite a bit to get the color I desire. I don’t think I am going to use either the eyeliner again.
• The colors don’t have names or numbers but I don’t think it’s really that big a deal.
• Some eyeshadow colors look quite similar to each other and some are a little less pigmented than the others. Having said that, most colors are really gorgeous and super pigmented.
• Glitter cream shadows are not for everyone. The glitter is quite chunky and I find them quite difficult to blend. Even when blended, they are not your daily wear items.
(Glitter shadows and concealers/correctors)
• Blushes are mostly pink so if you are more into the orangish coral colors, you’d be disappointed.
• Some of the lighter color lip colors are really sheer and not true to how they look in the kit. I am a little disappointed with how sheer some colors are.
• Even though the packaging is nice and sturdy, the compartment with the lip colors, glitter shadows and concealers takes a few attempts to slide out smoothly.
(The lowermost sliding compartment)
• As with most makeup kits, there’s always a chance of eyeshadows falling out on the lip colors or other products. It’s built quite nicely and I have not had any problems so far but with makeup kits, I am always wary of one product dusting on the other.
• Lip brush and sponge applicator are both “meh”. Nothing to rave about.
• I don’t think it’s available in India. Available mostly online requiring a credit card.
Rating: 4 out of 5
Overall, I really love this kit. This has become my go to kit ever since I got it. Since I purchased it mainly for the smokey eyes, it has been a great buy for me because of the amazing selection of shadows. The blushes are great too and are my second most favorite thing in the kit after the smokey kits. The lip colors could be better and I don’t see myself using the glitter shadows too often. But overall a great value for money and absolutely fabulous for someone who loves smokey eyes, like me 🙂
Also Read :
Faces Cosmetics Smoky Eyes Kit Photos
MAC Tartan Tale Eyeshadow Palette, Face Kit, Lip Kit Photos, Swatches
Smokey Eye: Brown Black Smokey Eye Tutorial
Smokey Eyes, Nude Lips Tutorial by MAC Mickey Contractor
Bourjois Paris Effet Smoky Eye Pencil and Effet 3D Max Lip Gloss Review
Black Smokey Eye Tutorial
NYX Chrome Eye Shadow Mink, Seclude Review, Photos, Swatch
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil Milk Review, Swatches
NYX Rouge Cream Blush Review – Natural
NYX Cosmetics Review
NYX Slim Lip Liner Pencil in Natural and Hot Red Review
NYX Powder Blush Pinched Review, Swatch
NYX Studio Perfect Primer Review