Online shopping has been in vogue for long abroad and now it is spreading its roots in India as well. With the growing number of online shopping sites the net fraud is also flourishing. It was not a long times ago when a friend of mine had to give twenty thousand rupees for a pair of Ray-ban glasses. Reason? Someone stole his credit card information online and did a hearty shopping.
I never understood how these hackers or geniuses, as I earlier thought them to be, manage to do all that. And after what my friend had to go through I just kept myself contented by shopping in stores. Though I always desired the stuff available online I could never gather the courage to shop.
One day while surfing the net I came across a wonderful deal on some makeup products online. I could not resist myself from clicking it which in turn made me yearning for it. With no one to my rescue I decided to take up the fight of enlightening myself on the precautions to be taken while shopping online. Though most of the articles went at a miles distance above my head (too technical) I still managed to get hold of few basic points.
Things to remember while shopping online:
• Virtual credit cards are the best options available to shop online. These credit cards are for one time use only with the 24-48 hours validity. Many banks like HDFC and ICICI provide this facility.
• Use a secure web browser while shopping online. As we all know that the Internet Explorer is the most used browser across the globe which makes it the most sought after browser for net thieves. No please don’t take me wrong I do not mean that by using other browser like Mozilla Firefox for instance your information would be totally secured. What I am trying to say is that by using a less popular browser the chances of hacking are relatively low.
• Don’t buy stuff from anyone online. Always deal with a reputable merchant while making payment online as they use encryption technologies to protect the private data of their users.
• Using a temporary card number is another good option. Get a temporary card number from your credit card provider with a preset spending limit. It is always safe to keep a low cash limit after all you won’t be buying an Aston Martin online.
• Never ever let any website store your credit card number.
• Avoid sending payment information via e-mail.
Due to the lack of time with everyone these days internet shopping sure has a future in our country as well. So until some another genius brings out some method to challenge these security tips just enjoy shopping online.
As far as I am concerned no matter how much I buy online nothing could beat the feeling I get when I grab my shopping bag in a store.
Shopping does need a personal touch. What say?
A Guide To Online Shopping
Fashion and You Website Review
Shopping: Top 5 Online Makeup Shops
Cosmetic Shopping Experience on Amazon
My First Online Cosmetic Shopping Experience and a Surprise Picture
Online Makeup Shopping: Coastal Scents Brushes Haul