WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
MAC Chili Swatches & Review
Indian women fit into two categories, those who wear red lipstick and those who don’t. Most of us are very hesitant to wear a bold color, and for good reason. The wrong red can be disastrous. The first time I tried on a red lipstick, my friend told me I looked like “Chameli”. Definitely not something one wants to hear. It took me a while to find my red and to find the confidence to wear it.
Now every time reds are mentioned online, especially with MAC lipstick, the most common ones are MAC RED, MAC RUSSIAN RED & MAC LADYBUG. My red is MAC Chili , I haven’t seen much about this lipstick, but that’s coz its quite an interesting lipstick, and from my experience one that suits Indian skin a lot, especially those with the medium to dark complexions.
The color in the tube as you can see, looks more like a brownish red ….
On the swatch however it looks less brown and more of an orangey-red…… The MAC website describes the color of this lipstick as Brownish-Orangey- Red
On the left is MAC Chili and on the right is a swatch of the MAC lip pencil Cherry. In the swatch Cherry looks like a RED RED, but its actually got a bit of pinky tone as well. Cherry is also an amazing red, sometimes when I feel really daring I use Cherry all over the lip and top with transparent gloss 😀 But we won’t let CHERRY steal the show 😛
To tone down the orangey-ness of Chili and to highlight the red, I use Cherry to line my lips, so the swatch on the left shows Chili with an outline of Cherry. The line is really obvious here but normally I would blend it to look like a gradual transformation ……
This is moi with the shade, Chili lined with Cherry. This is how I like to wear reds, all I have on otherwise is compact and MAC Smolder. See on my skin, from a bit of a distance it looks more red than anything else 😀
What I love about MAC Chili
• The color
• Its matte, amazingly matte. While it may make lips look smaller, it does make red look more dignified. Glossy reds can sometimes look a bit too much.
• It stays, It lasts a good 4 hours with eating and drinking with a regular application, but it can last longer with a powder and blotting application. I have used this at work and gone from 9-5 without needing to re-apply.
• The lovely MAC lipstick taste/smell.
• And its creamy creamy, so will not dry your lips out 😀
What I don’t like about MAC Chili
• Because Reds are so pigmented this one is prone to feathering, it absolutely needs a lipliner !
• It also means u cant accidentally wipe your mouth or put your hand near your mouth, if it feather, smudges or gets onto your face, it’s a pain to remove.
• And at the end of the day, because its such a pigmented shade you really need to bring out the remover to get this completely off your lips.
Long story short, MAC Chili is my HG red. This may not be the red for everyone but hopefully it drives home the point that somewhere out there is a red made for everyone. So just cause one red looked ghastly on you doesn’t mean they all will…..
Although I would definitely recommend everyone who is looking for a red to stop and try this one out… it just might work for you 😀