NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil in Hot Red Review
I am back with another lippy review. This time, it’s the NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil in Hot Red. NYX Jumbo Lip Pencils in 3 different colors have been reviewed by Beenii before, so this is primarily going to be a review on the Hot Red color!
A few days back, I ordered a few of these pencils from porkdaisy.com and when they reached me, I immediately fell in love with the Hot Red shade. While ordering, I was very hesitant to order this bright shade of red. It felt very intimidating, but I decided to give it a try anyways. When my order came in, I put it on and viola! Can’t even begin to describe how gorgeous it looked!
So let’s get straight to the review.
What the Product Claims:
The idea of a Jumbo Lip Pencil, according to NYX, is combining a lip liner and lipstick in one. NYX claims it has mineral oil that doesn’t dry the lips and goes on smoothly.
Ceresin Wax, Microcrystalline Wax, Polyethylene Wax, Beeswax, Squalane, Hydrogenated Resin, Hydrogenated Styrene, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Mineral Oils, Isopropyl Myristate, Polyisobutene, Butlated Hydroxy Anisole, Propyl Paraben, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, C.I.77491/2/9, C.I.15850, Pearl Powder.
Available in 30 shades.
$2.99 – $4.50.
Anywhere NYX Cosmetics are sold (nonpareilboutique, cherryculture, porkdaisy, beautyjoint, amazon, ebay, other online stores, drugstores abroad, etc. In India – NYX is available in NYX counters)
What I Love about NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil in Hot Red:
• Hot Red is a gorgeous tomato red color with just the right amount of warmth to work well for our skin tones. Reds are one of the most difficult colors to pick. For many Asian skintones with that yellow tinge to our skins, reds with yellow-orange undertones are more flattering as the color goes on warmer and softer than a blue-toned red lipstick. The Hot Red shade has the perfect amount of yellowness to bring out that softness in the face.
• The pigmentation with this lip pencil is amazing. Just one good swipe is enough to get a great color.
• This particular shade stays on my lips for about 5-6 hours even with eating and drinking.
• Even when the shade starts fading, it goes off uniformly without leaving patches on my lips and there’s still some color left after hours and hours of application.
• It feels creamy and does not dry my lips at all, also has a nice shine (no shimmer) to it.
• Looks great when paired with a winged eyeliner with nothing much going on with the eye look. Gives a real Hollywood retro look with a winged liner and a mascara and a clean even face.
• My favorite way of wearing this deep red is to apply it on my lips and then dab it with a tissue paper. I repeat this step a couple of times which gives a beautiful red stain to my lips without that overwhelming red shade and sheen on the lips.
(One swipe without the tissue dabbing)
(After dabbing the lips with tissue)
• Even though it comes in a thick pencil form, it is very easy to apply without going outside the lip line.
• Surprisingly, it has never transferred on to my lips which is a huge plus with such a dark shade of red.
• This shade of red makes my whole complexion look bright and radiant.
• Another plus is with such a bright red shade, nothing much needs to be done to the rest of the face.
• Unlike NYX lipsticks, the jumbo lip pencils do not have that weird taste or smell.
• An absolutely gorgeous color for pigmented lips as well as with someone of darker skin tones.
• The price is great for quite a huge pencil. On cherryculture, the lip pencils are on sale for $2.99 each.
• Unlike most red lipsticks, I haven’t had the problem of bleeding and feathering with this particular shade. I feel this has to do with the consistency of the lip pencils in general. I have also tried this on without a lip liner and even then it stayed on the lips without transferring to any area outside the lips.
What I Don’t Love about NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil in Hot Red:
• As with such creamy red lipsticks, transfer to anything that touches the lips is unavoidable. The red stains on glasses or cups is disgusting. However, if I dab the pencil with a tissue, the transfer is restricted to a great extent.
• The consistency is so creamy that a lot of color gets scraped on the plastic cap. I wish the packaging was a little better.
• With reds, it is better to line the lips first to avoid any feathering or bleeding. As mentioned above, I didn’t have any feathering issues, but still just to be on the safer side, application of a lip liner is recommended.
• With all NYX Jumbo pencils, these need to be sharpened with a special wide holed sharpener.
• I don’t think the NYX Jumbo Lip Pencils, in general, can be very good liners because of how thick these are. These are best suited to fill in the entire lips rather than lining them.
• Not for someone who doesn’t like deep dark colors.
• The color comes off completely only with a makeup remover.
• Limited availability in India.
4 out of 5.
After a lot of trials and errors, I have found my perfect shade of red. For years, I have shied from wearing such dramatic and bold colors on my lips, but now I think, everyone should have at least one shade of red in their collection that flatters their complexion and gives that wonderfully classy look when paired with a strongly lined eye and a flawless face. This shade in particular will suit most Indian women and I highly recommend it! (Taking a point off for the messy packaging)
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil Yoghurt Review, Swatches
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Black Bean
NYX Jumbo Eyeshadow Pencil Pots & Pans Review, Swatch
NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil : Deep Red, Iced Coffee, Soft Fuchsia
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil Milk Review, Swatches
NYX Slim Lip Liner Pencil in Natural and Hot Red
NYX Slim Lip liner Pencil Fuschia Review and swatches
MAC Spice Lip Pencil Review, Swatch, FOTD
Nars Dolce Vita Velvet Matte Lip Pencil Review, Swatch, FOTD
Estee Lauder Lip Pencil Spice Writer Review, Swatches
Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Pencils Photos, Swatches
NYX Cream Blush: Orange, Hot Pink, Red Cheeks, Glow
Silver Black Smokey Eyes & Hot Pink Lips Makeup Photo Tutorial
How To Wear Red Lipstick – Photo Makeup Tutorial
Biotique Red Sandalwood Lotion With SPF 50
Red Lipstick: MAC Chili
Colour Red and its Importance