Finding a good foundation has been one of my problems for a long time now. Most of the times , the shade is not the right one , the foundation itself is too cakey and gives me a white cast in pictures, its too oily or exaggerates the dry patches on the face !! I have experienced each one of these problems with the different foundations I have tried. Rati has already written a very good article on different types of foundations and the basics, so I am not gonna go into the details. You can check the BASIC FOUNDATIOn GUIDE.
I have been makeup crazy from school days. So, I wanted my wedding makeup to look nothing less then perfect. But to my horror, when I look back at my reception pictures, I see that stupid makeup artist has actually not used the right foundation shade on me! While it looked really good in person, pictures tell a different story :(.Big mistake hiring a makeup artist. Yeah, should have done my own makeup :(. A lot of Indian women like me have a problem finding the right shade of foundation. Indian cosmetic brands have to realize this and start catering to wide range of browns that we people belong to.
Having said that, I would say Revlon Colorstay foundation has come very close to being my favorite foundation. But my thirst for finding a “dream” foundation still continues…It’s a never ending process… sighs!
What does Revlon claim about color stay foundation?
“ColorStay™ Makeup with SoftFlex™ provides lightweight comfort, so you feel like you’re not wearing makeup. Looks fresh for up to 16 hours”.
Price: 12.99 $ USD / Rs 790 (Indian Rupees)
Quantity: 1 FL oz /30 ml
Ivory , Buff , Sand Beige , Nude , Natural Beige , Medium beige , Fresh beige , Golden Beige , Warm Golden , True Beige , Natural Tan ,Early tan , Rich Tan, Golden caramel , Toast , Rich ginger.
Before you go and buy a foundation make sure to understand your skin type (normal, oily or combination). You should also check if you have pink undertones or yellow undertones. I guess most Indian women have yellow undertones. So make sure to get a foundation that suits your undertones and something that doesn’t look ashy on the skin. Take your time. Don’t rush into buying one. It’s a big decision, guys! : P
I initially got the shade in “rich ginger”, coz that’s the shade that the SA recommended to me. Rich ginger is a darker brown shade, with some orange undertones according to me. It looked fine in the store, but I came home to find that it was much darker than my skin tone and also a tad orangey for my skin! I ended using it by mixing it with my other foundations and moisturizer. But this time I got the shade “toast” and it’s a perfect match. YAY for that!! Toast is light brown with some beige mixed in, with some yellowish undertone.
PROs of Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation:
- The shade selection is really good. Usually only high end brands like MAC have a wide range. But I am glad that Revlon incorporated a total of 16 shades.
- Colorstay is available in two types – one for combination/oily skin, and for normal/dry skin.
- The coverage is very good. I don’t like heavy coverage. I use a tiny amount and it is just about perfect for me. But you can definitely build layers to get a heavier coverage.
- It has not given any problems to my skin. I don’t break out much, touch wood! But I have seen people with acne prone skin haven’t had too many problems with this.
- The foundation stays on for a good 6-7 hours on the skin. That’s quite awesome according to me.
- The quantity is pretty decent.
CONs of Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation
- The foundation dries a tad quickly. You have to work really fast on your face before this dries up.
- The foundation doesn’t really give you the dewy finish that we all love. It’s almost like matt finish. Nevertheless I love this one!
- I have to make sure to moisturize really, I mean REALLY well before I apply this. Otherwise the foundation goes on streaky and makes my dry patches even worse. But I guess moisturizing well is prerequisite for every foundation on the market.
- The price is a lot for a drugstore product. But if you try to snag it on a BOGO offer and split it with a friend or something, it’s not so bad.
- I am not so gaga about the packaging. It comes in bottle with a screw on cap. I would have preferred a pump to dispense the right amount.
6) The foundation smells kinda weird!
TIPS for choosing the right foundation:
- Since the formulation is a little thick and tends to dry quickly, I like to apply it with a damp makeup sponge. That way, it tends to give a better finish and is easier to work with.
- To find the right shade of foundation, take the shades you feel are the closest and swatch them all on the side of your face near the jaw line. Whichever shade disappears into your skin is the color you should buy.
- Always, Always moisturize really well before you apply your foundation. Apply your moisturizer and let it sink into your skin for about 5 mins. Then apply your foundation to create a flawless dewy look. Truth be told, I use my Aveeno’s daily moisturizing lotion for my face too. It’s the only thing that has managed to work on my dry skin. I have tried so many other ones meant for the face, but nothing would heal my dry patches around my nose. Aveeno is a no-nonsense lotion. It does not have any fragrance and it absorbs into the skin magically without leaving a trace! So I say if something works you, don’t be afraid to experiment and go beyond what the product is meant to be used for.
So, I hope you guys liked the review. If you are on the market for a good foundation, you should give this try. I am pretty sure it won’t disappoint you.