Wedding/ Bridal Makeup Kit
I went with my friend yesterday for her Marriage Kit Shopping. We were running short of time so we could not pick up stuff from lots of brands so we concentrated mainly on buying from MAC, Colorbar, and Inglot.
Some statistics about her skin type and skin tone
Skin tone : Fair + green eyes
Skin type : Oily + acne prone
Also, she does not wear too much eye makeup so her makeup kit needed to be focused more towards lips and face. The only makeup she mostly wears is a Red Lipstick. 😀
So here’s what we bought:
- 8-10 lipsticks and lipglosses from Colorbar Soft Touch Lipstick, Colorbar Velvet Matte Lipstick , Hollywood Lights Lip Gloss and 2 Juicy Candy Lip Gloss. She kept a mix of shades from pinks, browns and neutrals. Also 1-2 lipsticks were especially for her wedding and reception dresses.
- Eyeliners: We picked 3 Colorbar I glide Eye Pencils: Prunella, Cocobar and Silver Hue (Rs 325 each). She doesn’t wear black eyeliners but if you do, you must have atleast one black eyeliner. She’ll borrow liquid liner from her sis. 😛
- Mascara: Extreme Lash Mascara . It is waterproof . Rs 600
- Colorbar Makeup Box. This covered all her eyeshadows and her basic blushes. (Rs 950)
- Blush: We wanted a shimmery blush so we picked up Cinnabar (Rs 250). Colorbar also has a gorgeous bronzy shade blush called Cider. I am going to pick that up soon. 😛
- Duo Sharpner: It is a very classy black sharpener and can be used to sharpen both fat and thin pencils . 😀 (Rs 199)
- Colorbar Foundation brush for liquid foundation application.Rs 500
- 2 lip pencils : Nude Pink and Wild Red Rs 225 each
- Nail paints 6-7 , nail paint remover and makeup remover.
She didn’t want to buy separate brushes for her rather wanted a travel brush kit that included most of the basic brushes . Colorbar has a Travel brush kit worth Rs 4000 that includes most of the basic brushes. Since I have a mixed experience with Colorbar brushes so we did not pick the kit.
- Inglot Travel Kit Set Red: It includes an angular crease brush, blending brush, lip brush, powder brush, blush brush and a concealer brush. Price Rs 3400
- Inglot Pressed powder: The texture of this powder was excellent and it matched her skintone to the T. It comes with a mirror and sponge.
- Lipstick and a lipgloss: Her matte red lipstick (Rs 680) and a sleek lip gloss (Rs 560)
- Inglot face Primer: Rs 900
She got two makeup pouches free with her shopping. 🙂
- MAC Tinted Moisturizer for her regular use. Rs 1580
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid for full coverage Rs 1580
- She picked another lip gloss- Creemsheen Lipglass in Partial to Pink Rs1050
- MAC Select Cover Up Concealer
- MAC Fix + Spray- She did a trial test a few days back and it did suit her skin.
- Makeup Sponge Pack Rs 200
We did not have time or else I had also included some Maybelline Moisture Extreme lipsticks, Lakme Eye pot in topaz and Colossal Mascara. Since hers is a Muslim wedding so no Lakme Liquid Sindhoor for her. I was telling her that she would miss “Chutki bhar sindhoor” episode at her wedding. 😛
If I have to sum up as to how should one make a wedding makeup kit here are the following points:
- Make a list of all the things you have or want to buy. This will keep your organized and you would know what to buy and what not to.
- Lipsticks: Keep a mix of light and bright shades in your collection. Pick up shades that you would use most often. Also pick up at least one or two lipsticks that match your wedding/ function dresses. If you like glosses, pick up atleast one clear gloss so that could be used with all the lipsticks. Recommended budget brands: Colorbar, Maybelline (Moisture Extreme), Lotus Herbal Lipsticks
- Blush : Pick up atleast one matte Blush and one shimmer blush. Recommended budget brands: Colorbar makes some excellent blushes. Lakme blushes from their Bridal Sutra range are also fine. Lotus Herbals Botanical Blushes.
- Lip pencils: Pick up atleast one neutral shade of lip liner and if you wear red lipstick pick one red lip liner for sure. Recommended budget brands: Colorbar (okayish), Lakme Glide on Lip Colour
- Liquid liner: You must pick atleast one basic black or brown liquid liner. Recommended budget brands: Lotus Botanical Liner, Colorbar Eyeliner, Lakme Eye Artist.
- Eye Pencils: Buy eye Pencils that suit the colour of your eyes and shades that you would mostly be wearing. I love Colorbar I Define and Colorbar I Glide Eye Pencils. Don’t buy just because of a pretty colour, not everything pretty might suit you.
- Eyeshadows: If you don’t wear too many eyeshadows, invest in eye palettes rather than picking up single eyeshadows. Just make sure that the palettes also includes the shades that matches your wedding dress, especially. Recommended budget brands: Maybelline makes some amazing quads (Rs 220), Colorbar Eyeshadow palettes. You may also purchase Colorbar Makeup box that includes 16 eye shadows.
- If you have oily skin, definitely buy a makeup primer. I know Maybelline has makeup bases but I don’t know if I want to recommend those. MAC has a prep and prime range and Inglot also makes makeup primers.
- Nail Paints: Same as lipsticks. Buy a few shades that match your wedding dress and a few that you can wear with other dresses. Recommended budget brands: Maybelline Colorama, Lotus Herbal Nail Paints, Colorbar Nail Polishes.
- Makeup Brushes: Totally up to you whether you want to buy a compact travel kit or individual brushes. Must haves would be a foundation brush, blush brush, 1-2 eyeshadow brushes, and powder brush.
- Compact: Definitely buy a compact for touch ups and regular use. Recommended budget brands: Maybelline Whitestay UV Compact, Lotus Herbals Botanical Compact.
- Foundation: Do invest in good foundations. It is such an important thing. Your base would make so difference to your look and DON’T buy foundations that are lighter than your skin tone. Buy the exact shade of foundation as your skin tone. Also make sure that you don’t buy foundation with illuminating particles. The illuminating particles would reflect the light and your face would look greasy and oily in pictures. Invest in a foundation that is matte and gives a full coverage Recommendations: Revlon Colorstay Foundation, Maxfactor Panstick Foundation, MaxFactor Age Renew Foundation. If you want to go for a high end brand, Lancome has an excellent foundation called Teint Idol Silky Matte. MAC also makes some amazing foundations, you may choose according to your skin type and skin tone.
- Mascara: Go for waterproof. Recommendations: Maybelline Colossal Volume Mascara, Colorbar Waterproof Mascara. High End: Estee Lauder Magnascopic Mascara, Lancome Hypnose Precious Cells Mascara.
- Also pick up sponges, cotton swabs, Q-tips, blotting sheets,makeup remover and nail paint remover.
- You may also pick a vanity kit for keeping all your makeup stuff. 🙂
- Definitely keep a basic moisturizer and a lip balm in your kit.
That completes your wedding makeup kit. I hope this proves to be helpful to brides-to-be. 🙂 If I have missed out on something, please let me know, I’ll add it.
And thanks to Ki and Poornima for asking me to write this article. 🙂
I wish I knew all of this before my own wedding. :-((
78 thoughts on “Wedding Make-up Essentials: Make-up Kit For Brides”
I too wish I knew all this when I got married or atleast some craze for makeup..sigh**
Thank you so much Rati..You are such a sweet :heart: :heart:
Now..don’t go near ants ok?
Thank you, Poornima. Lol!! I won’t. On second thoughts there are so many ants around these days. :sidefrown:
Wowww…and where was all this info when I was getting married???
I was thinking the same. 😀
:yes: :yes: :yes: like it really informative i have the same lip gloss from inglot it smells amazinggggggggg but no staying power.. rati i wanted to buy a crease brush and blending brush i was planning to buy them from ambika pillai but u told me that u dont have good experience with it so u think i should but from color bar or inglot are inglot brush prices cheaper than mac?? also wanted to tell you about the lotus make up remover i just bought it and its amazing its like to formulas u shake it and then it becomes one the bottel has pump u just pump a littel and the magic happens its price is very good i dont remember exactly but its was less than 200 may be 100 somthin may be even less cant remember exactly just wanted to share :beauty: :blush: 🙂
I have three Inglot brushes and don’t have a complaint even with a single one. I would be reviewing them in a day or two. Brushes are like investment, they go on and on for years. Inglot brushes are cheaper than MAC. Glosses generally don’t have a staying power. they are just to enjoy. 🙂
Don’t buy from ambika pillai. After2-3 washes only the bristles are going hay wire.
oh wow!! lotus is really doing some good job! 🙂 I wanted to purchase himalaya makeup remover but the store i visit often was running out of stock of it. 🙁 So I repurchased my fab india cleanser. using kaya hydra cleanser also these days. So lotus and himalaya are my next purchases. 🙂
ahhhh………..i am 15 and i own way too much makeup already…..think bout the time of my marriage when i have to shift all my makeup to a new home…i wud need a whole trunk just for it…..
I can understand, Fathima. :rotfl: :rotfl:
Thank you… That’s all I can say…. :-)) :-))
AAww!! you yourself buy such good stuff. 🙂
yay it’s up!!! 😀
Thanks Rati.. my list is MUCH longer now :rotfl:
Seriously speaking, I think a good primer, foundation and a few lippies are majorly all I need. And MAC TM!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:
.-= ki.´s last blog ..The Body Shop’s Strawberry Body Polish =-.
I know. :rotfl: Buy them asap and we want to see all your makeup. 🙂
i think this is an excellent post for those who’re getting married in the near future as it covers most good stuff available in the market today. one word of advice to would-be-brides is to take a long hard look at what you’re buying and which brands you’re choosing because spending so much money at one go does deaden sanity!
I know what you mean. I went and bought everything from Lakme for my wedding and later regretted buying most of it. 🙁 I so wish I had some interest in makeup before marriage. Sigh!!
don’t worry you’re catching up quickly 😀 better late than never! 😉
.-= Rima Kaur´s last blog ..Big Ass Thunder Thighs! =-.
Makes sense Rima :)) I have my wedding in December so will start from October so that I can do it bit by bit!
.-= ki.´s last blog ..The Body Shop’s Strawberry Body Polish =-.
fathima, same pinch..I am hardly a couple of years older than you and already acquired so much make up.
Guess my future husband better be alarmed 😛
.-= Palak´s last blog ..TBS Bath Gloves review =-.
hahah………..my mom is actually quite alarmed at the sheer amount of my makeup….
Palak.. Mine already is!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:
Why am I not surprized. 😀 😀
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
😥 😥 😥 😥 😥 😥 😥 😥 😥 where were you Rati when I was getting married…….
I didn’t know all of this when i myself was getting married.Booo hoooo 😥 😥 😥 😥
Me too feel the same way. I started using makeup only after I got married. I now feel that I should have done this long before when I had the luxury of time at my disposal :-(( :-((
I know what you mean , Lavanya. But still we are not late. Atleast now we have become aware of what to use and what not to. 🙂
Amazing haul this one! I’m sure your friend will look her best with all this 🙂
Yeah, she will Cynth, 🙂
Gr8 post Rati! I too remember picking up a lot of lakme, VOV & Streetwear stuff that I just cringe at the sight of now. Such a waste of money – but major learning curve 😀
Seriously. My makeup stuff was a shock and an eye opener. I would have never started this blog had I not bought all that rubbish stuff. So I am glad. 😀
Was just glancing older posts n got to read this one… Its an amazing post and it sums up everything so beautifully(both for wedding makeup and otherwise).. this has made makeup shopping so much sorted… Otherwise people(atleast I am ?:-) ) are all confused with so many brands and so many shades etc to choose from.. Amazing work Rati..!! :yes: 🙂
Would definitely go through this before I get married.!! :laugh: 😀 :-))
Oh my, am all Nostalgic now. 😛 Such good old days. lolllzzz :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
By the time you gte married may be we have a better list. 😀 😀 😀
hi..i am getting married this december…and my skin is oily and acne prone ..and worst of all am so confused about the colour of my foundation and trust me i still havent got my kind of foundation :waaa: ..need help…please can you please tell me if u have come out with a new list… :nababana: love ur blog… :thanks:
My god! Rati u are sooo expert…. I wish u were my sisss 😥 …. You have given really extremely useful tips.. i am going to get married soon and planning to buy make up kit.. Thanks to u, after reading all, i have got an idea about EACH AND EVERY product…
REALLY REALLY THANK U SO MUCH FOR THIS ARTICLE…………. 🙂
m soo soooo happy to see this blog actually the active blog.. :stars:
i think m here at d right time.. 🙂 as m getting married in coming month..
so, please suggest me what to include in my makeup kit… as i dnt have much knowledge about it…i generally don’t carry much of makeup .. 🙂
hey rati howz u? cud u plz suggest me foundation base of a good and medium range brand….n wat colour base should i bourght as my skin cls is same as urs..lolz 😉 …also i like to use compact as its also my basic need..my skin is oily so tell me th same n also suggest me wat kind of shimmer i shud used…..
Hiii…m getting married in next 3 months…so u know wats goin on in my mind where make up is concerned…m damn confused ?:) wat to buy and wat not. dis column helped me a lot. i will be grateful to you if u can suggest me some make up tips for my skin- oily+acne prone. My complexion is fair with brown eyes. please please help me…. :thanks:
hi…i like ur post.but im bit confuse as my marrige is on december…so when should i start
my makeup kit shopping :jiggy2:
i like the post. It is so useful for me as i am getting married at the end of this year. :thanks:
hi….really liked ur article…it proved to be really helpful in filling my make up kit:) . u wrote about mac primer…i have got mac prep+prime skin..i have a combination n more like oily skin…i sweat a lot after putting make up… can this product help? what will be its correct application.
will b really grateful if u reply 🙂
Thank you So much..My wedding is in 40 days and I am looking for suggestion on make up kit everywhere..and this really helped..Thanks for such an awesome website !
Can you suggest a good base for me?
I need a face primer/foundation which will conceal pigmentation n blemishes and give me a flawless look. and yes i will be getting married soon maybe dec or feb 😛 so any advice is welcome!
Hey Rati, thx aotttttttt. :dance:
My wedding is in the month of November & was planning to buy all of Lakhme Products. I hardly use any like basic things Kajal & Lipgloss.
I was looking out for some suggestions online & u know wat i pat mysely for doing this ‘This website z very helpful for filling my makeup kit with better products. :waaa:
I am a working woman and looking out for a suggestion for filling my kit with the products which are helpful for the daily use and give a simple and flawless look to my office.
so nice of you ….this is really awsome……..
This is really very helpful ,i luv this ….
Thank you so much buddy….. :puchhi:
haii rati.. i m new to this site i m really happy see very useful article bcz i m getting married soon n i m in search of new makeup kit . till now i only use kajal n some foundation n some lipstick now i really got to know all about makeup…thanks a lot for ur detailed article :yes: :yes: :yes:
i dnt want to miss anything frm this article when i m gng to shop so i copied to my phone.. :yahoo:
thanks a ton.. :puchhi:
hi Rati…went thru ur blog…….it ws really gud to know so much bout cosmetics and its use…pls help me as i donot have idea of which product will suit my skin….i’m getting married in 2 months of time…and have to shop for cosmetics in coming 2days only….
my skin type- oily…
color complexion- cant really say dark but not fair too….
pls list down all products which a bride would need and the company which i should prefer…
thanx a lot in advance!! i want to send my pic to u so dat u cn really know bout my skin color…!!
thank u sooo much I was sooo confused but you have gvn me complete solution thank u
I m getting married in jan 2013…plz suggest me wt brand shud i buy now..aftr u posted d article der is lot ofnew brand in d market…can u plz suggest me abt evrything…
I am soon getting married. But hardly wear any make-up. Now, I am thinking to buy some good and skin friendly products. Can anybody help me getting the right products according to Indian skin type.
Skin Type: T-zone oily prone to acne
Skin Tone: Fair & Black eyes
hi I am getting married in nov. dont know anything bout makeup. very confused what to do.
your article is helpful. still m confused how much to spend in it
I really love your blog and hav been reading it for couple of month now
Thnks u for ur reviews and posts.Really love it..