How to Straighten Hair
There are a number of ways by which you can opt to get rid of the frizzy and wavy tresses. Why else do all these hair straightening products exist in the market? With a variety of techniques you can resort to in the hair styling salons as well as at home, straightening your curly locks is no more a problem. Available in a range of prices, there are diverse methods available for you to get straight hair as per your demands.
Are you wondering how to straighten your hair? There can be a number of options for you based on what you want. Here are some of the most well-known techniques and methods listed for you:
1.Salon-Based Hair Straightening Methods:
• Thermal Reconditioning: This is one of the new permanent hair straightening techniques from Japan. The process helps to get straightened but healthy and manageable hair. Your hair is assessed and washed. Protein is applied and bonding is done by application of solution. Hair is tested again and rinsed. A protective layer of protein is applied and hair is blown dry. After that, hair is ironed in sections; the temperature is maintained in such a way that it does not damage your hair. Once ironing is done, a neutralizer is applied. Hair is rinsed, conditioned and dried. This hair straightening method is expensive and the session takes about six hours. It is advised that you go to a reputed salon and take the help of an experienced hair designer if you want to go for Thermal Reconditioning. Your hair stylist might ask you to maintain a routine till you visit the salon on the scheduled date.
• Ionic Hair Retexturing (IHR) Treatment: An advanced method that IHR is, this treatment is meted out in many a leading hair salons. You can opt for this method if you want the results to last long. It is also a Japanese hair straightening technique that locks nutrients and moisture while the ironing is being done. Not only is your hair straightened but the condition of your hair improves as well. If your hair has not been treated by chemicals prior to the treatment, you will get the best results possible. Straightened hair would last up to six months. It is one of the most popular methods because it works well on every hair type. The treatment takes almost four hours. Generally, the hair is washed with a special kind of ionic relaxant shampoo followed by the application of all the pre-treatment hair care products. After that, the IR formula is applied and then rinsed off. After a blow-dry session, your hair is ironed. Post treatment care has to be paid attention to; hence consult a skilled beautician while you go for IHR.
2. Hair-Straightening Methods At Home:
• Hair-Styling Products: With many brands offering gels, mousses and hairsprays, removing frizz temporarily is not a difficult job. These products generally coat your hair with polymers and as a result, you hair becomes straight. Hair creams are also available and you can purchase these creams at any cosmetic shop. There are creams that are silicone based or those that contain lanolin. You need to apply the creams on damp hair and start combing vigorously to get straightened hair. But hair creams can make your hair very limp and oily. While using such products may be cost-effective options, your hair can be robbed of softness and bounce. Your hair remains straight till you wash your hair.
• Flat Irons: This is one of the most common ways on straightening hair at home. You just need to invest in the irons and use it at home conveniently. Combing is balanced by ironing. However, you might end up damaging your hair in the long run if you do not know the way to control the temperature.
• Blow Drying: This is a very easy method. While many of you might prefer to get your hair blown dry in beauty parlor, it can also be done at home. Invest in a good blow dryer. Comb your hair strands and hold them in sections. Dry the sections using the hair dryer. The results however do not last long and it might not be effective if your hair is very curly.
3. Natural Hair-Straightening Methods
Unfortunately, you do not have any natural remedy for getting poker-straight hair. However, if you want to stay away from chemicals, here are a few tips you can try:
• Refrigerate coconut milk for one hour. Beat the milk and collect the creamy layer that forms on top. The cream has to be mixed with lemon juice (three lemons) and beat thoroughly till it becomes thick. Apply on hair and cover your head with a plastic for an hour. Your hair strands would be smoothened.
• Whisk two eggs. Put one spoon of olive oil in it. Mix it thoroughly. Apply it in your hair by making small sections. Wrap these sections in silver foils. Wait for one hour. Shampoo your hair to get relatively straight hair.
How To Choose The Right Perfume
Rose Bun – Long Straight Hair Styling Tutorial
Matrix Split End Hair Serum
Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight Shampoo
Hairstyle: Hairstyles for Short Hair
How To Do Pedicure At Home in 5 Easy Steps
Hair Split Ends: Causes
49 thoughts on “How to Straighten Hair”
dats a nice article timed perfect fr monsoon wen hair is at it’s frizzy best 😛 :scream:
Thank You Vibrant Ladyyyyyyy :toothygrin:
none of this home made janjat for me 🙂 am going to parlor to get this done! 🙂
Lol Gayathri….actually, its not possible to get straight hair with home remedies..as if have alrdy mentioned…at the most u can smoothen the texture :shying:
and the other home remedies…..they r temporary 🙁
nyc article …. :preen: :preen: :preen: :preen:
i just bought the phillips straightener…..cud you please suggest some products which will protect my hair from the heat.
Hi Aani, u can check out these links….. hope they wud help 🙂
Hi Rati…I shared a few links in reply to Aani’s query…i tried to post the reply twice…why is it awaiting moderation?
more than two links go in moderation automatically. 🙂
ohh..thanx for the info Rati. 🙂 .dint know dat 🙁
Last tips are amazing :thumbsup: but me dont want to straighten my hair ! I love my wavy hair a lot !
:thanks: great Taps….u r naturally blessed with wavy hair i guess :toothygrin: Hoz ur day? where did u go finally?
Just kahin nahi, ghar pe thi, I had monginis chocolate cake though ! :drool:
omreeta i have quite straight hair… dont do anything. 😀 😀 i would probably want to know how to do curls . :silly: Good article :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hehe…so, next article i gonna write wud be on how to curl ur hair 😛 😛 Thanku Rati :thanks:
Nice article Somreeta..I got smoothening treatment at a salon 5 months ago and I loved my new look..its pretty easy to maintain also though I do miss my wavy hair!
:thanks: Ankita…i too love the straight hair look but im very sceptical abt going for these treatments! 😕
Is smoothening ok for hair. Please let me know what is the cost and does it look like straightening ?
nice one somreeta 😀 perfect for monsoons 😉
Here the Brazilian blowouts are becoming a rage for hair straightening and smoothening,…
Thankewwwwwwwwww Bee :woot: 😉 😉
Nice article! I am planning to buy a hair straightener very soon. Would like suggestions of good brands available in india.. pls do not suggest online shopping products. I want to enjoy the full in-shop retail therapy of selecting and buying… O:)
im not at all into hair straighters and stuffs…… 😕 since i dont have a first hand experience, i wud prefer not to guide u on this… IMBBians…plz help
i luv ma wavy hairs..though straigh hairs attract me alot..bt m rel :nababana: uctant to undergo any chemical treatment….
even im sceptical abt chemaical treatments :chewnails :chewnails
hey…hi …nice info… *thankyou*
Tell me one thing what is ideal temperature setting for hair straightening….with that iron device…
Any reviews for Braun Straightner ……………………