If someone asks me what I want as a gift, I unabashedly tell them that they can gift me a perfume and also I have no qualms about telling them which brand I would prefer. Well, I know, it’s very inglorious of me to do so, but clothes and jewelry as gifts are a big no-no for me because I never really like what others choose for me. As far as perfumes are concerned, I have no inhibitions in accepting whatever comes my way.
People have been distilling and using perfumes since ancient ages, perfume distilleries were used ever since 2000 B.C. One of the most ancient forms of applying fragrance was in the form of oil and wax. Egyptian women used to wear wax cones on their heads. These cones would slowly melt in the heat releasing the perfume and fragrance. Since Egyptian women used to shave their heads completely, they had no problem letting all the wax and grease depositing on their head, how disgusting.
My sense of smell is quite strong, good fragrances excite me, pleasant fragrances calm me down, and bad odors give me a headache. I am big time into perfumes and fragrances. Fortunately, I do not suffer from body odor, no garlic or cumin overdose for me, so I am not so keen on deodorants and roll-ons. During my college days, MTV and Archies collection was my favorite, but as I grew more mature, my taste in wearing fragrances underwent a drastic change. I have worn perfumes from Christian Dior, Estee Lauder, some signature styles like Celine Dion, J’Adore, and Chanel. My all-time favorites are Chanel and J’Adore.
READ THESE FOR WEIGHT LOSS: Diet Chart for Weight Loss | How to Lose Weight With PCOS | 10 Best Herbal Pills for Weight Loss | 10 Best Tricks for Lazy People to Lose Weight | Best Diet for PCOS to Lose Weight
I personally would love spraying the perfume into the air and walking into the mist, but it’s a pity I can’t afford it. The perfect areas to dab on the perfume are the pulse points, behind the ears, wrist, both sides of the neck, back side of the elbows, and behind the knees. I also like to keep my wardrobe perfumed, for this, I just spray mildly on to one of my ironed clothes and let the fragrance spread from there. During my window shopping trips to the malls, I collect the paper blotters with perfume testers and store it my handbag. This all may make me seem like a perfume fanatic, but I am not, I just like pleasant smells around me.
- Each fragrance can be put into a fragrance family, grouping it with many other similar fragrances.
- Commonly there are Four main groups (Citrus, Fougere, Oriental and Chypre), which are then divided into sub groups.
- Feminine fragrances have floral tones and male fragrances have Fougere style fragrances.
The common fragrance family groups are listed below
READ THESE FOR GLOWING SKIN: 9 Best Face Packs For Glowing Skin | 10 Tips by Shahnaz Husain for Glowing Skin | Home Remedies For Glowing Skin | 7 Besan Face Packs for Glowing Skin | Beauty Products For Glowing Skin
- Fougère (pronounced ‘foo-jer’): Fougere fragrances are one of the most popular men’s families. These will often contain Lavender and Oakmoss. Examples include: Masculine: Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren, Platinum Egoiste by Chanel, Cool Water by Davidoff, Jazz by YSL, Paco Rabanne pour homme.
- Floral: The majority of feminine fragrances are floral. Some are a bouquet of different flowers, with each individual flower complementing the others; some use one main flower and complement it with other notes and accords; others are very simple and can just be the scent of a flower alone, which are also called single-note scents. Examples include: Masculine: Agua Lavanda by Puig, Insensé by Givenchy Feminine: Chanel No 19, Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel, L’Air du Temps by Nina Ricci, Charlie by Revlon.
- Oriental fragrances are common in both male and female fragrances. They are often warm, spicy and sweet and contain ingredients such as Vanilla and Tonka bean. Sandalwood is also common in these fragrances. Examples include: Masculine: Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein, Joop! Homme by Joop!, Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier, Equipage by Hermes, Egoiste by Chanel Feminine: Jean Paul Gaultier “Classique”, Angel, Opium by Yves Saint Laurent
- Chypre (pronounced ‘sheep-r’): A Chypre fragrance contains woody, mossy, and floral notes. This kind of fragrance will also contain Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Bergamot, and Vetiver. Examples include: Masculine: Givenchy Gentleman, Fendi Uomo, Vetiver by Guerlain, Aramis, Van Cleef and Arpels, Quorum by Puig, Antaeus by Chanel, 212 Men by Carolina Herrera. Feminine: Cuir de Russe by Chanel, Mitsouko by Guerlain, Chypre de Coty.
- Marine: The Marine fragrance family is relatively new and is used to describe scents that evoke a feeling of the sea air. An ingredient called calone is used to give the marine scent.Examples include: Masculine: Kenzo Pour Homme, L’Eau D’Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake, New West for Him by Aramis Feminine: Escape by Calvin Klein, Inis by Fragrances of Ireland, Aquawoman by Rochas.
- Citrus: The earliest colognes were in the citrus family. Citrus scents are fresh and very enlivening. Examples include: Masculine: Eau Sauvage by Dior, D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana, Happy by Clinique. Feminine: Cristalle by Chanel, Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden, Diorella by Christian Dior.
CATEGORIES OF PERFUMES:
Eau De Toilette, Eau De Parfum, Eau De Colonge are the most famous categories into which fragrances are usually classified. These terms refer to the strength of the fragrance or how much high grade alcohol or water has been added to the fragrance oils.
- Eau De Parfum. Generally, the most concentrated form you can buy. This type of perfume has 15%-25% perfume oil dissolved in alcohol. Any mixture with a lower proportion of oil to alcohol is an eau (water).
- Eau Fraiche (Usually 3% or less perfume oil).
- Eau de Cologne (2%–5% perfume oil).
- Eau de Toilette (4%– 10% perfume oil).
- Eau de Parfum (8%–15% perfume oil).
- Soie de Parfum (15%–18% perfume oil).
- Parfum or perfume (15%-25% — also sometimes referred to as extract or extrait). Perfume oil (15-30% perfume oil in an oil rather than alcohol base).
- Eau De Toilette. Used to describe a concentration that is either the same as Eau De Parfum or between Eau De Parfum and Parfum.
TOP, MIDDLE, AND BASE NOTES:
Top notes provide the first scent impression of a fragrance once it has been applied to the skin. They are usually lighter, more volatile aromas that evaporate readily. Their scent usually lingers for between 5 and 30 minutes. Middle notes are referred to as “heart notes.” Middle notes make up the body of the blend. They may be evident from the start, but will usually take 10-30 minutes to fully develop on the skin. They are the notes that classify the fragrance family (floral, oriental, chypre, etc). Base notes are those with the greatest molecular weight. They last the longest and are also important as fixatives and slow down the evaporation rates of the lighter notes, giving the fragrance holding power. Common base notes include oakmoss, patchouli, woods, musk and vanilla.
BEST OF IMBB: How To Make Vitamin C Serum At Home | 7 Best Pigmentation Creams in India | 8 Natural Products to Add Volume to Thin, Fine Hair | 8 Ways to Tighten Sagging Breasts | How to Remove Pimple Marks from Face | Top 10 Shampoos for Dry and Rough Hair | 8 Best Drugstore Foundations That Do Not Oxidize
SOME OF THE TRIED AND TESTED PERFUMES BY ME:
1. Christian Dior J’Adore Summer Fragrance Alcohol-Free Moisturizing Spray 100ml/3.4oz.
For: women. Designer: Dior. Olfactive Group: Floral Fruity.
Best of IMBB: Best Hair Serums for Dry Frizzy Hair | Homemade Hair Regrowth Oil to Prevent Hair Loss | How To Lose Fat From Face in 30 Days | Homemade Face Pack for Instantly Bright and Glowing Skin | 10 Products To Get Rid of Skin Pigmentation | 7 Ways To Make Black Lips Pink!
PRICE: Rs. 3185 (Indian Rupees).
BEST OF FAIRNESS: 10 Best Skin Whitening Creams in India | 7 Homemade Face Packs for Instant Glow and Fairness | 6 Best Herbal Fairness Creams | 10 Best Fairness Packs in the Market | 7 Best Pigmentation Creams in India
J`Adore Summer Fragrance by Dior is a floral fruity fragrance for women. The fragrance features Champaca flower, mandarin, crystallized orchid, jasmine, muguet, violet, Damascus plum, Amaranth Wood and blackberry musk. Summer limited edition.
- Top Notes: Champaca, Mandarin orange.
- Middle Notes: Orchid, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Violet.
- Base Notes: Plum, Woodsy Notes, Blackberry.
SOLUTIONS FOR ACNE: 5 Remedies to Treat Acne at Home | Top 10 Creams for Fading Acne Scars | 10 Home Remedies to Treat Scalp Acne | 8 Home Remedies to Reduce Acne Scars | 10 Tea Tree Oil Products for Acne-Prone and Sensitive Skin | Home Remedies to Treat Hormonal Acne
It smells lovely, one of my favorite scents. Its very light, summery, floral, feminine, and romantic.
2. Celine Dion Perfume by Celine Dion Eau De Toilette Spray 3.3 Oz.
HAIR: 8 Natural Products to Add Volume to Thin, Fine Hair | 8 Ways to Regrow Hair on Bald Spots | 6 Hair Growth Secrets from Around the World | 7 Best Hair Oils For Faster Hair Growth | How to Make Rough Hair Silky | 30 Killer Hair Care Tips
For: women Designer: Celine Dion Olfactive Group: Floral Fruity
PRICE: Rs. 2021.
Celine Dione is a translucent and dewy fragrance with floral and fruity notes. The perfume starts with floral notes combined with warm amber, musk and woody notes. It is good for everyday use, but due to its refined and complex composition, it could be used in special occasions, too. Its main notes are red fruit, heliotrope, bergamot, lily, cyclamen, violet, mandarin orange, jasmine, sandalwood, amber and musk. The nose behind this fragrance is Patricia Bilodeau.
- Top Notes: Orange Blossom, Tiare Flower, Yellow Rose, White Peach.
- Middle Notes: Cyclamen, Lily of the valley, Red berries.
- Base Notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Musk, White Woods.
Light, good for causal and daily use, not overpowering, not a party-wear kind of perfume.
3. Opium Oriental Limited Edition by Yves Saint Laurent 50 ml-1.6 fl.oz.
For: women. Designer: Yves Saint Laurent Olfactive Group: Oriental Floral.
PRICE: Approximately 2500.
DESCRIPTION:Opium Oriental Limited Edition by Yves Saint Laurent is an oriental floral fragrance for women. The fragrance has the mains notes of mandarin orange, apricot blossom, osmanthus, jasmine and vanilla.
PERSONAL VERDICT: A big no-no for me, not my kind of scent, did not work at all for me, very overpowering, good for spraying in handbags and wardrobe, I am not going for it again.
4. Eternal Love Elegance for Women 3.4 fl oz/100 mL.
For: Women. Designer: Eternal Love. Olfactive Group: Floral.
PRICE: Approximately 1500 (not sure).
PERSONAL VERDICT: Very light, lovely fragrance, best for causal and daily use.
5. Coco Mademoiselle Eau de toilette by Chanel.
For: women. Designer: Chanel. Olfactive Group: Chypre Fruity.
PRICE: Rs. 3953.
DESCRIPTION: Lighter and sweeter, it starts with cooling citrus freshness, the orange of Sicily and Calabrian bergamot united with aromatic note of Sicilian grapefruit. Sparkling litchi gives a beautiful fruity nuance and brightens the classical floral duo: rose and jasmine. The gentler notes of patchouli, vetiver, Bourbon vanilla and white musk are balanced in a new way and create a sweet and soft base.
- Top Notes: Orange, Grapefruit, Bergamot.
- Middle Notes: Litchi, Italian Jasmine, Rose.
- Base Notes: Patchouli, Tahitian Vetiver, Bourbon Vanilla, White Musk.
I am in love with this fragrance, it is so delightful. Its very feminine, it’s a light lingering scent. Gives me confidence. Good for day wear and night wear. Seductive. Not overpowering and not over the top……delicious too.
6. Fahrenheit by Dior.
Christian Dior Fahrenheit Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml/3.4oz
For: men Designer: Dior Olfactive Group: Woody Floral Musk.
PRICE: Rs. 4301.
- Top Notes: Lavender, Mandarin Orange, Hawthorn, Nutmeg Flower, Cedar, Bergamot, Chamomile, Lemon.
- Middle Notes: Nutmeg, Honeysuckle, Carnation, Sandalwood, Violet Leaf, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Cedar.
- Base Notes: Leather, Tonka Bean, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Vetiver. Classified as a intense and sensual fragrance.
Begged from my brother-in-law, when he denied, stole it, but was not worth all that effort. It is very masculine, very in-your-face kind of perfume. Works only for men. Big goof-up by me.
7. Pure White Linen by Estee Lauder.
For: women Designer: Estee Lauder Olfactive Group: Floral Aldehyde.
PRICE: Pure White Linen Eau De Parfum Spray Rs. 4088 for 100ml/3.4 oz.
DESCRIPTION: Pure White Linen has aldehydes that are included in the composition to give an impression of white cleanliness. In addition to aldehydes, a plentiful of exotic flowers have been used. The main notes are grapefruit, mandarin, raspberry, pear, green Granny Smith apple, white ginger, cardamom, red tulips, rose absolute, honeysuckle, gardenia, tuberose, jasmine, iris, osmanthus, cedar wood and heliotrope.
It’s a clean, fresh, daytime scent, its spring and summery kind of perfume, very airy, light, and wearable at all occasions. Not at all overpowering.
- Top Notes: Raspberry, Grapefruit, Apple, Pear, Italian Mandarin.
- Middle Notes: Honeysuckle, Red Tulip, Tuberose, Gardenia, Jasmine, Rose.
- Base Notes: Patchouli, White Heliotrope, Cedar.
8. CHARLIE RED BY REVLON.
For: women Designer: Revlon Olfactive Group: Oriental Floral.
PRICE: Rs. 350 for 3.4 oz/100 mL.
DESCRIPTION: Charlie Red by Revlon is an oriental floral fragrance for women. Top notes are orange blossom, gardenia, plum, black currant, violet and peach; middle notes are carnation, tuberose, orchid, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are honey, sandalwood, amber, musk and cedar.
- Top Notes: Orange Blossom, Gardenia, Plum, Black Currant, Violet, Peach.
- Middle Notes: Carnation, Tuberose, Orchid, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Lily of the Valley, Rose.
- Bottom Notes: Honey, Sandalwood, Amber, Musk, Cedar.
Though it’s much cheaper than any of the perfumes mentioned above, it can give the others a stiff competition. The perfume is very strong, but very pleasant. Great confidence booster, seductive, and recommended use is in the evenings.
Smelling good is as important as looking good. Even if your makeup is flawless, your hair is in place, and you look bodylicious, smelling pungent and obnoxious can take away everything from you, so look good and smell right.
STOP PRESS: Today’s Pick is a Glam Rock Watch