Every woman craves for a fresh and glowing face. Not all of us are blessed with such skin and this is where makeup plays an important role. More than any one else, women who suffer from acne prone oily skin want to make their face more presentable. But, the most common mistake they do is that they apply more products than are actually needed. This in turn creates more problems for them.
Using the right makeup for oily skin is particularly important if you suffer from constant breakouts. Over doing it on the makeup can clog pores and make your skin much more vulnerable to blackheads and whiteheads. Mentioned below are few makeup tips for oily skin.
Makeup tips for oily skin:
• Clean your face with a mild cleanser suitable for your skin type. Apply astringent on your face and wait for a few minutes. Moisturizers are important for oily skin too. Smooth on a mattifying oil-free moisturizer to keep skin soft while getting rid of shine.
• Always apply foundation primers. Opt for silicon based primers that will help your makeup to stay and not slid off after some time.
• As far as foundations go always choose a matte foundation that provide full-coverage. These foundations are more durable when compared to light or medium coverage foundations. Also, keep in mind to pick a foundation that is one shade lighter than your skin tone. It will help you to cover up the darkening caused by the secretion of oil on your face. Use minimal amount of foundation, a light coating of foundation will last longer when compared to a thick layer of foundation.
• Use matte variety pressed powder as it is exclusively designed for oily skin. You should lightly press the powder into your face rather than smoothing it over. Smothering the powder on your face can weaken the foundation. Use a powder that is one shade lighter than your skin tone.
• Apply eye makeup primer onto lids prior to your eye shadows. Take a flat head eye shadow brush and use a stippling motion to pack the eye shadows on compactly. Avoid creamy eye shadows as they may crease on you.
• Apply some shadow on top of your eyeliner to lock the colour and avoid any smudging.
• Pick a blush that has a good staying power. Avoid using cream or liquid blushes because they heighten the shiny appearance of oily skin. A gel cheek stain will work best for you. Though it will fade gradually in the day yet, it won’t leave an unattractive streaking like a powder blush.
• You can use shimmer on the lips.
• Use oil-blotting papers to lift shine away throughout the day.
• Avoid products that contain alcohol as alcohol will deplete oil in the skin thus forcing the body to produce more. This will make your skin oilier than before. Water-based products are the best to use as makeup for oily skin.
Basic Eye Makeup Tips
Monsoon Makeup Tips
Summer Makeup Tips
Flawless Makeup Tips- 4 Ways, 4 Minutes
20 Makeup Tips & Tricks
12 Quick Fix Makeup Tips
7 Tips to Apply Body Glitter
Makeup Tips for Dark Skin
CTM for Oily Skin
How to Apply Eye Makeup
How to Apply Stage Makeup
How to Apply Leg Makeup
Amway Attitude Cleanser for Oily skin
Best Moisturizer For Oily Skin
32 thoughts on “Makeup for Oily Skin”
Awesome tips era…Me gonna follow them now for sure…me oily-combi!! 😀
cali….. :puchhi: how r u flng now? Had lunch?
yuppp Shivani..me much better now….the blockages are gone and everything is running around my eyes, ears and nose!! 😐 😐 :weep: :weep: :weep:
How are you? I was waiting for your reply yesterday!! 😛
Wow…Era, very useful Post, i have oily acne prone skin only, saving the page :))
any recommendations on matte foundation, matte powder and where I would find oil blotting papers? I currently use the Loreal true match foundation and the Body shop mineral powder. any other options?
hi aruna…. u shud try TBS tea tree blotting sheets….thy r grtt for oily skin 🙂
aruna, also u can try revlon foundation, the one for oily skin….
TBS blotting papers are nice!! 🙂
Thanks folks for the recommendation :thanks: :thanks: . will go today itself and pick up..I have the Revlon but hardly used it..will give it another shot..
mineral cosmetics are grttttttttttt for oily +sensetive skin aruna 🙂
ya should slowly start changing over the mineral for everything but i get so tempted after reading all the reviews here that i keep buying different stuff all the time..3 days later the interest is gone and it sits at the bottom of my draw.. :hihi:
me too eyeing TBS blotting papers 🙂 has anyone reviewed them?
I think Rads reviewed that..on her blog weekendramblings.com
Me using it since some time now..so planning to review it too!! 😛
here is the review:
Thanks Kimi :thanks: will wait for your review
i read the review. pretty neat. let me check whether its available in the TBS store in Hyd.
real good tips era….very handy…. :yes:
tbs oil blot sheets chhayeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;((((((((((((((((((((((((((((!!!!!!!
me 2 oily pimply! Thank u 4 d post :angel:
Mac paintpots are great eye shadows (base yes but as eyeshadows too) for oily lids … put em on in the morning and you are set for the day !
I am very guilty of not using primers … :zombiekiller: :zombiekiller: :zombiekiller:
:makeup: :makeup: :makeup: :makeup: awesum tips era…. ll surely try it . . .
Yay! 😀 Sending this to my sister right away! Thank you Era! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Any gel cheek stain brand you know that we can buy here !! ?:)
TBS lip and cheek stain is neither cream nor gel, it’s part liquid-y, part gel-ish :whistle:
Thanks for the info Sukanya !
you can also get benetint (reddish) .. and benetint posie is a pinkish shade which is lovely..
Can anybody suggest me complete skincare for oily skin? I have super oily skin in summers. 🙁
I have to travel by bus everyday, by the time I reach my office my face becomes a disco ball :weep: :weep: I have big pores + freckles + dull skin + shiny face :dazed: . I hate summers :yuck:
I don’t want to apply foundation. Kindly suggest me some Good cleanser,face wash, lotion anything which can combat oily skin for atleast 4-5 hours if not most.
Hi akshi, check this may be. 🙂
While travelling na.. cover your face with a cotton dupatta or a scarf and wear sunglasses. it would protect your skin. 🙂
For full matte coverage try Revlon colorstay foundation for oily skin and Maybelline matte morphose foundation, for blush try colorbar blushes,very nice for the price, and as a face primer many good ones are there but if you are beginner start with Maybelline Uv base like me, me dont have much knowledge regarding primers actually.Hope this helps !
Very Informative post 🙂
Pls,Can anyone do a similar article for dry skin too. I’ve dry skin and need help in choosing the right kind of products. 🙂