WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Before sharing some tips to remove stains from silk fabric I would like to share with you some amazing facts about this luxurious fabric.
1) We all know that silk is produced by silkworm but did you knew that it takes around 30,000 silkworms to produce 12 pounds of raw silk.
2) Silkworms that are fed only mulberry leaves produce best silk.
3) It is also said that sleeping on silk bedding is good for skin because of the presence of amino acids in silk.
4) It is a naturally self adjusting fabric i.e. it is cool in summers and hot in winters.
Now, next time you lay your hand on your silk fabric always remember what goes behind creating this delicate luxury and be a little cautious towards it.
Tips to remove stains from silk fabric:
1) To remove sweat stains from silk use vinegar. Mix vinegar and water in equal parts and pour it on a piece of soft cloth, dab it on the stain and then rinse with warm water.
2) Use diluted ammonia to get rid of deodorant stains from silk.
3) To remove coffee or tea stains first sponge the area with lukewarm water and then gently rub glycerine over it. Wait for half and hour and then rinse the area with warm water.
4) To remove chocolate stains clean it with the solution of denatured alcohol (ethanol) with household ammonia. Mix the two in equal parts and then gently clean the area with warm water.
5) Alcohol stains are easier to remove when fresh. In such a case pat the stained area with warm water several times. For more stubborn stains glycerine can be applied on the fabric and then rinsed off after waiting for about half an hour.
6) To remove oil stains from the silk fabric use talcum powder. Sprinkle the powder and let it stay for around 20 minutes. Brush away the excess powder off the fabric. Cornstarch can also be used in place of talcum powder.
Though these tricks can come handy at the time of emergency yet it is always safe to send your silk garment to a professional.
Do’s and Don’t
Given below are few points that should be kept in mind while removing stains from a silk fabric at home.
1) Never use hot water on silk as it will distort the shape of the fabric.
2) Never use chlorine products on silk.
3) Never use ammonia straight on the fabric. Always dilute it with water in the ratio of 2:1.
4) Never wring silk garment to remove water from it.
5) Never use hot temperatures on silk as it would damage the fabric.
6) Always iron a silk garment when it is damp as heat may damage the fabric if it is completely dry.
7) Never use plastic sheets to store your expensive silk garments. Always use cotton bags to store them.
8) Never bleach your silk garment as it would damage the colour of your fabric.
9) To maintain the smoothness and shine of silk always let your silk garment to air dry (not sun dry) never put it in a machine dryer.
How to Remove Stains from Clothes
How to Store Your Winter Clothes
Where to Shop Summer Clothes in Delhi in Winters
Stone Bindis and How to Match them with Clothes
How To Remove Lip Stains
The Body Shop Lip and Cheek Stain